shape
carat
color
clarity

LTP, and all others too: A little advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love your marquise diamond in the LOGR halo. However, do you think its "safe" with only two prongs? I do like that the tips are protected, but I''m just a bit worried about it loosening up over time. I''ve been interested in that setting for so long, but I''m finally ready to bite the bullet because I keep coming back to it. Do you have any comments? Suggestions for setting it more securely? Do you wear it often, and have you had any issues with it? Many, many thanks in advance!

LTP Marquise.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I''m not LTP and Im not familiar with the setting in question but i can imagine that you''re describing a prong-like securing thing at each far end of the marquise that covers the tip and the immediate 2 sides of the tip. This one prong is then doing the work of two prongs, and so may properly be called a two-pronged prong. Thus, in effect, you have 4 prongs in the ring.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I probably should have included a pic of just the setting. The whole setting only has two prongs at all. VL, I do know what you are talking about, I looks somewhat like a V and protects the point. I think TL''s Mahenge spinel double halo has one of those prongs for the tip of her pear. I wish this setting had one of those!

LTP Setting.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
well that IS interesting. Lovely setting, first of all. I was thinking that blue white bi-colored sapphire that just posted at finewater would be perfect in this.
It looks as though the point actually inserts into the prong, which by its heft holds from L/R as well. Also that being heftier than normal prongs they are less subject to plastic deformation!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Good point, I do see the groove it should fit in.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I honestly can''t remember if I ever saw marquise set any other way than with those two prongs at the tips. Anything else just ruins a nice outline that a marquise can have, and all in all I''d give more attention to the choice of metal, it''s strenght and weight, quality of workmanship, and it''s also useful to read something like this: http://www.suwagem.com/dictionary/quality/book3-20/4.html

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve heard that it isn’t as critical in a smaller stone from a jeweller.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I didn''t see this sooner. I''ve been in Orlando all week for work.
1.gif

I appreciate your nice comments about that ring. I have to admit, before I bought that diamond, I really did NOT care for marquise shapes. So, that marquise ring gets worn at least 1x per week, and because it sits down in the setting so low, I''m not at all worried about the security of the setting because of the 2 prongs. They are bigger prongs than normal. That low slung halo seems to help protect against too much contact with harder surfaces.

However, I''m also not very active with my hands during the day. I work on a laptop all day long, so that''s pretty much the bulk of my time wearing it.

I think with my half carat marquise, it should be fine, but with a larger stone, I would start to worry about security.

What are you planning on setting in that setting?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your responses!

Ma Re, I''ve seen some marquises with a v type prong and some with a six prong, and some bezeled! You are right though, the six prongs do make a marquise look bulky, especially a smaller marquise. I am glad you mentioned that.

Chrono, I think you might have the wrong thread..

LTP, thank you so much for the insight! You''re right; it is a very low setting, and enclosed in the halo, so it should be ok. I just bought a .4 carat marquise diamond for that setting! I am so excited. Its going to be a ring for my mom''s birthday in a few months. I think she''ll really like it.
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indy,
I guess my answer wasn''t clear.
15.gif
I have talked to a PS jeweller/vendor about 2 prongs + a single chevron pear setting and also a 2 pronged marquise setting, and was told that it wasn''t as critical to have so many prongs in a smaller stone. He suggested that a larger stone will require more prongs to keep it safe but it''s fine for a smaller stone.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh Chrono, I misread entirely!

I read it as "it won''t be an issue" for a "smaller stone from a jeweler". I read that the stone was from the jeweler, not the advice!!
20.gif
Sorry about that! My new marquise is .38 or .39ish, so those two prongs should be sufficient now that I think more about it. I''m just not used to anything less than 4 prongs, so two feels to be quite few! Here''s a pic of my new marquise!

momsbdayring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t worry about it, Indy. I sometimes don’t explain myself very well.
1.gif
Your marquise looks lovely with hardly any bowtie. Do I spy a very small culet too?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I''m not exactly sure what a small cutlet means.
7.gif
/*embarrassment*

I know, I know. I have limited experience with diamonds and have studied them far less than I have CS. However, I do think this bugger is cut kind of shallow, because it faces up pretty big for its weight. I''ll be sure to post pics once it arrives! I hope its as good as the picture, and it does seem like a pretty solid no frills attached picture.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A culet is the very tip of the stone at the pavilion. Most stones'' culet comes to a point but most old cut diamonds have it "cropped" off so it essentially becomes another flat facet surface. One nice thing about marquise cuts is they are generally shallow compared to all the other cuts and face up large for their carat weight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results