shape
carat
color
clarity

Maker's Mark (?) Help

clairebc

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm hoping someone can help me ID a mark on an antique ring I got recently.

Its a three stone ring, two sapphires (one slightly larger and lighter in color -- left most stone), and one OEC diamond.

Image of ring:
IMG_2068.jpg

Its hallmarked for Birmingham, 1919 and 18k gold.

Image of hallmarks:
IMG_2062.jpg

There's another (pretty sloppily applied) mark which reads "S. H & C" -- its possible there's another letter rubbed off, maybe its supposed to read S. H & Co? There's also what looks like an upside-down S to the right of the "S. H & C" mark.

Images of maker's mark (?):
IMG_2063.jpg

I did some googling and looking around Lang Antique's makers mark list, but didn't come up with anything! Please let me know if better images are needed to ID this mark. I'm hoping I can find which jeweler made this ring!

And thank you in advance!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh what a sweetie :kiss2:
its really pretty
are you going to get it resized so it fits one of your fingers rather than your thumb ?

clairebc

Rough_Rock
oh what a sweetie :kiss2:
its really pretty
are you going to get it resized so it fits one of your fingers rather than your thumb ?

Thank you!! I got into antique jewellery late 2022 and have been on a bit of a buying spree since.

So far I've gotten the ring above, an OEC five stone, a .25 ct OEC solitaire, a small 2 stone OEC cross over, and a Victorian mourning brooch from 1858. I'm trying to save up for a bigger piece, but little things keep catching my eye.

I'd get it resized if I could do so without destroying the hallmark -- maybe they can take material out from the "sides" instead of the back?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
just bumping this thread again for you @clairebc
some one will surley be along soon to help with the makers mark

it would be awsome if you posted these other tasty aquasitions over in antique and vintage jewelry

clairebc

Rough_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
After a solid hour plus on google, I did find...something.

A few rings with "S.H & Co." from Birmingham around the same time period.

Ring 1: https://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/21485-18k-gold-ruby-diamond-ring-from-1915

1674681684045.png
Ring 2: https://www.etsy.com/listing/891655058/antique-sapphire-and-diamond-dress-ring
1674681964175.png 1674681978959.png
Not that this helps me ID it much, but it does make me feel like I've at least accomplished something :lol-2:

its a good start
im so sorry no one else has popped by to help yet
but im sure someone will be along shortly

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did try.:confused2: Maybe I found that same thing you did. Not enough to post.

Figured out the crown and the anchor (just for my own interest -- I know that's pretty common) but not the letter since they must go round 'n' round with the years.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops. I thought I had a good resource, but it doesn’t seem to cover the period in which your ring was made. But here’s a link, just in case: “English Goldsmiths and Their Marks”

Last edited:

clairebc

Rough_Rock
@VRBeauty Thank you! I think I may have came across this, or something similar? I will definitely keep it bookmarked for future use.

@lulu_ma There seems to be a lot of resources for silver vs gold! Thanks for linking that - there are some gold rings referenced on that page! Not my hallmark unfortunately, but I'll keep an eye out on that page in case it gets added,

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
After a solid hour plus on google, I did find...something.

A few rings with "S.H & Co." from Birmingham around the same time period.

Ring 1: https://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/21485-18k-gold-ruby-diamond-ring-from-1915

1674681684045.png
Ring 2: https://www.etsy.com/listing/891655058/antique-sapphire-and-diamond-dress-ring
1674681964175.png 1674681978959.png
Not that this helps me ID it much, but it does make me feel like I've at least accomplished something :lol-2:

I think this is the right maker's mark. Was there anything else you were looking for?

clairebc

Rough_Rock
@Eclectic I'm trying to find out who the maker is, what the S.H stands for.

Eclectic

Rough_Rock
There is Sidney Hall &co., but they are located in Sheffield. Wow, this one really stumped me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results