shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise ring... need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have been offered a Marquise diamond ring for a pretty low price, I think, and I would like some comments about what you guys think!

I am going to meet up with the seller in N. Cali. this weekend to see it in person. The stone comes with a GIA report. The ring came from Ida''s in Cuppertino. Here are the specs:

.90ct
E
VVS2
9.27 x 5.10 x 3.16
Depth - 62%
Table - 59%
Girdle - Med to Thick
Sym/Polish - Good
Culet - None
Fluorescence - Strong Blue

It is set in Platinum Engracved Antique-style mount with .65ct of side diamonds in baggs and rounds.

Similar stones are showing the price to be around $4400, but they don''t have Flourescence. I like the setting too so it''s a plus.

What would be a good price to pay for this ring, considering it''s used and has Strong Blue Fluor?

I am leaving tomorrow morning so any quick advice is really appreciated!!
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try it on and if the ring beggs to stay, why not ? It's all in the looks
2.gif

The strong fluorescence definitely has something to do with the price, but this doesn't mean it'll look anything worse than intriguing, if at all.

A couple of colorless VS1 or beter with strong blue fluorescence get quotes between $3600 and $4000 around here. With the stone in hand, I'd be looking for a pleasantly symmetycal cut (many marquises do not pass that, I think), decent brilliance and lack of damage to the setting and stone (given those thin tips of the marquise).

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I LOVE fluorescence! I was just wondering what would be a good price to pay for this ring?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
What's the seller asking for it?

I'm always a little wary of strong fluorescence making a diamond look milky. Hopefully you can examine the ring outdoors on a sunny day.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
She''s asking $2200, but she said we can negotiate when we meet.

The only time I have to meet is in the evening so I will not be able to examine it in the sun... is there any way to mimic the same effect with indoor lighting?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds very worth that !

Strong light should do: supermarkets are pretty reliable providers - those are really bright lights. Sounds silly, but it should work. It''s always nicer, IMO, to "walk" the ring and see what it looks like on hand rather than examone closely under a direct light source on the counter (desh, whatever). The background colors make diamonds look different - the more patchy the background, the more realistic.
2.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a loupe you can bring just to make sure the diamond hasn't been chipped or cracked or an obvious inclusion that wouldn't match the GIA certificate? Hopefully the seller will have some fluorescent or halogen lighting somewhere. I was going to say that about half of the estimated retail would be a good asking price. I would aim low at about $1850 and see if she'll go for it!! Then perhaps meet her in the middle at $2000?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have 2 loupes I plan on bringing. One is 10x and the other is 20x. I can spot most VVS inclusions with no problems, so hopefully I can tell if there''s any damages obtained after the grading was done.

We agreed to meet at a Starbucks in Cuppertino. I know it''s not a good idea because they have lights that rival Tiffany''s
2.gif
, but it''s the only place I know of. Can anyone tell me if the plaza on De Anza and Steven''s Creek has a supermarket?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
This is my favorite part:

cd_12_sb.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
a fuzzy pic:

marquise 2.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
In the sun. It doesn''t really look milky, but you never know...

marquise 3.jpg

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 2
6.gif
7:47 PM
Author: ForteKitty
I have 2 loupes I plan on bringing. One is 10x and the other is 20x. I can spot most VVS inclusions with no problems, so hopefully I can tell if there''s any damages obtained after the grading was done.

We agreed to meet at a Starbucks in Cupertino. I know it''s not a good idea because they have lights that rival Tiffany''s
2.gif
, but it''s the only place I know of. Can anyone tell me if the plaza on De Anza and Steven''s Creek has a supermarket?

There''s not a grocery store in that same plaza, but across the street on Stevens Creek there is a Target and a little down the block (on Stevens Creek between DeAnza and Stelling) there''s a Whole Foods. Hope it goes well!
1.gif
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, forte, that is amazing!!! i hope it works out! can''t wait to hear.....

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks a bunch!! Hopefully I will have a new bauble by the end of this weekend!
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I asked if she would lower the price a bit, and she offered me $2100... which is pretty good considering her original asking price was $2300. Should I try to talk her down some more? Perhaps to $2000, or possibly even $1900? She''s not selling this to support her kids or anything... this was her engagement ring from an ex-fiance and she''s selling it because she''s now engaged to someone else.

I really like marquise shapes for some reason, and in order to get diamond for this price from any vendor, the best i''d end up with is a .9, K, Si1, not including a setting. This is a quality stone and the setting''s nice too... and it''ll look huge on my hand. I''ve been pretty good this year... should I buy this as a Christmas gift for myself?
12.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, i''m sure you could say "would you take ($1900)" whatever amount you feel comfortable with. all she can say is no! it''s a great deal and a beautiful ring. i wish i could come across something like that! you should definitly buy it for yourself....it is beautiful!!! if you don''t get it for you, i might have to have you get it for me!! good luck!! keep us posted.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that is a very pretty ring--and sparkly. I love MQs. I am a bad person to ask. I just say "DO IT!" when the diamond is pretty! I have a "Life is short; treat yourself well" philosophy.
9.gif
11.gif
2.gif

Let us know what happens!
1.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i think its an extremely pretty setting--and it looks like the right shape for a good marquise.................the fluor is actually a great discount. If the stone appears truly clear under the various lighting ..........doesnt matter at that price

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! IT''S GORGEOUS!!!!!

I just got back from my Tahoe trip, and I absolutely had to come here to thank those who nudged my along with my purchase.

The diamond is absolutely stunning. Crystal colorless clear, blue in the sun, no oilyness or milkyness-- just this beautiful sparkling blue, and a wonderful curvy shape. It sparkles under every lighting, which I thought was impossible to achieve with marquise shapes. The workmanship on the mount is impeccable, and it fits my middle finger perfectly. And most of all, I got it for a fabulous price!! Merry Christmas to me!!!
9.gif

I will take pictures tomorrow when I get a chance to!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am so happy for you fortekitty!!!
36.gif
i knew you were gonna love that ring! some people have all the luck! can''t wait to see the pics!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results