shape
carat
color
clarity

Matching certificates not matching stones....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Badger

Rough_Rock

Hi,

Wondered if you could give me some advice.

33.gif

I bought on Friday 3 loose stones for a trinity ring for my wifes 10th anniversary, at the time of purchase 2 shoulder stones were set in a earrings and the centre one in a sealed HRD certificate-so hard to have a proper look at.

The stones were 2* VS1 F 0.5 carat BGI graded - 4.83-4.91*3.29 and 4.95-4.98*3.19. and 1* VS2 F 0.7 carat (HRD graded) total cost including setting is £5200 inc vat.

Today I picked up the ring and when set they looked great with the naked eye, although not perfect as the 2* 0.5 carat stones were slightly different proportions and it kind of shows (although in earring setting they looked identical). Really happy with the centre stone. However when looking thought a 10* loupe I could see a significant colour difference between the shoulder stones and the centre stone, all of which should be graded F.

The jeweler puts this down to the different certificates but is happy to replace the shoulder stones (that cost me £1,100 each) to a HRD certificated F colour, VS1/VS2 0.5 carat for an additional £450 or to replace them at 0.42-0.45 F VS1 at the same price.

My gut feeling is that I should ask him to take the shoulder stones out completely and refund me for the 2 I am unhappy with and go elsewhere to buy 2* 0.5 F VS1. (or 0.45 F VS1 if I can get them, they seem too be lots cheaper per carat)

Or am I being fussy, but from my point of view as a layman I should not be able to se a colour difference between stones at x10, and it is pretty clear that from what I have read this probably means more that 1 grade....it will but me for the rest of my life...

How shodul I solve this problem .....or am I making a mountain from a mole hill...

Views anybody? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results