shape
carat
color
clarity

Malawian ruby

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Not too often discussed, but anyone can shed some light on this ruby type?
1)Any special colour and hue for this locality
2) it’s availability
3) any regularity on pricing (provided if it’s reasonably available of course)

would love to learn more how this compare to rubies from other part if the world~

one I come across
5EEDF5B1-05D3-4CD3-AA95-A26E1AFBF0B7.jpeg

Soft diffused day light
B8D87884-77F2-4BA9-8A8B-1F524AE4693D.jpeg

hard shadowed daylight
7ECDC107-161D-4913-8D89-E6C829F94040.jpeg

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think it's close in composition to Tanzanian or Kenyan ruby, which are also close to Mozambique. No premium for the origin. The one you're posting looks like a cheap cut and some visible inclusions, so I'd guess the stone isn't a top quality and may be treated.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I myself would be more suspicious of the top ruby stones being treated than the above stone, without a report, There is a lot of low quality gemstones out there. It is the perfect ones you must be careful about.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's close in composition to Tanzanian or Kenyan ruby, which are also close to Mozambique. No premium for the origin. The one you're posting looks like a cheap cut and some visible inclusions, so I'd guess the stone isn't a top quality and may be treated.

Thanks~ And yes this is a moderately included stone. However, it’s not treated so the colours natural. It’s precision cut though:oops2: I should work on my choice of photos;)2

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I myself would be more suspicious of the top ruby stones being treated than the above stone, without a report, There is a lot of low quality gemstones out there. It is the perfect ones you must be careful about.

Thanks for reminding:) Definitely not a top clarity and not anything like pigeon blood. It’s described as purplish red. This may have been sold also. However, ~$600 for a ruby of 1.3ct with this colour, do you think it’s a fair deal?

voce

Ideal_Rock

For a top ruby I'd be suspecting synthetic, not clarity enhancing treatments.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
For a top ruby I'd be suspecting synthetic, not clarity enhancing treatments.

Always oiling, & other fillers can be the cause of clarity enhancement, plus high heat can enhance clarity too. But yes, synthetic also.

This stone has to many flaws in it to worry about anything but normal heat treatment & it would not surprise me if there was not any treatment at all as most Malawian (Nyala) Ruby is untreated.

Typical natural inclusions in the stone.

If you are going to dress up a Chevy to look like a Cadillac, then it will look like a Cadillac, not a Chevy, :)

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for reminding:) Definitely not a top clarity and not anything like pigeon blood. It’s described as purplish red. This may have been sold also. However, ~$600 for a ruby of 1.3ct with this colour, do you think it’s a fair deal?

$600.00 does not seem like an unfair price.

idola

Shiny_Rock
I adore inclusions and think that it's a beautiful stone.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I adore inclusions and think that it's a beautiful stone.

It’s interesting to see different views in our forum:)
I may take it this way. This stone would be a nice pick for someone who is not going to spend big money on a fine ruby but wants to own a nice affordable stone in this species.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One thing you need to keep in mind is that when looking at photos of a gemstone, it’s normally very enlarged, so inclusions become much more apparent. The same stone that looks included in a photo, in the hand to the naked eye they are likely not noticable.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
One thing you need to keep in mind is that when looking at photos of a gemstone, it’s normally very enlarged, so inclusions become much more apparent. The same stone that looks included in a photo, in the hand to the naked eye they are likely not noticable.

So very true!

Many don't think about that. Photos and videos are hugely enlarged

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks almost orange-y to me -- not the direction I would err in hue for ruby. And not very saturated.

Inclusions are fine but not when they are the first thing you see, imo.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Looks almost orange-y to me -- not the direction I would err in hue for ruby. And not very saturated.

Inclusions are fine but not when they are the first thing you see, imo.

Agree for the saturation, just the price is not bad:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results