shape
carat
color
clarity

Make sure you get the ring size right with Brian Gavin!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Heidibrooke|1385474007|3563129 said:
I feel bad for the fiancé. It seems you are mad at her for a very simple mistake. I wouldn't put up with that, sorry. :nono: Maybe it just came across wrong and you really don't get this mad :angryfire: about a ring sizing error on her part.

I agree 100%! I wanted to say "if you're going to get mad over this TINY thing, then DO NOT GET MARRIED". It's really the tip of the ice berg and I don't think anyone who can't deal with such things should be in a relationship with someone let alone be getting married. It's just not healthy and will cause major issues down the road.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
04diamond<3|1385478181|3563160 said:
I feel bad for the fiancé. It seems you are mad at her for a very simple mistake. I wouldn't put up with that, sorry. :nono: Maybe it just came across wrong and you really don't get this mad :angryfire: about a ring sizing error on her part.

I agree 100%! I wanted to say "if you're going to get mad over this TINY thing, then DO NOT GET MARRIED". It's really the tip of the ice berg and I don't think anyone who can't deal with such things should be in a relationship with someone let alone be getting married. It's just not healthy and will cause major issues down the road.

I really hate that people get all judgmental on someone else's relationship based on such little information. An engagement is a special time, and emotions are elevated all around. No reason to go jumping down someone else's throat because he is frustrated with the situation.

OP, glad that you are getting the ring resized properly. Hopefully this means smooth sailing for when you have to purchase the wedding band.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some types of rings flat out *can't* be resized (tension settings, for example).
Some types of rings are very difficult to resize without compromising aesthetic and durability any more than absolutely necessary (micropave, rings w/ delicate shanks, full eternity bands).
Obviously OP was fortunate in that the ring he bought is easily sizable by a significant amount, but IMO he's got good reason to be concerned: this was a potentially very expensive error - off by a size and a half according to two jewellers is well outside the margin of mandrel differences or fluctuations with weather, especially given her small size.

OP, I'm glad you've decided to send it back to BGD. They'll do a great job and it'll fit her perfectly, and in a couple of weeks you'll have forgotten about this sizing drama ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its a leap to start giving marriage advise. He came for our jewelry expertise and I think it overstepping a bit to make judgements about his relationship.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1385482137|3563201 said:

I really hate that people get all judgmental on someone else's relationship based on such little information. An engagement is a special time, and emotions are elevated all around. No reason to go jumping down someone else's throat because he is frustrated with the situation.

OP, glad that you are getting the ring resized properly. Hopefully this means smooth sailing for when you have to purchase the wedding band.
+1

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1385484257|3563234 said:
I think its a leap to start giving marriage advise. He came for our jewelry expertise and I think it overstepping a bit to make judgements about his relationship.

Good thing that's not what I did. I'm glad he isn't :angryfire: with his fiancé anymore and they worked out the sizing issue with BGB, and I wished them a lifetime of happiness!! :).

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock

I don't appreciate being quoted with the accusation of "jumping down someone's throat." You may need to go back and reread, especially some of the replies preceding mine. I'm entitled to the opinion of a ring size error not being a reason to be upset with a company for not offering a free sizing and especially not a reason to be upset with the fiancé. Mistakes happen. I lost both of my wedding rings in September and it was totally my fault. As I stated before, I'm glad he worked through it and wish them much happiness. :D

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Heidibrooke|1385489284|3563284 said:

I don't appreciate being quoted with the accusation of "jumping down someone's throat." You may need to go back and reread, especially some of the replies preceding mine. I'm entitled to the opinion of a ring size error not being a reason to be upset with a company for not offering a free sizing and especially not a reason to be upset with the fiancé. Mistakes happen. I lost both of my wedding rings in September and it was totally my fault. As I stated before, I'm glad he worked through it and wish them much happiness. :D

I again, agree on all counts. I also "hate" when people don't read things and react to only specific things. My comment was regarding such a tiny (fixable) issue and the dramatics. A $75 resizing fee seems minimal to me especially compared to the price of the ring. I would imagine the OP would want to get the ring to fit no matter the mistake. And I agree that an engagement should be a happy time, but a thread like this suggests otherwise. Even if he was upset, I don't feel that this thread was justified in writing a bad thread about a beloved vendor of ours. I am glad though, that things are finally getting corrected.

And, I wasn't being "judgmental based on little information", because there was plenty provided. And it's not about their ENTIRE relationship, just this little tantrum.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock

I completely agree, pandabee. People are getting way too emotional and judgmental about this issue. It's funny to me that some people here are getting so defensive about other PSers making assumptions when they are doing the exact same thing. While I agree that the OP should change some of the wording here, the point stands. His SO seems to have acted in an unreasonable way. However, none of us know the OP or his SO, so it isn't fair to make judgement calls about EITHER one of them. If I was in the OP's position, I would probably be perturbed, too. He came to vent, just as many others do. Does that make him a bad person? Does that mean he has anger issues? No. As for his SO, maybe she was embarrassed about being wrong and that is why she responded the way that she did? Who knows. The important thing is that the issue is being resolved.

