shape
carat
color
clarity

Matata's Backyard Makeover

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While we we're gone these past 3 weeks, the gravel walkways are almost finished, the waterfall is done although I think I want to tweak the design a bit, lots of perennial flowers and shrubs were planted along with 6 quaking aspen trees. Still to do are more plants, finishing the walkways, installing lights in a few places. There are already more bees, birds and butterflies in the yard taking advantage of the new plantings. I hope some of the local frogs find the water features before winter.

And best of all, I get to order seeds to plant in the greenhouse!

main_gate.jpg

_37999.jpg

small_water_feature.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics

parterre.jpg

waterfall_1.jpg

_38000.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last ones

_38001.jpg

_38002.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks AMAZING!!!! What are you going to grow in the greenhouse?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1470612506|4063403 said:
Wow, it looks AMAZING!!!! What are you going to grow in the greenhouse?
Winter crops -- kale, lettuce, peas, beans and whatever other goodies I find in the Territorial Seed Catalog. Love that catalog. I'll also put tomato plants in there in March and will have ripe fruit by end June.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is incredible!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata-

Lately I have found my real life dreary, so when I log onto Pricescope, I only want to escape to threads that divert me. I was never interested in backyards, so I didn't look at this thread until today.

i must say that I found this thread quite diverting! This really didn't turn out to be about a "backyard" at all. It is about a really creative construction project! And it is being just beautifully executed. Like everyone else, I adore the chandeliers in the greenhouse although when I saw them I wondered if you would really want to sit in your greenhouse. Wouldn't it be very warm in there? Will you use it as a sitting area as well as a place to grow plants? (By the way, I do understand that you will not be putting chandeliers in the greenhouse; I am simply discussing the idea that you had of putting them there.)

I hope to continue to follow this thread from now on. It is a great project!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470619212|4063418 said:
[I adore the chandeliers in the greenhouse although when I saw them I wondered if you would really want to sit in your greenhouse. Wouldn't it be very warm in there? Will you use it as a sitting area as well as a place to grow plants? (By the way, I do understand that you will not be putting chandeliers in the greenhouse; I am simply discussing the idea that you had of putting them there.)
Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

I was going to have a larger greenhouse -- about 16 x 14 -- and would have used part of it as a sitting area during the winter and part of it for plants. I think the one we got is 14 x 12 and although there's still enough room for a smaller sitting area, I've decided against it. BUT, I do want a chandelier in there. I've been looking at mini-chandeliers but haven't found the perfect one yet.

I'm happy that this thread lifted your drearies for a little while.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1470620824|4063422 said:
AGBF|1470619212|4063418 said:
[I adore the chandeliers in the greenhouse although when I saw them I wondered if you would really want to sit in your greenhouse. Wouldn't it be very warm in there? Will you use it as a sitting area as well as a place to grow plants? (By the way, I do understand that you will not be putting chandeliers in the greenhouse; I am simply discussing the idea that you had of putting them there.)

I was going to have a larger greenhouse -- about 16 x 14 -- and would have used part of it as a sitting area during the winter and part of it for plants. I think the one we got is 14 x 12 and although there's still enough room for a smaller sitting area, I've decided against it. BUT, I do want a chandelier in there. I've been looking at mini-chandeliers but haven't found the perfect one yet.

I'm happy that this thread lifted your drearies for a little while.

And I'm glad you are going to get a chandelier!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, its beautiful. :love: :appl: :love:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I love it!!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, Wow!!! It looks so beautiful! I'm so happy you are looking at chandelier's.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this chandelier with potential. I like that it looks kinda like a bird's nest. I could add some mini garden tools and a few crystals

kichler-organique-3-light-mini-chandelier-42886oz.jpg

mini_tools.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must say that that chandelier is very unique and attractive and I think your ideas for enhancing it are fabulous! You are very talented and creative. Was your career in an artistic/visual field? And why don't I know what you did professionally after all these years? ;))

AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470709838|4063722 said:
You are very talented and creative. Was your career in an artistic/visual field? And why don't I know what you did professionally after all these years? ;))

AGBF

My talent is looking through zillions of pictures and cobbling together something I like. I wish I had some artistic talent. In my early career I was an editor, then a wildlife rehabilitator. Later career until retirement, vice president of human resources at a public university.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1470710337|4063725 said:
AGBF|1470709838|4063722 said:
You are very talented and creative. Was your career in an artistic/visual field? And why don't I know what you did professionally after all these years? ;))

My talent is looking through zillions of pictures and cobbling together something I like.

No. You have much more than that, Matata. You have a great eye. You "see" what will be interesting, balanced, and beautiful in things that others do not and you can combine things that others would never think of combining. You have a gift.

Deb :wavey:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the harsh crisp lines of the steel with the organic rocks, plants and wood - very beautiful! Is the steel treated at all or will you let it age/patina naturally?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1470764130|4063928 said:
I absolutely love the harsh crisp lines of the steel with the organic rocks, plants and wood - very beautiful! Is the steel treated at all or will you let it age/patina naturally?

I am thrilled with the contrast between formal and informal, organic and steel. I'm going to let the metal age naturally. I'm hoping to get a nice deep rusty red patina. My regret is that I decided not to splurge and use copper instead of steel in which case I would have treated it to keep it from getting a patina. I did get copper lights though as a consolation.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1470708810|4063717 said:
I found this chandelier with potential. I like that it looks kinda like a bird's nest. I could add some mini garden tools and a few crystals

Stunning light fixture! Fits in with the whole (gorgeous) project! Hope the cats helped like they did with your kitchen reno. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, I love these chicken wire sculptures :love: I would love to have a life sized-buck and doe and a fox for the garden. Looking on line now but best ones I can find are in UK. I hope I can find a local artist willing to do these.

lion.jpg

fairy.jpg

fox.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata,

Welcome back!

Your backyard looks amazing! What a wonderful oasis you're creating.

Those chicken wire sculptures are incredible!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sculptures are very cool. I especially like the way that the first two were made. Good luck finding a local artist!

Deb :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata-

Have you seen these grapevine deer?

Deb

grapevinedeer1.jpg

grapevinedeer2.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1470793547|4064109 said:
Matata-

Have you seen these grapevine deer?

Deb

Yep, they're in my project folder under consideration and would be a less costly alternative to the wire. Those wire sculptures are verrrry expensive :shock:

I might contact the Art Dept. at the local University and see if a student would be willing to consider the work as part of a required term project.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really loving your yard! I moved to our new home a month ago I'm still getting used to my new yard and all its fruit trees. I also have a fushia fragapiani tree (I have to decide to replant it somewhere though!) But I love the thought and planning that went into this as well as the pictures!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your back yard is so beautiful Matata :love: I can imagine it must be wonderful to sit near the fountain relaxing and taking in all the beautiful landscaping!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It looks wonderful! You did a fabulous job. Enjoy!!! :D

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a fantastic time at the plant nursery on Friday. Picked out the last 50 perennials which were planted on Saturday. Basically, I chose anything that had a flock of hummingbirds and butterflies hovering over them. These plants are for a long alley-like area by the patio that gets dappled sun. Lots of texture with ferns and ornamental grasses, flower colors are purple, blue, coral, pink, red, orange, yellow, silver.

On the rock wall in front of waterfall, rock cress, ice plants, sedums.

rock_wall.jpg

pink_ice_plant.jpg

rock_cress.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some gorgeous blues, interesting leaves, coral, grass.

_38029.jpg

pale_blu.jpg

coral__pink.jpg

_38030.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results