shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe those Self-Checkout aisles will go away ...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shopped at a Whole Foods market in Washington DC today.

They had NO check-out clerks, and NO self-checkout.

You walk around the store putting things into your basket. A few specialty areas, like cheeses, get scanned before you put them in your basket (presumably because they may be random cuts and priced differently.)

When you leave, you pull out your credit card and pay. The machine you pay at recognizes you - or at least, it knows what goods you have placed in your basket. You don’t have to scan the items in the basket; you just bags them. The receipt shows up in your Amazon account an hour or two later.

I was shopping with my host, who said her total and receipt have only been wrong once - and that was during the shake-down period for the new system.

The catch? You have to use a credit card; you cannot purchase anything with cash!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I shopped at a Whole Foods market in Washington DC today.

They had NO check-out clerks, and NO self-checkout.

You walk around the store putting things into your basket. A few specialty areas, like cheeses, get scanned before you put them in your basket (presumably because they may be random cuts and priced differently.)

When you leave, you pull out your credit card and pay. The machine you pay at recognizes you - or at least, it knows what goods you have placed in your basket. You don’t have to scan the items in the basket; you just bags them. The receipt shows up in your Amazon account an hour or two later.

I was shopping with my host, who said her total and receipt have only been wrong once - and that was during the shake-down period for the new system.

The catch? You have to use a credit card; you cannot purchase anything with cash!

lots of people still want to use cash
especially old people

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lots of people still want to use cash
especially old people

That would be me - LOL! But seriously, they do not accept cash. At all.

It turns out that many shops in that area do not accept cash, though for a different reason. The police have asked shops in some neighborhoods to go to a cashless system in order to reduce the possibility of armed robberies!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That would be me - LOL! But seriously, they do not accept cash. At all.

It turns out that many shops in that area do not accept cash, though for a different reason. The police have asked shops in some neighborhoods to go to a cashless system in order to reduce the possibility of armed robberies!

That's too bad. So do all the grocery stores now require payment with card in that area? That could really be difficult for the elderly and also people with poor credit who can't get a credit card, or have a very low limit. I know it is an attempt to avoid crime, but there should be an alternative for some folks who can't use a card.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's too bad. So do all the grocery stores now require payment with card in that area? That could really be difficult for the elderly and also people with poor credit who can't get a credit card, or have a very low limit. I know it is an attempt to avoid crime, but there should be an alternative for some folks who can't use a card.

can they use a debit card ?
mine is like a visa credit card but only works off the funds i actually have on hand
its how i pay for most things on line, its also a regular eftpos card instore, it just depends if i inset and put a pin in or use paywave - we like paywave at work even if its more expensive for us as a merchant as it is contactless so no germs (we still sanatize the machine several times a day)
but yes, older people get all confused because as they are fishing around in their purse the terminal has already found a card and extracted the funds

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can they use a debit card ?
mine is like a visa credit card but only works off the funds i actually have on hand
its how i pay for most things on line, its also a regular eftpos card instore, it just depends if i inset and put a pin in or use paywave - we like paywave at work even if its more expensive for us as a merchant as it is contactless so no germs (we still sanatize the machine several times a day)
but yes, older people get all confused because as they are fishing around in their purse the terminal has already found a card and extracted the funds

I’m here on a brief visit and haven’t had to shop beyond the grocery store, so I’m afraid I don’t know whether the other stores accept debit cards. At that particular Whole Foods store, you have to use a credit card that’s associated with your Amazon account. (You may recall that Amazon bought Whole Foods several years ago.) You also have the option of using a system that scans your palm as you enter the store - when you’ve finished shopping and are ready to leave, another palm scan charges your purchases to the credit card you’ve previously linked to your palm (it feels weird even typing that!). So you don’t even have to carry your card with you, let alone remove it from your purse or wallet, to pay. You do, however, have to have an Amazon account!

By the way, Amazon calls this their “just walk out” system. Amazon’s website says that you do have the option of using a self-check-out lane, so my host may have been wrong about that. I didn’t notice a separate self- checkout lane.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" ... when you’ve finished shopping and are ready to leave, another palm scan charges your purchases to the credit card you’ve previously linked to your palm ... "
Ick! :eek2::eek2::eek2:

That'll work until enough people, instead of being robbed, get a hand chopped off.

Of course, as usual with updating public safety regulations, 74.3 hands will have to be chopped off before the government mandates Amazon stop doing this.
(Same with eyes being gouged out and used for retinal scanning to make purchases.) :knockout::knockout::knockout:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results