shape
carat
color
clarity

Maytal Hannah

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lorax24

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''m new on here and I have a question...

Can anyone give me any information about Maytal Hannah? Her designs are beautiful, but i just wanted some advice from someone who has dealt with the company.

Thanks!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I understand she is a one woman operation...but everyone has seemed very happy with their interactions with her and she produces beautiful things. Hopefully someone who has bought from her will chime in.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you read her bio on her website? Impressive. Her work is beautiful. I had a quote from her for a project but I didn''t do through with it. Had I, she would have been my choice as it was an reproduction of an Edwardian ring. Her detail work is beautiful.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Maytal made my engagement ring (actually it was an "upgrade" ring for me) two years ago. She''s also done "huggie" hoop earrings for me. (She is the designer and has a benchman that does the work) She is very sweet and easy to work with. The appraiser who looked at my setting said it was such good work he thought at first it was machine made (it''s a hand made setting). Meaning I guess, it doesn''t have the imperfections that you might see with a handmade setting. I would highly recommend her!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Maytal is in the process of making my e-ring. Although I never spoke with her, my boyfriend said she is very nice and he has been pretty happy. I am a little surprised to hear that she uses a bench person - she never mentioned this to us but we never asked. We just assumed it was her that will make our ring and it sounded like that based on our interactions. Would it be rude to ask?

Although it is too early for me to judge her work, the rings she has made for PSers are gorgeous. However, you have to deciede if she is right for you. She does not provide cads (like White Flash, ERD) so you can''t really see your design in advance. We were also not provided sketches of what it will look like. This actually keeps me up at night but my boyfriend isn''t concerned.

My biggest lesson learned with this process is that the professionals recommended here all do good work but each one is a little different and you have to match them up with how you work. For example, when purchasing a diamond - are you comfortable with trusting their eye or do you really need great photos, aset images, videos, etc? When custom making a setting, are you comfortable with leaving the entire design direction up to them and seeing the end product? Or do you really need to see CADs and sketches in advance? I am a very technology dependent, research crazed, and overly analytical person so our choice of vendors don''t really line up with these traits - I am not saying I am disappointed in any way (too early to judge) but it does make me worry.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo, since it''s your ring you should feel free to ask her anything you want. I doubt she''ll be offended.
35.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 1:17:54 AM
Author: Cind11
CharmyPoo, since it's your ring you should feel free to ask her anything you want. I doubt she'll be offended.
35.gif

I absolutely agree that you should feel free to ask her anything you want in order to feel comfortable with the process. I, too, was surprised to find out that Maytal would not be the one actually making my ring. I think I got confused because her bio mentions her intensive technical background in the jewelry making process and I assumed that meant she was the jeweler as well as the designer.

To answer the OP's question: My experience with Maytal was pretty good. There are a few things about my ring I'm not 100% happy with, but the overall quality is nice. I don't think I would use her again, mainly because I've found another jeweler whose work and customer service I find better.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 11:54:51 AM
Author: Demelza

I absolutely agree that you should feel free to ask her anything you want in order to feel comfortable with the process. I, too, was surprised to find out that Maytal would not be the one actually making my ring. I think I got confused because her bio mentions her intensive technical background in the jewelry making process and I assumed that meant she was the jeweler as well as the designer.
I have followed along on your past posts and saw your ring from Maytal. I was wondering if you actually got sketches from her.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2008 1:20:01 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Date: 11/25/2008 11:54:51 AM

Author: Demelza

I have followed along on your past posts and saw your ring from Maytal. I was wondering if you actually got sketches from her.

No, I did not receive any sketches nor did I ask for any. My design was so simple, I didn''t feel it was necessary. That said, if it would make you feel more comfortable, perhaps you should ask her. It''s not at all an unreasonable request. I vaguely remember her providing a sketch for another PSer (Sera??).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Demelza - My bf asked for sketches (denied because she said our inspiration photo is better) or work in progress photos (denied which I guess is normal because they don''t want us to get scared). She also confirmed that she is only a designer and can''t make rings as nice as her bench person.