To Heidibrooke - saying that you would call off your wedding over such an insignificant situation is a little extreme, don't you think?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am cracking up at this whole post.....Its like that old telephone game as each post goes on the original premise gets disguised and the next person learns less about the beginning issue. So I am not even going to comment.

Just happy that his Fiance will have her ring soon.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
smilligan|1385519946|3563589 said:

I completely agree, pandabee. People are getting way too emotional and judgmental about this issue. It's funny to me that some people here are getting so defensive about other PSers making assumptions when they are doing the exact same thing. While I agree that the OP should change some of the wording here, the point stands. His SO seems to have acted in an unreasonable way. However, none of us know the OP or his SO, so it isn't fair to make judgement calls about EITHER one of them. If I was in the OP's position, I would probably be perturbed, too. He came to vent, just as many others do. Does that make him a bad person? Does that mean he has anger issues? No. As for his SO, maybe she was embarrassed about being wrong and that is why she responded the way that she did? Who knows. The important thing is that the issue is being resolved.

To Heidibrooke - saying that you would call off your wedding over such an insignificant situation is a little extreme, don't you think?

I said over and over again and I will say it again, OP may not have even been as angry as he came across. I'm guessing he truly wasn't since he sent it back and paid for the resizing. However, if a man proposed to me and then got angry because I misjudged my size, yeah, I may question things. Just being truthful. I lost my wedding rings and my husband was not even a little upset with me because it was just a mistake. Mistakes happen. This has gotten out of hand at this point, and any questions, please read what I already stated. No one in this entire thread "jumped down a throat" nor did anyone say he had anger issues. I don't see any facts to back those assumptions. I'm moving on. I won't hash this out any longer. Again, I'm glad they worked it out, and wish them much happiness, and no more hurdles concerning their rings. :D

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
^ :D at the "telephone game" comment in a post above.

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Heidibrooke|1385522794|3563625 said:
smilligan|1385519946|3563589 said:

I said over and over again and I will say it again, OP may not have even been as angry as he came across. I'm guessing he truly wasn't since he sent it back and paid for the resizing. However, if a man proposed to me and then got angry because I misjudged my size, yeah, I may question things. Just being truthful. I lost my wedding rings and my husband was not even a little upset with me because it was just a mistake. Mistakes happen. This has gotten out of hand at this point, and any questions, please read what I already stated. No one in this entire thread "jumped down a throat" nor did anyone say he had anger issues. Really? This is nonsense at this point, moving on.

Obviously, no one was referring to comments in a literal sense. It's all exaggeration based on interpretation. I'm just saying that there's no reason to be defensive or to "assume" how someone is feeling. I'm not attacking you personally (even though I referred to your post) so I hope you don't take it that way. Anyway, I agree that none of this is relevant to the OP.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweler charges $125 for a sizing.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1385570954|3563974 said:
Wow. I got quotes to size mine up one full size. They were 53-50 bucks. A few for $100 though.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I'm still scratching my head over why in the world you think BGD, or really ANY vendor, for that reason would comp you a free ring sizing and shipping when you provided the wrong information. If you knew, and it certainly sounds like you did, the size was off and still ordered it that way then it falls on your shoulders to pay and correct the situation.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1385570954|3563974 said:

Yeah- mine charges $80-100, more if its white gold and you have to add on for Rhodium plating.

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I am surprised that they charge for sizing, especially since it is such a huge purchase. My jeweler covers rhodium plating and lifetime sizing on any ring purchased from them which has been awesome since my fingers have changed sizes several times. Things happen, finger sizes change and I think that jewelers should offer a lifetime policy on rings that can be sized, especially when it can be difficult to determine size on a ring that is bought online. I agree with the OP that it is frustrating to have to send it back and pay an additional fee on top of having just purchased the ring!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YOU got the ring size wrong, not Brian Gavin ..... doesn't seem unreasonable to me that 75.00$ is charged for a full ring size change... the ring will never be quite as strong as if you had it sized correctly... if BG policy is to charge for changes then I don't think you have any reason to be at all miffed..being annoyed with your girlfriend seems fair but she may have lost weight (?) or did not wear jewelry much... if you ever HAVE to buy another engagement ring (sincerely hope not) then you have learned an adult lesson on reading the fine print and ensuring you have the correct size.. I would certainly do business with Brian Gavin.. one they state their policy and two their rings are very beautiful and their prices VERY competitive. It's unfortunate, but in the scheme of life and your life with your gf 75 bucks is nothing.

