shape
carat
color
clarity

Makeup budget. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is anyone here obsessed with Makeup to the extreme?

I just inputted all the items I've purchased (makeup and brushes) since the beginning of 2006 and the grand total is $1114.97.
6.gif
I think I forgot a few things, too!

Is this insane or what???? Yikes. Does anyone else spend this much and is this typical for you over the course of nearly five months? I need perspective.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I just looked in Quicken and year to date I have $587 - if that helps.
The majority of it is because I started using Arbonne skin products and stocked up a year''s supply.
( I created a separate category in Quicken called "cosmetics and supplies").

icekid

Ideal_Rock
holy crap! That seems like a lot to me... but then I am in med school and poor
1.gif

Just think- you could buy a lovely 1/2 ct pendant for that kind of money
9.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Are you serious????
23.gif
Wow...well I guess if you have it, then it is not a big deal. I may just spend less though because I am a college student and even though I love painting my nails and wearing makeup I don''t go through product super quickly. I would guess I have have spent between 70 adn 100 dollars in you include nails products and eye cream, but I have not had to buy my face tint since thanksgiving so that helps.

MC they have makeup outlets, where Bobbi Brown, Clinique, prescriptives, channel and what not are sold... have you ever thought about that for brushes and powders (eye shadow, blush, face powder)?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC, meet the Queen of insane makeup buying!!! I am ADDICTED. My husband is laughing and also mad, because the ever growing collection. People actually know I have drawers and cabinets full, and always ask me about products and colors. I also love bath products and lotions and perfumes too. I buy it all from Bare Escentuals to Chanel. When the new color collections come out, I am the first one in the store. I can spend hundreds a month like you. Plus, I almost never use anything up because I have so much....I think I really have an illness with it!

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I don''t keep track of how much I spend, but I discovered that I love Nars like a year and and half ago so I have bought them out for a few grand since then, and I can''t get out of Sephora without a few hundred dollars worth of stuff I don''t use...that''s the funny part, I own everything but I use the same stuff all the time..I also spend alot of money replace my staple items that i constantly lose or destroy when I am out having cocktails
37.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I probably spend $50 a month, but that includes shower gel, etc...I have a lot that I don''t use, and my teenage niece and cousins come and "shop" out of my collection.

Do they have "Make-Up Anonymous"?
emwink.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondfan - It's definetly an illness. The amount above doesn't include face creams and all that (like the La Prairie items I bought a few months back) either, so I'm sure this would double that figure! lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need Make up Annonymous! I am a serious junkie for products. I also love when I travel and buy stuff that no one else has in the US. I too buy TONS but keep using the same three things. Sephora is sick, I walk around with that basket, toss a few things in and it is 500.00! Insane. But it makes me happy. I love art and color, and would love to start my own line one day. I am also always being asked by my sales girl at Saks if I like this or that, and I give my assessment...scent, packaging, etc...I guess it is research!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 6:29:19 PM
Author: diamondfan
I need Make up Annonymous! I am a serious junkie for products. I also love when I travel and buy stuff that no one else has in the US. I too buy TONS but keep using the same three things. Sephora is sick, I walk around with that basket, toss a few things in and it is 500.00! Insane. But it makes me happy. I love art and color, and would love to start my own line one day. I am also always being asked by my sales girl at Saks if I like this or that, and I give my assessment...scent, packaging, etc...I guess it is research!!!
I have been dying to ask you this. Were you in the Camera shop on Lancaster Avenue April 11th?? I was dropping off film of Ashley''s prom. Then I saw you again at Saks?? But didn''t say anything cause my daughter was with me. If it''s not you, then someone else has a killer ring like your''s. At least it looked like your ring from what you have described. If not then I''m so glad I didn''t say anything cause the person would have thought I was nuts!!!
3.gif

Jo

Shiny_Rock
tanuki - Question, do you like Arbonne products? My girlfriend just started and I''m contemplating.