Sorry to thread jack. The bottom line is that I am having great anxiety over this process. I am a really picky person and hard to please - I am so worried that I won''t love it and will be itching for a re-set even before our wedding! I keep freaking out that the prongs won''t be nice or the ring will turn out looking too heavy (which I find in a lot of her work). Breath breath breath ....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, if you provided photos of the ring you want made, then I don''t think you need to worry so much. Maytal''s work is excellent and giving her a photo certainly eliminates the need for a sketch. In fact, that has to be the safest way of all to have a ring made..well, next to asking her to duplicate a design she has already made.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:14:00 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
Demelza - My bf asked for sketches (denied because she said our inspiration photo is better) or work in progress photos (denied which I guess is normal because they don''t want us to get scared). She also confirmed that she is only a designer and can''t make rings as nice as her bench person.

Sorry to thread jack. The bottom line is that I am having great anxiety over this process. I am a really picky person and hard to please - I am so worried that I won''t love it and will be itching for a re-set even before our wedding! I keep freaking out that the prongs won''t be nice or the ring will turn out looking too heavy (which I find in a lot of her work). Breath breath breath ....

I know how nerve-wracking the custom process can be. I, too, am extremely picky (too picky for my own good!) and have reset my stone many times as a result. The good news for you is that you chose a very good designer whose jeweler makes lovely pieces. It took me a while to realize that high-end handmade is really the way to go.

I don''t think you should be too concerned that you haven''t received any sketches or pictures. I didn''t receive any from 23rd Street and I don''t think Leon provides any either. I''m a little surprised that Mark Morrell provides CAD images because I thought one only uses CAD in the production of cast pieces. Perhaps his aren''t handmade??

Anyway, in regards to your specific concerns about the prongs and overall heaviness of the ring, have you discussed these with her? I think it''s best to be very upfront about what you want and don''t want. I know what you mean about her rings looking heavy, but I also think that the pictures on her website tend not to show off her work in the best light. For whatever it''s worth, I don''t find my ring heavy looking at all.

When will your ring be done? I really hope you love it! I know how torturous the waiting can be.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker. I just need to relax. The problem is that it is an inspirational photo and there are many things I want to change about it. In fact, the only thing I probably want to keep is the split shank. I am really picky about the head but apparantly .. I was told that is not a big deal.

Demelza - I haven't been talking to Maytal directly. I relay all my stress to my boyfriend and he communicates them in a nice and calm manner. I have been hounding him about the prongs and the need for the ring to be dainty. He said he can't repeat it any more times than he already has. Haha. The ring should be ready in 2 weeks or so.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Regarding the "heaviness" of Maytal''s rings, don''t forget the pictures are greatly magnified so I think it makes her settings not look as delicate. Like Demelza said, you (or your fiance) should discuss your concerns with her. I know originally she was going to make the shank on my ring about 1.8mm wide, but having pave made me nervous so I asked her to make it a bit thicker. The ring ended up being about 2.1mm which still looks thin but seems more secure to me. The nice thing is, she gives you her opinion if she thinks something won''t work or won''t look good. (I told her I still wanted the ring to look delicate) You really need to make your wishes known since hopefully, you''ll be wearing this ring for a long time.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I see your point about the magnified photos. However, everyone''s photos here are greatly magnified and don''t have the same heaviness. I will keep my mouth shut for now - couple more weeks to go! I have to just trust in the process.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi...

I had Maytal do a ring for http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/editor.icons/link.gifmy wife, and she went off of a photo I provided. I must admit it turned out a little different than I expected, but it was beautiful nonetheless, and the quality was superior than I think anyone else would have provided.

My wife's ring is amazing, delicate, and like a piece of candy.

tsav1166.JPG

tsav1177.JPG

tsav1188.JPG

The photo on her website looks amazing, but I think it looks more realistic with my photos.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful Moose!

Charmy - hugs! Any chance you could talk to her yourself just for piece of mind?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Moosejaw - I hope I am not being too nosy but do you mind sharing a photo of your inspiration photo?

:) - I won''t be able to speak to her myself. It''s probably better that way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results