shape
carat
color
clarity

Make up hints and tips you use

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I thought it might be nice to share. Also I have a couple questions that I''m sure someone has already answered for themself.

*I have short, straight, sparse eyelashes. I have to use an eyelash curler to give them any appearance at all. Regular washable mascara re-straightens the curled lashes so I have to use water-proof in order to hold the ''curl'' in the lash. Also, the smaller the applicator brush, the better! I used to use Lash Discovery by Maybelline. Now I am using Telescopic Explosion by Cover Girl. It has a little ball brush that allows my to really target the mascara onto the tiny little short lashes without globbing up. My favorite mascara formula was always the Cover Girl Remarkable Washable Waterproof. It held the curl but came right off with my regular face wash. I just found the brush too big and bushy!

*I''m allergic to natural bristle make up brushes. I couldn''t understand how people loved mineral makeup because it always made my face so itchy! I''ve also found that whenever I used eyeshadow my lids would get red, blotchy, and itchy. I kept changing shadow thinking that was it. Now I know it was the brushes!

I need to find a nice, synthetic bristle eyeshadow brush! I''ve found a great kabuki and am now enjoying my mineral foundation.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy I have the same problem with mineral makeup. I''ve always assumed it was the minerals I was reacting to so your comment about the brushes is really interesting!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I swear by Maybelline Full N Soft mascara in soft black. I have blonde hair and fair skin, but my lashes are naturally black and this mascara really makes them pop. It''s not too clumpy/sticky either.

I also love MAC foundations, powder, and powder blush.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
To hold curl longer, use your hair dry for a few seconds on your eyelash curler and then put on mascara as soon as possible after to hold the curl.
Never use mineral make-up where you have a lot of lines or large pores without a primer, it will make them look much worse, believe me, I eat lunch everyday with people who work for the biggest mineral make-up company.
Instead of just gloss, use one of the lip plumper ones. They don''t make your lips any bigger, but they add color and it always looks natural since it is not pigment, just you.
If you have "shallow" eyes, where they are too flat , feel where the bone on the top of your eye socket is. Below that line, use a darker eye shadow and above it to the eyebrow, a light one. It also helps to have the lighter one on the edge of the eyelid near the eyes and run the darker one in the eyelid crease.
If you have small eyes, get a white eyeliner and line the inside of your bottom lash with it.
Look at the base color for the foundations. Most companies only have one base color for all of them and it will never match your skin if you have the wrong one. They are gold, beige or pink. I love MAC, but theirs are beige based and I need pink.
Figure out your 2 or 3 must do pieces. It makes it much easier to do at least something before going out, even when you are running late. I have thick lashes and red lips, so for me it is blush and eyebrow powder since I have odd eyebrows that grow in uneven, sparse in places and a color that looks almost gray compared to my hair, which the powder fixes.

If anyone has anything specific, I can ask my best friend, he is a major female impersonator in town and know every make up possiblity you could ask for.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG BIH this almost made me pee!

I don''t know what''s funnier, the thought of blasting a hair dryer at my eye while my lashes are clamped in a curler, or taking makeup advice from a female impersonator! Not that there''s anything wrong with men who dress like women, I just prefer to not look like...well, a drag queen. I like a more natural look...

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I must admit, I chuckled too! Although, if anyone would be motivated to have a beauty that really does the job, it would be a female impersonator!!
41.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Physician, heal thyself.........
25.gif

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I could use a mascara recommendation. I unfortunately have oily skin and anytime I wear any kind of mascara...by the end of the day I have black circles under my eyes because the mascara sticks to my undereye area! Anybody have that issue and can recommend anything that stays put!!!

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 11:27:05 PM
Author: lizzyann01
I could use a mascara recommendation. I unfortunately have oily skin and anytime I wear any kind of mascara...by the end of the day I have black circles under my eyes because the mascara sticks to my undereye area! Anybody have that issue and can recommend anything that stays put!!!
I have the same problem with pretty much anything I put on my eyes! Eyeshado, liner, mascara, etc... I''ve never figured out why- it must be the shape of our faces, eyes, or something. I use DiorShow mascara (waterproof) and it''s never left a ring around the eyes.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
The only semi-abnormal thing I do is I don''t use eyeliner. I have an eyeliner brush, where you wet it, dip it in your eyeshadow and run it along the lash line. It''s a lot more natural looking and it''s great for people with very little visible eyelid. It gives just enough distinction.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My current best tip, from personal experience and observation is LESS IS MORE! I just realised that the saying is true - makeup is like weight, it piles on unnoticed over the years...