Kidkat

Rough_Rock
Hey. Just want to share my experience. My hubby had my engagement ring resize TWICE with a local jeweler in NYC for free. We got our wedding bands at Cartier. He also resize his wedding band with Cartier at no additional charge.

In this case BG charged the client 75. It is reasonable, but it is not worth it. If I am BG, I will just make 75 less in profit to make a client happy. I think jewelry company is not just making a one time deal, it is a life time relationship with any client... BC of 75, BG is very likely to lose this client in the future. To me, it is not worth it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the thing...

Kidkat|1385673570|3564553 said:
Hey. Just want to share my experience. My hubby had my engagement ring resize TWICE with a local jeweler in NYC for free. We got our wedding bands at Cartier. He also resize his wedding band with Cartier at no additional charge.

In this case BG charged the client 75. It is reasonable, but it is not worth it.
*** It may not be worth it to you. However, if this was the policy of jeweler you chose, then if you wanted it sized, you'd pay it (assuming the fault was your own).

If I am BG, I will just make 75 less in profit to make a client happy.
*** There is a reason why BG has this policy. If not, then he would have to foot the bill EVERY time a client gave the wrong size. $75 may not seem like a lot, but it adds up and the cost would likely be passed down to the consumer -- and no one likes to pay for others' mistakes, including myself.

I think jewelry company is not just making a one time deal, it is a life time relationship with any client... BC of 75, BG is very likely to lose this client in the future. To me, it is not worth it.
*** Again, this is what you think and is your personal opinion. Although I've never been charged $75 to resize a ring (more like $45), I don't feel it's out of the question. IMO, if $75 is gonna break the bank due to no one's fault but your own, then either make sure you know the size or choose a vendor that will size it for free. If you're not 100% sure if it's right, then either make 100% sure or be prepared to pay to have it resized. Compared to the overall cost of the ring, I just don't think $75 is that big of a deal... and if it is, then you have no one to blame but yourself for not making sure you were ordering the correct size in the first place and/or not reading over any policies set by the vendor. Again, I will reiterate, this is in no way BG's fault. BG should not eat the cost to resize, nor should you expect them to do so. It is their policy, and it is spelled out. Should you choose not to read it or take it seriously is 100% on you (the buyer).

This is just becoming a little ridiculous. BG should not be to blame -- this is their policy. I can't believe that anyone would think for one minute that BG is to blame in this... :nono: It was a mistake made by the OP. BG made a ring in the exact size that was ordered. It turned out that it was the incorrect size for her. To me, the answer is to simply have it resized so that the fiance can enjoy her ring. When are people going to take a little responsibility for their own actions or lack thereof?? Sheesh! :roll: :|

If it is your belief that a vendor should eat any and all costs due to buyer's mistakes, then it would behoove you to purchase from a bench that is going to provide that service. Again, this is why there are policies -- they are not made for our reading enjoyment... there is a reason for them and they are meant to be followed. ::)

Kidkat

Rough_Rock
Relax... it was just my personal experience that I wanted to share with everyone. It didn't mean that I wanted to blame on BG. I never got anything from BG, but will sure be a little disappointed if my other jewelers can offer complimentary resizing while BG can't... Especially on items that are tens of thousands of dollars.. That's all...
and yes it is the customer's fault not to get the exact size. but who gets it right at the first try if the propose is a surprise..

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock

In this case BG charged the client 75. It is reasonable, but it is not worth it. If I am BG, I will just make 75 less in profit to make a client happy. I think jewelry company is not just making a one time deal, it is a life time relationship with any client... BC of 75, BG is very likely to lose this client in the future. To me, it is not worth it.

Was this within the first 3 months of owning the ring? Because my husband went to get his resized at Cartier about a year after purchase and they wanted $125. Not all jewelers charge to resize a ring, but I think the majority do. Yes the OP's situation is frustrating, but I don't think this is a sign of poor customer service at all.

Kidkat

Rough_Rock
the resizing w cartier was not too long from the purchase date :) def not over a yr..

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

So what if BGD loses this *one* client in the future. It's not as if there isn't a WHOLE GLOBAL WORLD of potential clients out there, who are potentially bigger spenders and also less trouble on chat boards. Lose one client, but still thousands exist. :lol:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Kidkat|1385685772|3564587 said:
the resizing w cartier was not too long from the purchase date :) def not over a yr..

Cartier is great early on, but if you need something serviced down the road they do know how to charge! I feel like a dork when I get the big eyed "um how much?" with them.

Anyway, was just trying to illustrate that the $75 charged by BGD isn't that out of line, especially if it includes shipping.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
04diamond<3|1385518257|3563567 said:
Heidibrooke|1385489284|3563284 said:

I again, agree on all counts. I also "hate" when people don't read things and react to only specific things. My comment was regarding such a tiny (fixable) issue and the dramatics. A $75 resizing fee seems minimal to me especially compared to the price of the ring. I would imagine the OP would want to get the ring to fit no matter the mistake. And I agree that an engagement should be a happy time, but a thread like this suggests otherwise. Even if he was upset, I don't feel that this thread was justified in writing a bad thread about a beloved vendor of ours. I am glad though, that things are finally getting corrected.