Which products do you use? I''d love something for crows feet.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Wow...finally a thread I can seriously say that I can relate to and how! I LOVE cosmetics and spend way too much on them. I love MAC and Smashbox so much. I just had my makeup done the other day at the Smashbox counter and spent $282, then when I came in with my GF for my FDIL''s bridal shower, I had them do another makeover so I would look fresh and ready for camera pics and another $242 was spent...in ONE week! Yikes! Now, I did take back just today 3 of the products I bought but I am keeping the rest cuz I love the look it gives me. To make matters worse, I spent another $100 at MAC just yesterday. The Smashbox puchases were two weeks ago, not that that is any better or worse...
emsad.gif

My 21 year old daughter and I can share the pots of MAC which is great, but still, it is alot to invest. I strictly use Lancome for my cleansing and eye creams, but the colorations are now all coming from MAC or Smashbox. I do have a couple of daily creams that I use from Estee Lauder that I cannot live without. The primer from Smashbox that you apply before your foundation is to die for! I have been using it for almost 2 years and have only now been starting to run out so that is a good buy for me. I mostly acquire tons of shadow and lip sticks or lip glosses.

I get the little bags that come with Lancome or Estee Lauder for the bag and maybe a couple of the creams, but usually the lip colors are ones I already have so I pass the discards to either of my two daughters. I use the bags for travel, for storage and in some of my handbags.

I love shoes, but make up is my soft spot along with the skin smoother from H20 that I have now been using for 2 years. I also love the skin oil from Neutrogena for after my shower. I know...I am SO bad...
emembarrassed.gif
but I like it...Now I am trying different lip stains from different lines for my son''s upcoming wedding. I just bought one from Urban Decay to see if I like it. If I don''t, I will just take it back.

If my husband really knew how much I spent, he''d have a coronary!
emsad.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i buy about $75 worth of makeup a year. i hardly wear it and so i just don''t go through it at all. even when we go out i don''t wear alot and so it lasts me forever! insane really. gives me more $$ for clothes! oh and yeah that doesn''t include face creams, and stuff like that, lotions etc. that''s a little more ...
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deanne, I also love the Smashbox primer. I think there is something from every line I like. I try it all , that is for sure.

Kaleigh, is the camera store the one near the Rite Aid and the Sam Goody that is going out of business? I do not recall when I was there but I have been in and out of there recently. I also go to Saks all the time. What did the person look like? I am usually there in the later part of the afternoon, and I sometimes have my puppy Maya or one of kids, usually the youngest, with me. I am often in sweats or jeans. My hair is curly but I get it blown out a lot. Does that sound like the person you saw?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 10:28:45 PM
Deanne, I also love the Smashbox primer. I think there is something from every line I like. I try it all , that is for sure.

Kaleigh, is the camera store the one near the Rite Aid and the Sam Goody that is going out of business? I do not recall when I was there but I have been in and out of there recently. I also go to Saks all the time. What did the person look like? I am usually there in the later part of the afternoon, and I sometimes have my puppy Maya or one of kids, usually the youngest, with me. I am often in sweats or jeans. My hair is curly but I get it blown out a lot. Does that sound like the person you saw?
Nope it''s the one by Bryn Mawr cleaners and the rug place. Kellmers is across the street. Wasn''t you.
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
K...you might have seen me at Saks since I am there a few times a week it seems...did you see the same person twice? I keep thinking we should have coffee since we know so many of the same people in the area!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2006 10:37:35 PM
K...you might have seen me at Saks since I am there a few times a week it seems...did you see the same person twice? I keep thinking we should have coffee since we know so many of the same people in the area!
Sounds like a plan!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
great, I will send you one and we can see what happens! The Philly PS''ers are a big group from what I can see!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I never wore much makeup until I got into my 40''s--now the need the big guns to keep from scaring people! And factor in all those $$ antiaging creams too
6.gif

Being a bath nut--I have tons of bath products and spend galore on those, but they get used so I don''t consider that a waste......

Has anyone tried that new Origins Product (face)--the one Dr. Andrew Weil promotes? (mushroom antioxident?).

cheers--Sharon

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
This thread is terrible! Hearing about all these products makes me want to go out shopping for more stuff!!!!
31.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 10:49:42 AM
Author: canuk-gal

HI:

I never wore much makeup until I got into my 40''s--now the need the big guns to keep from scaring people! And factor in all those $$ antiaging creams too
6.gif

Being a bath nut--I have tons of bath products and spend galore on those, but they get used so I don''t consider that a waste......

