shape
carat
color
clarity

Lower vs. ppper part of old Quebec City

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''ve read my other thread, "Honeymoon Dilemma," you''ll know we are thinking about changing the destination for our honeymoon. We''re thinking of going to QC. It''s funny we''re thinking of this now, because it was one of the places we originally thought of when we first began planning. I''ve heard there''s a lower and an upper section of the old city within the walls. Is one supposed to be better than the other?

Who knows if this will actually pan out. I know it''s QC''s 300th anniversary so the chance of us getting a reasonably priced hotel room may be very slim. It''s worth a shot though.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Duh. I really can spell. The title should read "Lower vs. upper..." I''m sure you figured that out though.
2.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''ll try to look some stuff up for you, ok? It''s the 400th anniversary, btw!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been there. Old Quebec City is a destination, but it's not that huge or anything. What time of year are you going? During the summer season there are cruises, which are nice. It's a quaint area to walk around, and there are nice bistros. Where would you stay? The accommodations can be quite pricy there. We also visited Montreal which has great shopping in the underground mall. Basically both places are great for doing a lot of walking.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Anchor!

I meant to type 400 not 300. Oops. I did go back and read your post(s?) from the last time I inquired about QC. Thank you again for recommending places to visit. It''s hard planning a trip to somewhere you''re so unfamiliar with.

Hi Lyra,

We''re not sure where we''d stay if we go. We''re planning a honeymoon to Portugal but it''s very expensive right now and we''re thinking of backing out. We''re looking into other, less expensive options as a back up plan. We don''t want to give up a honeymoon all together though. We''ve actually been to QC before and we stayed at the Lowe''s, right outside the walls. It was very nice but we want to stay within the walls this time. We''d be arriving the day after our wedding on July 12th.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I spent a summer in Quebec when I was a teenager. It''s a lovely and quaint town; the lower portion has the first street in North America (built in 1630, if memory serves) and tight streets/buildings; the upper portion has street traffic and a more contemporary layout. Excellent food if you''re into ragout and french sauces that have a rustic flair. The Chateau Frontenac (part of the Fairmont chain now, built as one of the jewels of the Canadian Pacific Railroad) is where I''d stay now, but then again I haven''t checked out hotel options there in a long, long while. Travel between the two sections is easy and fun-- a funicular connects the two levels. They landscape is also quite beautiful-- waterfalls abound in multiple directions within 1/2 hour''s drive-- and I would definitely partake in any option involving products made from maple, hee hee.

My warm feelings for Quebec aside, I read your other post and would vote for Portugal. Your honeymoon will always be one of your more standout travel memories, and there''s something to be said about having your longstanding dreams come true in the opening days of your marriage.
2.gif
Quebec is charming, but the price difference of a couple thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket when the alternative use is saving up 13.3% versus 13.5% of the purchase price of a home, you know?

f-d-l

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 7:30:02 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett

We''re not sure where we''d stay if we go. We''re planning a honeymoon to Portugal but it''s very expensive right now and we''re thinking of backing out. We''re looking into other, less expensive options as a back up plan. We don''t want to give up a honeymoon all together though. We''ve actually been to QC before and we stayed at the Lowe''s, right outside the walls. It was very nice but we want to stay within the walls this time. We''d be arriving the day after our wedding on July 12th.
OMG, Zoe, this is SO funny........you''re facing the same thing I did!

I was married on July 11 (which was one day prior to our July 12 anniversary of when we began dating). We, too, considered a European honeymoon (London). In the end, we decided against it for many of the same reasons. It''s UBER expensive at that time of year, and European hotels don''t appear to have air conditioning as a standard amenity. On top of that, it''s HIGH SEASON (think crowded). The $$ wasn''t very strong even then against the Euro, and we''d have had to reeeeeeeeeeeally watch the pennies just to stay even CLOSE to budget.

We decided to defer the European trip for another time (5th anniv. maybe?) when we could go at a more favorable time of year. We picked a few destinations in this country instead, and got SO much more for the money. We did a 9-day split destination honeymoon; first half in San Francisco and the second half in Las Vegas, and it was WONDERFUL.