I always thought I didn''t wear much makeup, until I stopped and thought about it then took a long hard look. I don''t wear it very often, but when I do, there''s too much of it. I also noticed that it''s quite ageing. I look younger without makeup (but rougher, so you pay your money and take your choice...
9.gif
)

Jen

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I swear by the L''Oreal lash tubes mascara. I used to always end up with smudged eye makeup by the end of the day, but now I can run a few miles after work and still have my mascara look awesome.

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 10:14:36 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

I don''t know what''s funnier, the thought of blasting a hair dryer at my eye while my lashes are clamped in a curler, or taking makeup advice from a female impersonator! Not that there''s anything wrong with men who dress like women, I just prefer to not look like...well, a drag queen. I like a more natural look...

You don''t put the hairdryer on your eye, obviously
3.gif
. You heat the curler with a hairdryer before putting it on your eyelashes. I use this trick too - works great!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I keep hoping Italia will see this and chime in!

Does anyone have recommendations for the synthetic eyeshadow brushes?

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Ever wonder how to keep eyeliner from ending up underneath your eyes (especially when you apply it to the bottom eyelid)?

My friend clued me in on this- it''s kinda gross- but I swear by it.

Before you put your eyeliner on, take a Q-tip and wet it with some saliva and then rub it underneath your eye where the makeup usually runs. Then, with another Q-tip, apply some beige colored powder or eyeshadow to the same area.

Works for me!
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 11:04:25 AM
Author: waterlilly

Date: 6/22/2010 10:14:36 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

You don''t put the hairdryer on your eye, obviously
3.gif
. You heat the curler with a hairdryer before putting it on your eyelashes. I use this trick too - works great!
LOL--it really does work, I''ve been doing that since I was old enough to wear mascara! I think someone actually makes a heated lash curler for this very purpose.

HH--I learned my best makeup tricks from a female impersonator as well. Following the basics is fine, you don''t have to apply as heavy-handed as a performer or use Dermablend! I have to use darker shadow in the creases of my eyes and a lighter, highlighting color above since I have what I refer to as Britney Spears eyes. Learned that one from my DQ bestie!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, well, I''ve started waterlining the top lash line. I use an eyeliner pencil (I prefer it to a brush, because I can keep it clean by just sharpening it) and waterproof creme eyeliner and do the edge of my eyelid. It totally opens up my eyes and is the best thing I''ve ever learned how to do.

I use a transparent power (I like Makeup Forever''s powder) instead of one that matches my foundation. I find it keeps my skin looking beautiful (even without foundation under it) but never powdery. It just gives it a beautiful texture.

I love mascaras that cling to the lashes, and create little tubes around the lash. I have a lot of issues with smudging under my eyes, especially with waterproof mascara, but these mascaras don''t ever smudge and are fairly waterproof (they do wash off with water, but don''t smudge if you cry a bit, for example). I like Clinique''s Lash Power.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/22/2010 11:44:50 PM
Author: Bunny007

I have the same problem with pretty much anything I put on my eyes! Eyeshado, liner, mascara, etc... I''ve never figured out why- it must be the shape of our faces, eyes, or something. I use DiorShow mascara (waterproof) and it''s never left a ring around the eyes.
I used to have the same problem with liners and shadows--then I discovered eyeshadow primer. I use TooFaced Shadow Insurance, and it helps keep my shadow and liner looking fresh and staying where I put it until I''m ready to take it off. It works even in muggy, humid weather, and a little goes a long way.

split_shank

Shiny_Rock
OOooo I like this thread :)

A few more tips for the mineral makeup'ers... for those of you with the 'itchy' face after using brushes, it definitely could be an allergy, but also I notice if I don't clean my brushes often enough, they get rough and feels scratchy. They say to wash them every week, but I know I barely get around to it every 3 or 4 weeks
40.gif
Using a good brush shampoo or regular hair shampoo will keep them soft and help with the scratchies.

Also, I've found and also been told from a makeup artist that uses mineral makeup that although they often tell you to 'buff' the makeup on in circles, instead brush with downward strokes (particularly the cheek area) to create an even-looking compexion, leaving the skin cells 'lay down' smoothly much like you wouldn't pet a dog backwards!! Sorry, thats the best analogy I could come up with right now haha. Ditto on the Makeup ForEver finishing powder as a last touch.

Totally a believer in primer before mineral makeup. Makes all the difference in the world, especially us gifted with crater sized pores. Love Smashbox Photo Finish Primer~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results