And, I wasn't being "judgmental based on little information", because there was plenty provided. And it's not about their ENTIRE relationship, just this little tantrum.

I don't understand why several posters get so emotionally invested when people come on here giving their review about a vendor. To call a vendor beloved, it just seems there is so much investment in the vendor. As readers you can really feel it through the posts. The defensiveness and over the top loyalty to a 'beloved' vendor. It's just a persons opinion. Its not like BGD is your friend or family, it's just a business.

It's not a big deal, it's just what it is - so now we know, resizing costs $75. Great.

I just can't imagine why the compulsion is there to be so heavily invested, just as a consumer. So what if one friend doesn't like shopping at one of my favourite stores, I'm not going to get angry. Its not a personal attack, yet posters act like it is.

I may have glossed over when the OP was fuming about things, but it definitely seems unfair to judge their relationship, based on a few posts. It seems very hypocritical to claim the OP is creating drama all just because he doesn't like a business, even if it is a business that another poster may like.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1385702871|3564630 said:
I don't understand why several posters get so emotionally invested when people come on here giving their review about a vendor. To call a vendor beloved, it just seems there is so much investment in the vendor. As readers you can really feel it through the posts. The defensiveness and over the top loyalty to a 'beloved' vendor. It's just a persons opinion. Its not like BGD is your friend or family, it's just a business.

It's not a big deal, it's just what it is - so now we know, resizing costs $75. Great.

I just can't imagine why the compulsion is there to be so heavily invested, just as a consumer. So what if one friend doesn't like shopping at one of my favourite stores, I'm not going to get angry. Its not a personal attack, yet posters act like it is.

I may have glossed over when the OP was fuming about things, but it definitely seems unfair to judge their relationship, based on a few posts. It seems very hypocritical to claim the OP is creating drama all just because he doesn't like a business, even if it is a business that another poster may like.

I have never bought from BGD. A lot of us have, probably more of us have not. I am, however, a fan of their work. =)

This has nothing to do with BGD being "beloved" or not -- the point is that it's irresponsible to make it seem like a vendor isn't giving good customer service (and yes, this is how the OP comes across in the posts) because the buyer failed on two separate accounts. #1 He didn't read and/or understand or accept the vendor's policies, and #2 He gave the wrong size. I'm sure the vendor can sympathize with an irritating situation as such, but in now way should the vendor feel responsible for footing the bill... nor should the vendor be criticized or accused of having subpar customer service for sticking to policy.

I agree, it's not a big deal IMO... and it's not like, "Surprise!! Resizing is $75." :lol: It was stated as such in the policy. It's no surprise and just not something that should come as a shock to the buyer. If this policy was going to be a deal-breaker or something that the OP would become upset about, then he should've made sure to have gotten the correct size or chosen another vendor. Period.

I feel like the OP is frustrated (as he clearly stated), but instead of having us sympathize with him for his fiance giving him the wrong size and/or the inconvenience of having it resized, it seems like he wants us to agree with him that BG should waive the cost of resizing to show "good customer service" or something. The fact of the matter is that the OP's mistake will cost him $75. No one is to blame per se -- it's just a simple sizing mistake made when the ring was ordered. However, the mistake had nothing to do with the vendor, and the vendor absolutely should not feel the need to eat the loss.

I think most of the responses here (well, mine at least) are less about any specific vendor and more about acknowledging personal responsibility.

Obviously, I have no dog in this fight, but it is upsetting to me when people want to blame others for their own mistakes -- it is in bad form to present it on a public forum as a lack of customer service from the vendor. That is not fair to any vendor, "PS beloved" or not.

If the OP posted his comments as a review of the vendor, this is an unbiased summary of what can be gathered from it:
- BGD makes pieces as ordered
- BGD has a policy of $75 to resize a ring
- BGD adheres to their policies
And for personal reference as a consumer:
- It is important to read, understand, and accept any and all policies set forth by your vendor of choice
- If you make a mistake, understand that it is your mistake.

Edited for spelling. :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1385702871|3564630 said:
It seems very hypocritical to claim the OP is creating drama all just because he doesn't like a business, even if it is a business that another poster may like.

It seems that the OP liked the business just fine until he was presented with the fact that he will have to pay a little extra in order to fix his mistake. If someone chooses to dislike a business due to his own mistakes, then that is no reflection of the business whatsoever.

The OP thinks that BG should resize the ring free of charge, regardless of policy. Some agree with this, some do not. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks -- it's the policy of the vendor, and it is 100% up to them if they want to absorb the loss.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results