Has anyone tried that new Origins Product (face)--the one Dr. Andrew Weil promotes? (mushroom antioxident?).

cheers--Sharon
I just had a facial done at Origns, using Dr. Weil''s products. My face was glowing afterwards.

I LOVE ORIGINS!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
that mushroom stuff is supposed to be great. There are a few things I think are must haves. I have been addicted since I was about 14, when my mom allowed me to wear a bit of lip gloss and some vaseline on my lashes ) a forerunner to clear mascara!!!

I spent my first money earned (babysitting) on Clinique...meadow flower honey gloss, clover blush...no lip pencil then...very simple. Funny thing is, except for a period spent in leather mini skirts and going to rock clubs in LA, I never really over did it makeup wise. I did have a thing for Cherries in the Snow by Revlon, a very red lipstick, and this gloss by a company called Stagelights...blue roses it was called, and looked almost purple blue on the lips, and sticky too! Soooo lovely...

I also think you can mix it up...some drugstore stuff is amazing. I admit I love the look and packaging of the nicer stuff, but know a lot of that is not what makes the products good.

Has anyone tried Prevage...it is supposed to be great!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/23/2006 12:48:15 PM
I spent my first money earned (babysitting) on Clinique...
HI:

This is funny--triggered some memories..... Since I was not allowed to wear makeup until high school, I spent my first earned $$ on fragrance, and if I rightly recall it was Mary Quant, tuberose--the sparkly one in a solid (small pot), YSL Rive Gauche (sp), and Worth. Somehow I thought at least if I didn''t look good, I would smell great.....
2.gif

I am planning on getting a sample of that Origins product.....as my current loves include Dior''s products....I need to spread my wings....

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2006 1:41:52 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 4/23/2006 12:48:15 PM
I spent my first money earned (babysitting) on Clinique...
HI:

This is funny--triggered some memories..... Since I was not allowed to wear makeup until high school, I spent my first earned $$ on fragrance, and if I rightly recall it was Mary Quant, tuberose--the sparkly one in a solid (small pot), YSL Rive Gauche (sp), and Worth. Somehow I thought at least if I didn''t look good, I would smell great.....
2.gif

I am planning on getting a sample of that Origins product.....as my current loves include Dior''s products....I need to spread my wings....

cheers--Sharon
Sharon, I wore Love''s Baby Soft, some lemon thing by them and this very cloying and strong scent called Jungle Gardenia. I guess the scent was not too bad but I think I overdid it a wee bit!! My dad used to call it Gag in a Bottle. I also love Dior, but some of their little special compact thingies are SOOOOO heavy, I would never carry them around like my sales girl suggests...they weigh a ton!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh God- I spend so much money on makeup and other "beauty stuff" its ridiculous...I spend at least $40 p/m just on my face cream- andI keep eyeing up La Mer face cream, which I want, but it is sold at like $100-150 per bottle- Yikes! Anyway, I hardly wear any makeup, yet I HAVE TO HAVE all the latest stuff- I love Nars, Smashbox, Chanel. etc- so bad! Dont feel bad, MC, I prob spend just as much if not more than you p/y on all this stuff!!!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2006 10:18:11 AM
Author: Dani
Oh God- I spend so much money on makeup and other ''beauty stuff'' its ridiculous...I spend at least $40 p/m just on my face cream- andI keep eyeing up La Mer face cream, which I want, but it is sold at like $100-150 per bottle- Yikes! Anyway, I hardly wear any makeup, yet I HAVE TO HAVE all the latest stuff- I love Nars, Smashbox, Chanel. etc- so bad! Dont feel bad, MC, I prob spend just as much if not more than you p/y on all this stuff!!!
I go through face cream phases. Spend $200 on five or six items, then binge on makeup for a month or two. lol I''ve decided to give myself a $200/month budget for cosmetics (alone, not creams & other beauty items) lol and see if this works! It''s the spontaneous purchases which get me. . .I buy pricey things I hear about (like shu uemura metallic drawing pencils) and then only use them once or twice. . .

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
MC- That is AMAZING to me!
One of my friends has become a makeup junkie (she is also a fashionista and works for a big time jewelry designer representing a few certain high dolla dept. stores we all love so much) and I love seeing all the new fun pots of product she buys.

