shape
carat
color
clarity

Mara, where did you get your family room couch from?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mara,
We don''t have the PM system anymore and I have been looking at furniture for my family room and was wondering where did you get yours from and how comfortable it is and how well it keeps up. Also, what was the price of it.
I love the fact that it has the two chaises on either side.
Anyway, let me know!
Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Kayla...

We got our couch from Macys. We had a friend who had it and we LOVED it when we'd go over and watch movies with them since they would snuggle on one chaise and we could snuggle on the other. It was the perfect party kinda of couch and family kind of couch and just overall cool. We even got the same brown latte color they had. haha.

Anyway when we bought it was 3 years ago in Jan 2004 and we paid $2k at the time I think...we got a discount I think due to some sort of sale they had. Regular price was about $2300 or so. They had some other styles there that we liked too, aka one of them had a SUPER big chaise on one end and regular couch on another, but we liked the 2 chaise lounges thing. Also we were working with space constraints, we had measured and knew just how long of a space we had for the couch and Restoration and PB both had couches like this one but they were too long for our space. I think ours is something like 90" and the Restoration and PB were 104" and 110" and that just would not fit, it would lop over into the kitchen and look horrible.

In terms of how it's held up, it has held up well considering that Portia adopted it as her own. Because it's a medium brownish color, like a latte...it doesn't show dirt at all, even when it's dirty. Once a month I wipe it down with a wet cloth and all sorts of dirt comes off, ew! Also it's that faux suede material but it's really easy to care for. Wet towel works well on getting any sort of stain out and it only has one or two tiny 'permanent' stains on it at all that we have not been able to get out with a wet towel. I think those are oil stains, like from eating on the couch. Because I do, all the time! haha.

The coolest thing for us is that we both can hang on it and Portia can too and we all have our own little space, we can put our feet up and just chill out. There's no fighting for space on the couch, I can take a nap laying down on one chaise lounge while Greg watches TV on the other and Portia has her own space in the middle or whatever. Plus the cool thing is with the chaise lounges on each end, it's such a great party or gathering kind of couch since 2-3 people can sit on the chaise at different angles, whereas with regular couches you just have the 3-4 cushions and that's it.

Hope this helps, can you tell we love it??? PB has a new amazing super deep couch that I love looking at in the catalog but it doesn't have chaises on it and now we are so spoiled I doubt we'll ever go back to a regular couch. This is like uber couch.

:) Keep me posted on what you find and end up getting!!
M

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Cool!!! I like the one you have and I am happy to know that you got it from Macy''s, off to go to Macy''s tomorrow!!!
2.gif

There was one other couch with a chaise on one end and a regular couch side on the other that I saw on West Elm, and I actually found the same one on Craigslist, but I think it just isn''t as comfortable as the one you have.

I will keep looking, but if not, I will just get that one.

I know which one you are talking about from PB and that couch is really deep, almost 6 feet I think.

The thing with the new house is that the dining room and living room are one big room and I was thinking to make the family room half a family room and half a dining room and just keeping the DR/LR combo into a big living room.

So, I will have to get a couch with enough room to fit people, but not too big that it takes up the whole room and I think the one you have is perfect!!!!
I even like the color.

I will go check it out tomorrow if they still sell it at Macy''s. Thanks!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture I found of a floor plan similar to the house I am getting.

The difference is that the kitchen/breakfast nook is on the reverse side of the family room and the family room is the same exact size as the kitchen/breakfast area.
Also, there are no walls in the DR/LR area, it is a larger open space because the walls are missing, although there is a wall that seperates the kitchen from the DR/LR.
Oh, and the fireplace is on the side of the family room about where the breakfast area starts, so I was thinking of putting that couch right around where the fireplace would be and then putting my dining table on the other side of that area, but still in the family room.

That couch would be perfect as I wouldn''t need another couch and it would be just the right size. I could probably put a chair or something to add more seating, but because the dining table, the breakfast table and the island will be all in the same area, there should be enough seating anyway.

FP_AME_1ST_295.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
sweet butterfly, that layout looks kind of similar to ours, part of why we liked this couch is it made the fam room which connects to the kitchen more of a ''homey'' kind of place. like the flow from the kitchen into the fam room is the same kind of warm vibe.

the only downer about the couch is that you can''t flip the cushions to the other side when one side starts to get kind of wrinkly...because the cushions are attached to the couch undersides with velcro. so there''s only one side of the cushions. which wasn''t a deal breaker for us, just something to note.

i remember macys being super confused as to which couch we wanted because they had like 3 or 4 that were similar. but we had had our friends measure theirs so we knew exactly how long it was and kept looking around the floor til we found the one that matched what we thought in our mind it looked like (it''s amazing how similar so many of them look!!!) and fit our measurements. but you might find something similar but is larger or something too. there was one that was really lovely with a bigger chaise on end and in a lovely light cream color but MAN if we had gotten that one, it would be FILTHY right now. i am so glad we stuck with the latte color. it''s not too dark but dark enough to hide dirt and still look modern and warm at the same time. it also makes it easy to accent with color in the room since it''s such a neutral.

anyway let me know what you find at macys!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to chime in and say that we have a beige-colored couch and chair-and-a-half w/ottoman, and we had them put the Teflon (or Scotchguard) treatment on it...and I''m so glad we did. We have spilled everything from red wine to spaghetti sauce on that couch and all it takes is a damp cloth to clean it, it''s never "stained." So if you are offered that treatment, it is well worth the extra money (I think it was maybe $50-$100 extra?). Ours isn''t microfiber or faux suede, though, it''s a nubby, thick upholstery type material, so I don''t know if that makes a difference. Good luck with your furniture finding, butterfly!
35.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip monarch!!
2.gif

I went yesterday to Macy''s and they told me they no longer make the double chaise (U shaped) couch, but I did find one really nice chocolate velvet brown couch with one chaise that was very nice. It was velvet in all the areas that touched your body, but leather on the other parts.
The saleslady told me that I could always order mix and match parts to make a double chaise couch, but I would not be able to get the better prices that you get with the ready to go/order ones.

I did look on Restoration Hardware and found one, I think it''s called the baby roll u-shaped couch, but it starts at something like $5800, so no thanks, but no way!!!!
32.gif
That could be my potential diamond upgrade right there!

If I bought a couch like that, no one, not even me could sit on it!! I would have to WEAR it on my finger instead!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly...I do recall about piecemealing things to make what you want. You should look into it. If its a few hundred more it may be worth it. Basically ours is like a loveseat with 2 cushions in the middle, and then the chaises on the end. But the cushions are all large enough like a regular couch size. Check out PB too as I think they had one but don''t know if they still do. I think it was $2500 but too long for our space.

teetee

Shiny_Rock
I just happened to stumble on this thread trying to find out if they have PMs on this board. Which sounds like they don''t.

butterfly, you should check out www.roomandboard.com. If you like the PB and RH look, this might be another good place to shop...maybe they have a showroom near you. I think their stuff is similar quality and might be a little less expensive...I know their shipping is a deal - something like $79 flat for the entire order vs the 10%+ they charge at PB and RH.

About a year ago, I got a sectional sofa from R&B because the one I wanted from PB was too big for my living room space. I''ve been very happy with it. Granted, no one ever really sits on it so it looks practically brand new. I have a medium/long hair cat but the microfiber does not seem to pick up the cat hair at all and I always see her sitting on top of the back cushions, looking out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results