shape
carat
color
clarity

McCain gives up in...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe!

I posted about that in the Dem thread.

I cheered! See ya, McCain!!!

So glad my state sees what I see.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a good plan for McCain - why waste resources? Plus, more of his voters might come out if they know Obama is winning there. Not saying Obama won''t win Michigan, I just don''t think it''s a gimme for Obama.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 1:53:21 AM
Author: IndyGirl22
Sounds like a good plan for McCain - why waste resources? Plus, more of his voters might come out if they know Obama is winning there. Not saying Obama won''t win Michigan, I just don''t think it''s a gimme for Obama.

that''s sort of counter intuitive - why would they come out if mccain himself thinks he stands no chance and they haven''t heard from him in weeks?? and the state wasn''t a total gimme for Obama....there are a lot of mccain supporters here. most analysts are saying that the move was surprising and not really a good sign. they are putting all of their resources into states that went red in the last election - which makes sense....but also makes you think that they know they can''t compete in other swing states.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 8:26:09 AM
Author: mimzy

that''s sort of counter intuitive - why would they come out if mccain himself thinks he stands no chance and they haven''t heard from him in weeks?? and the state wasn''t a total gimme for Obama....there are a lot of mccain supporters here. most analysts are saying that the move was surprising and not really a good sign. they are putting all of their resources into states that went red in the last election - which makes sense....but also makes you think that they know they can''t compete in other swing states.
It''s something I learned in John Kerry''s campaign. He was ahead going into the election but ended up losing because people stayed at home. As a McCain supporter, I''m hoping some of those Obama supporters will do the same since he is ahead in the polls. I am from Indiana, red since the 60s, and haven''t seen any McCain funds here but Obama''s squad has been all over the place!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Indy,
Well, the polls were closer four years ago, and take a look at Indiana now! Barely pink, and on some sites totally tied, which seems rather unrealistic. This site is more centrist: http://www.electoral-vote.com/ You can check this day in 2004 here, an interesting contrast.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:29:44 AM
Author: swimmer
Indy,
Well, the polls were closer four years ago, and take a look at Indiana now! Barely pink, and on some sites totally tied, which seems rather unrealistic. This site is more centrist: http://www.electoral-vote.com/ You can check this day in 2004 here, an interesting contrast.
I actually have no idea how Indiana or any other traditionally red "battleground" state will turn out - I was just explaining the reasoning for my statements that might have seemed counter-intuitive to others. It''s no secret that Obama is banking on votes from many people who are fickle when it comes to voter turn-out so it''ll be interesting to see who actually shows up on election day. I live in the urban capital so it''s Obama central here; my parents live in a suburban conservative area and it''s all McCain with Obama door-to-door salesmen coming around every other day.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...we're (NM) normally a swing state (not that we are ever really taken into account being that we only have 5 electoral votes) but that map that swimmer posted has us being weak Dem. And CO being barely Repub? They are almost always a Dem state.

I have to say that I'm surprised about FL being barely Dem. And about TX being weak Repub--eh?! That should be a bright crimson state!

But McCain giving up in a state isn't a good sign IMHO. Does anyone know if he's having money trouble?

It's going to be an interesting election. I will be glued to my TV.

ETA: I was going to add that our University is having early voting in our Student Union Building (because NM SUCKS at counting votes on time) and a good majority of the students and most of our faculty are very liberal. Not to mention the area around the University is very liberal as well. So that will make it extremely easy for those young voters, who are notoriously bad at getting out to vote, to get lunch and vote.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 6:28:19 PM
Author: FrekeChild

But McCain giving up in a state isn't a good sign IMHO. Does anyone know if he's having money trouble?
I haven't heard he's having money trouble, what I have heard is that this is not uncommon for a candidate. It's crunch time, and they want to put their money where (they think) it matters most.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
if you really want to see a map, link Silver is a former baseball stats man who got addicted to political polling. He has a better track record than Zogby, (only Zogby had Kerry up in 2004) and his premise was that younger voters with only cellphones would actually vote. He was wrong then. Wonder what is going to happen now?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results