shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw some lovely J and K color stones on here and, I thought I had the stone all picked out but then I talked to the a few people and they said that there isn''t any way you could put a GIA K color in white gold or platinum because it would show the tint and not to even think about EGL. That shot my budget all to ****.
So now I have to look for a really good SI1, J or and I which I fear will be too much.
I am looking for a longer skinnier stone with no or as little a bowtie as possible. I was hoping for a 11.5-12mm length.
My budget is 3500.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 7:21:03 AM
Author:autumngems

I saw some lovely J and K color stones on here and, I thought I had the stone all picked out but then I talked to the a few people and they said that there isn''t any way you could put a GIA K color in white gold or platinum because it would show the tint and not to even think about EGL. That shot my budget all to ****.
So now I have to look for a really good SI1, J or and I which I fear will be too much.
I am looking for a longer skinnier stone with no or as little a bow tie as possible. I was hoping for a 11.5-12mm length.
My budget is 3500.

IMO, marquises are not particularly bad showing color... and if you like then narrow, ll for the better - because if there is some tint, it would show more towards the tips.

YG should be fine. Comparing K with D side by side... not fair game. But this doesn''t mean one would automatically shine away at you and make the other cry
11.gif
Diamonds are diamonds - and well cut marquises are fairly rare birds. If you end up with one, chances are it will stand comparison well beyond whatever color grade that is.

EGL.. why not. As long as you keep in mind that grades don''t tally 100% and you may want EG:''s ''I'' to make sure it is at least as good as GIA''s ''J'' - although these grades are not as precise as folk would want them - they are not ''guaranteed'' in any way by the labs. (
34.gif
Look here ) Small detail...

My 2c.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 7:21:03 AM
Author:autumngems

I am looking for a longer skinnier stone with no or as little a bowtie as possible. I was hoping for a 11.5-12mm length.
My budget is 3500.

''Skinny'' marq means 2.5:1 l/w or more. The shape doesn''t look half bad that long
2.gif
like this one doesn''t especially with the wide sidestones...

And it looks like there are some right on target - I am not recommending these or not - just meant them as an example of what could the result may look like in the end: weight 1-1.5, G-J, SI1-2, table & depth 60-ish 2.5-3:1 l/w

The search engine at Whiteflash did short work of the serach because it allows to select proportions (range of L/w).

LongMarq.JPG

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
There are plenty of people on here that have J and K stones in platinum, but I think most of them are rounds. I think a marquise would look a bit yellow in platinum if it''s a J or K. Personally, I would stick with H or above if you don''t want to see any color. As far as a bowties goes, you will have to see the stone in person or ask the vendor to look at it and tell you what the bowtie looks like if you''re buying online.

Here''s one that almost meets your requirements:

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/search.php?src=9483574

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m afraid SI2 will show the inclusions and I want an eye clean. Also those 12mm look shallow.
I saw one on 4loosediamonds.com. I wonder if Whiteflash can get it?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2006 2:00:04 PM
Author: autumngems
I''m afraid SI2 will show the inclusions and I want an eye clean. Also those 12mm look shallow.
I saw one on 4loosediamonds.com. I wonder if Whiteflash can get it?
There must be some diversity of opinion about depth, at least judging from the AGA tables, 60% is not considered shallow for marquise... There are too few examples of marquises with cut grading done to know if it is useful to have them deeper. At least as far as I know (not too far, that is).

Sure enough, I can''t know whether any given SI2 is eye clean, but many are. IMO, for the sake of higher color or a great cut, I''d give it a try. Online it is a bit tricky with this - until someone gets to see the diamond.

The listing at 4loose, no idea. It may be worth trying to see if the same diamond is not also listed in here. It happens to see the same database pop in more than one place.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Hmm I would not go anywhere deeper than Vals stones. Why waste weight on depth!!! Skinny means diff things to diff people. To me skinny is anything with l/w over 2.00. What do u mean by skinny?

Have you played with the shape thing on aga''s site to choose the l/w you prefer the most? That''s how I learned I prefered 1.80-1.95 for my baby-Still unset cause Mark Morrell is never around!!!
7.gif
((

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results