It all fascinates me and I would love to be more of a junky myself, but it kind of freaks me out. I am super crafty and good with my hands (painting, drawing, etc.) so you would think I would be good at applying makeup, but I freak out and just do the same things over and over again.

If I get makeovers I ask the girl/guy to explain how to do whatever it is they are doing but I never get it right. I have been wearing the same stuff forever, but I guess it works because I have good youthful skin, but I would love to know how to make my eyes pop or my lips pout or make my stubby china doll lashes look long and luxurious. How do you learn...?

Also- what is the deal with brushes? My friend was trying to explain to me that they really make a difference if you get good ones. Can I get a little makeup 101?

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2006 11:10:29 AM
Author: jorman
MC- That is AMAZING to me!
One of my friends has become a makeup junkie (she is also a fashionista and works for a big time jewelry designer representing a few certain high dolla dept. stores we all love so much) and I love seeing all the new fun pots of product she buys.

It all fascinates me and I would love to be more of a junky myself, but it kind of freaks me out. I am super crafty and good with my hands (painting, drawing, etc.) so you would think I would be good at applying makeup, but I freak out and just do the same things over and over again.

If I get makeovers I ask the girl/guy to explain how to do whatever it is they are doing but I never get it right. I have been wearing the same stuff forever, but I guess it works because I have good youthful skin, but I would love to know how to make my eyes pop or my lips pout or make my stubby china doll lashes look long and luxurious. How do you learn...?

Also- what is the deal with brushes? My friend was trying to explain to me that they really make a difference if you get good ones. Can I get a little makeup 101?
Not that I know so much more than anyone else here, but good brushes help alot. Quite honestly, I have a couple of great brushes from Target, most of mine are from MAC and one or two from Sephora. Oh, I really great one with a short handle from Bare Escentuals, too, but I use it for my pigments because it works so well for that.

Most women need a really full fluffy brush for blush. What brushes are made out of has an effect on the result, I find. I like the boar''s hair ones for shadow, fluffy black ones for concentrated areas in the outter corners of my eyes for drama. I have a fan brush for cleanup of loose powder pigment. A full kabuki brush, again from Bare Escentuals(I forgot I had this one!) for tinted powder from Smashbox called antimatte. I use the brush rather than the sponge for the setting of my makeup. The sponge takes on too much and I like a light application.

I never use the little spongy applicators that come with the product unless I have nothing else. I have extra small travel brushes that have come with things(like gifts with purchase, that kind of thing) but I am not one to usually fuss with my makeup once I leave the house. I carry with me in my purse my lip liner, a lip brush that I got from Sephora that pops up and is amazing and my lipstick--oh, and a lip gloss of course with my pocket mirror. I do not touch my eyes or face for touchup unless its too blot.

I don''t want to dominate the thread, but each brush has a purpose. If you cannot afford expensive brushes, buy what you can...When you can buy one nice brush at a time, do so and soon you will have what you need...

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to mention that as much as I love using makeup, I give my skin a break of makeup and just wear spf coverage at least once a week. I have really good skin and since no amount of makeup can make up for problems you may have with the condition of your skin, I have eased up on what I actually wear daily. I apply my Smashbox conversion foundation with a foundation brush and apply ONLY where I need it, not all over. Since that is a creme to powder foundation, it melds perfectly into my skin over my primer and moisturizer.

I shape my brows with their Brow Tech and line my lips, followed by primer on my eyes, a little combo of two or three subtle shadows, mascara and wha--la!

At 46, I am glad I do not need much. I have eveness concerns and a little puffiness in my eyes, but that''s it.

I love products, too, but I am just horrible at saying "no" to a new eyeshadow cuz its fun to play! My GF tells me my cosmetic box is fun to explore!

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Consider me an addict. I walk into Sephora and I can''t walk out without spending at LEAST $100. I love/hate that darn place. I currently have five lip glosses in my bag. FIVE. And three in my office. I have a problem.

The thing is though, I''ve tried the less expensive brands...and I just don''t think anyone makes a better eyeshadow that NARS and I love my Chanel and Dior and Stilla stuff. I love it.

Gah.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results