shape
carat
color
clarity

May cancel engagement but already ordered e-ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Grasshopper

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you in advance for reading and replying to this post.

If you already put down a deposit for both the stone and the e-ring setting (it was already ordered and will be done in a couple weeks) but unfortunately things are not looking too bright for you and your significant other to the point that the engagement might be canceled, what should you do?
8.gif
33.gif
Obviously, this mess came unexpected and it''s already too late to cancel the order of the setting. The store has a 30-day return policy on the stone, but since the setting is custom made, it cannot be returned or exchanged whatsoever. What do you think are some of the options we may have i.e. let the store keep both the deposit and the setting or we have to pay the balance of the setting though we won''t be using it? I haven''t contacted the store yet because it''s too late to do anything and I don''t want to say anything to them until we know what''s going to happen. If you know anything about this, please help. Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Grasshopper and welcome
35.gif
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am sure many experts and vendors will chime in here to advise you, I can't imagine that this is all that uncommon - it must happen occasionally. I think if it was me, I would contact the store ASAP to advise them of the situation before the setting is completely done, there might be a way that it can be reused and by halting it now might save you some money. Ask them what they would suggest in view of this unfortunate event as to what you have to pay, but bear in mind they are running a business and have already done work on your behalf. Worst case you will not have to pay for the stone, but may have to pay for the setting, but better that than a bad engagement. Sometimes we just have to put these things down to experience sorry to say. At least you won't be stuck with a complete unusable ring. I wish you the best of luck and hope that your story ends happily. The deposit on the stone may be refundable within a certain timeframe but I think it is rare to get anything back on custom work as it can't often be reused and most vendors have this policy. I am sure you will get better advice later on but I hope this helps for now, as our vendors will see your post later and will give you a better idea of how to proceed.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Contact the store. It may not be too late and they may be able to stop work before it becomes too late. Explain your situation to the manager and ask them what their policy is. They may be willing to undo the whole deal or they might be willing to refund some, but not all of your deposit in order to cover costs that the have incurred so far. Depending on what you’ve ordered, sometimes there are costs to the jeweler that they can’t recover and it’s fair that you should bear these. In other cases it’s a pretty simple matter for them to put it back into stock and sell it to another customer. Ask them. Most jewelers are pretty reasonable people.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, there went my answer. Nicely said!

Wink

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I third that. Call them, tell them. I''m sure it''s not the first time. Ask them if they can work with you. Even if you loose a deposit on the setting only.. it might not be as bad as trying to re-sell the whole ring at a later point in time.

Cutting your losses per se... But definately don''t wait. Call as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results