shape
carat
color
clarity

mastercutgems.com aqua opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clammer

Shiny_Rock
I have been looking at this aqua for a few months, and I think I love it. I''m just starting to explore the wonderful world of colored stones and I really don''t know much about them. What do you think? I''m living overseas so it would be difficult to return if I didn''t like it. Should I take the plunge, or wait until I return home to start my collection?

7.51 Russian Aquamarine

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some love aqua and some would rather use it in their fish tanks
2.gif
I think its pretty. Aqua can look a bit grayish in some lights so you have to know if thats what you really want. Per the picture, the stone posted to me looks ok, but a little paler than I personally would want in an aqua.

The size is very good and you''d be hard pressed to find aqua that size and clarity (and no heating) for the same price.

And if it sings to you, then maybe thats just your stone. If you''re hesitating, explore the reasons why.

I''m sure I didn''t help huh?
2.gif

-A

clammer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the reply Arcadian. I''m hesitating for a few reasons. I don''t feel I''m educated enough to make a purchase that will be hard to return if I don''t love it, and I don''t really love aqua''s. It''s my son''s birthstone so I thought it might be fun to start with a mother''s ring. I like the look of the cut, which I actually don''t know it it is good or not. I also like that it isn''t heated.

We are going to Thailand in a few weeks. I think it may be smarter of me to pick up some cheap stones and start learning what I like.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good idea to looks for some gemstones on your trip. I personally love aquas but many of them are so pale they barely look blue to me. One thing to watch for on aqua photos is the background; often the backgrounds is usually white or gray so if they look blue then the aqua appears to be more blue than it would in real life.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re not crazy about aquas and if you couldn''t easily return the stone I wouldn''t do it. Getting a stone that you don''t love (and not exactly a cheap one) just because it''s your son''s birthstone is not a good enough reason IMO. You can have a mother''s ring with another stone, maybe that of his favorite color, the color of his favorite toy, some whose name sounds similar to his name etc. There are numerous ways to create a mother''s ring that will not just carry a nice symbolism, but that you''ll also enjoy wearing. Not to mention that vendor photos almost always difer from what you''ll see IRL, so I''d wait a little until the right thing comes along. Trust me, you''ll know it when you see it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm if you''re not in love with it I wouldn''t get it. While it''s pretty, and a lovely cut, it looks quite pale, and not the nicest blue IMPO.

Is there a little zoning going on there??

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
The colour would bother me. It looks pale and grayish, and while elegantly modest, it's just a little boring. Still, the cut looks nice, and it's a big stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a good size and well cut aquamarine. In terms of colour, there are better ones out there but then again, perhaps you might prefer a paler blue? What do you think of it? Is this the right shade of blue you are looking for? If not, considering that returns will be difficult since you aren’t in the US, I’d keep looking.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you REALLY don''t like them all that much, then at the price, I have to say don''t get it. On the other end of it, for its size it is priced well, and the cutting on the stone is lovely. The color isn''t my favorite though it may be for someone.

But you have to like the stone for it to be of any value to you. So IMO, I think its sort of an expensive stone to take a chance on, especially knowing it could be a hassle for you to send back. I only go in for a big spend if know I like a gem species and I''ve bought the cheaper version. Not everyone does that but being that I don''t have a money tree in my yard, its how I go about it.

-A

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
For those of you that don''t like the color, or think that it''s not the color that exemplifies aquas, would you mind posting a stone that is closer to "the" aqua color. I know that "the" aqua color is subjective, but what is your ideal?

I''m a beginner, too, and to me this looks like aquamarines I''ve seen all my life (and big and well cut to boot!). So I''m curious as to the better aqua tones.

Thanks for helping us newbies out!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2010 1:10:38 PM
Author: lavatea
For those of you that don''t like the color, or think that it''s not the color that exemplifies aquas, would you mind posting a stone that is closer to ''the'' aqua color. I know that ''the'' aqua color is subjective, but what is your ideal?

I''m a beginner, too, and to me this looks like aquamarines I''ve seen all my life (and big and well cut to boot!). So I''m curious as to the better aqua tones.

Thanks for helping us newbies out!

For me its this:

litnongiantaqua1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT is what I call an aquamarine.
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2010 3:18:37 PM
Author: Chrono
30.gif
Yeah, but that aqua costs over $47,000!! Gotta think that Rebot has other uses for that kind of dough, although I''m pretty sure she would like that stone.
9.gif

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Gah, I'm so untrained. If you hadn't told me that was an aquamarine, I would have sworn it was a blue topaz.

ETA - off topic: I'm not getting e-mail updates on these threads. I've clicked the button that shows at the bottom when you post, and I've tried clicking the subscribe button at the top of the thread. Neither has worked so far. Am I doing something wrong? I'm starting to forget all of the threads that I'm trying to keep tabs on.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2010 8:41:51 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Date: 1/7/2010 3:18:37 PM
30.gif
Yeah, but that aqua costs over $47,000!! Gotta think that Rebot has other uses for that kind of dough, although I''m pretty sure she would like that stone.
9.gif
so would we!
9.gif

Ok ok, so coming back to earth (47k is more than my car anyway)

This one

http://litnon.com/preview.php?cat=199&id=7102

I could live with it were it as described though there''s some gray there.

the other is this one
http://litnon.com/preview.php?cat=199&id=5605

its more baby blue and I see less gray than the other I posted but its also a bit bigger and more expensive. I like the shape too.

But sadly, I really don''t like aqua all that much because of the gray and the aqua I DO like? well you saw what I posted!!

I swear I need a sugar daddy.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/7/2010 8:41:51 PM
Author: Fly Girl
9.gif
Don’t we all wish we have that much money to splurge on a honker? Look at the size of that aqua too!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s true that the finest aquamarine should look like a super vivid blue topaz. This is the reason I am not fond of aquamarines as well because the ones I can afford are too gray and the finest ones, while expensive, might be mistaken for a blue topaz.

From what I hear, the email update feature (subscribe) doesn’t work at the moment and has not been for a while?
33.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To the original poster: granted I''m a total novice, but I think the aqua is very pretty.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 8:57:09 AM
This is the reason I am not fond of aquamarines as well because the ones I can afford are too gray and the finest ones, while expensive, might be mistaken for a blue topaz.
Put one in a 2000$ setting and I guarantee that very few people will think of blue topaz once they see it
9.gif

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that the aqua from Mastercut is a fantastic bargain. 7 1/2 carats and $480 comes out to $64 per carat. Stones of this quality are typically wholesaling at around $150 to $200 per carat, maybe a bit more. It''s all a size/price/quality comparison. You can''t get $1000 per carat aqua for $100 per carat no matter how hard you look, (unless of course you get skunked by someone selling a synthetic). Comparing this stone to something costing ten times as much is not really a good comparison and believing that you can get top quality stones for a pittance based on what things "cost" on Ebay is a nice dream, but not very realistic.

If you don''t like something you shouldn''t buy it regardless of it''s price, but if you do like a stone and put off getting it because you think that something else, at a lower price/better quality, will always pop up in the future, then you could easily end up holding an empty bag. In this case, a clean blue aqua rough of the size required to cut this stone right now would cost more than the cost of this cut stone.

mastercut aqua.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a pretty color, and if I''d been stalking it for a few months I''d get it..but then, I''m not overseas either. Will it be a while before you''re home?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the mastercut gem is beautiful. And he has a nice return policy. But if you aren't an aqua fan, they are kinda soft and can look a bit, washed out. So I'd say start out with something that you love and that absolutely grabs your attention.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results