I''d say you''re way on the right track, though, in still wanting to do some kind of honeymoon, definitely. After the excitement leading up to the wedding, it was such a nice luxury to have the time away together and really let it ''sink in''....
2.gif
It was just surreal to go away and celebrate our newly married status.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
We went to QC a few years back. I love it there - so European, but still in Canada!! And so romantic - cobble stone streets, outdoor bistros, wine, music.....

We stayed in the Dominion 1912, a great boutique hotel in the lower town. I preferred the lower town - lots of antique shops, cute little bistros. Everything is so close between the upper and lower town that it is super easy to walk about.

Personally, I would avoid the Chateau Frontenac - lots of people from our hotel were there first, and then left!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
We have also been to Portugal. Honestly, for my money, I preferred to QC! I know, I sound crazy, but I really found QC more relaxing and more fun.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where in Portugal were you, LitigatorChick? Why did you think it was less relaxing than QC? I''ve heard great things on Trip Advisor about the Dominion and I''ll definitely look into it.

The thing that doesn''t thrill us is driving the 6-7 hours to get to QC. We''ve done it before but for some reason, I feel like it won''t be as romantic as being whisked away on a plane. Silly, I know.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too funny, Alj! I''m glad you had a fabulous honeymoon, even if it wasn''t the one you were planning. We could put off going away until next Feb. or April, when it''s not the high season in so many places, but I don''t want to wait that long after the wedding.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi ZoZo,

Have you considered taking the train? Why not meander up there via Montreal?

Here is the map of Amtrak''s routes. Springfield MA will take you direct to Mntl, if someone can drive you there, and then you can spend a few days in Mntl if you want, or just change trains for QC. Trains are so relaxing and special (at least for me). Oh, and if it''s closer, there is connecting service from that station in St.Albans VT to Mntl by bus, btw.

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/national.pdf

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hiya Indy!

Hmmm, I hadn''t considered a train. Normally, the route you suggested wold be fantastic but we''ll be going through southern Maine so we''ll head north from there. I''ll look into that option just in case though. Thanks so much for checking into it for us.

Your friend,

ZoZo
9.gif

(btw, that''s what we affectionately call our kitty, Zoe)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 7:30:02 PM
Hi Anchor!

I meant to type 400 not 300. Oops. I did go back and read your post(s?) from the last time I inquired about QC. Thank you again for recommending places to visit. It''s hard planning a trip to somewhere you''re so unfamiliar with.

Hi Lyra,

Oh, good. Let me know if you need anything else.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 3:27:42 PM
Where in Portugal were you, LitigatorChick? Why did you think it was less relaxing than QC? I''ve heard great things on Trip Advisor about the Dominion and I''ll definitely look into it.

The thing that doesn''t thrill us is driving the 6-7 hours to get to QC. We''ve done it before but for some reason, I feel like it won''t be as romantic as being whisked away on a plane. Silly, I know.
In Portugal, we spent the first 10 days in and around Lisbon. We then flew to Madiera and spent 4 days there. I think I found the language barrier a real challenge. Also, I was not in love with the food.

But QC however.... yummy food - crepes in the morning, poutine for lunch, mussels and frites for supper, wine all day. And the atmosphere is so enchanting - horse drawn carriage rides, cobble stone streets. We just felt less rushed there. And the hotel - oh how I loved that Dominion. I was just a very happy LC in QC.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Zoe -

I just got an email about Quebec from the Telegraph. Apparently that are celebrating 400 years and are really playing it up [I have not yet read the thread so I''m not sure if that has been mentioned] Here is a link to the info on Quebec they sent in case you are not on their list:http://www.bonjourquebec.com/ca-en/forfaits_400_quebec0.html

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Blu,

Thanks for the link. We don''t get the paper so I hadn''t seen it. I''ll read it later this evening.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 6:42:26 PM
Hi Blu,
Thanks for the link. We don''t get the paper so I hadn''t seen it. I''ll read it later this evening.

LOL! Neither do we! I must have signed up to be able to read something so they send me email occasionally. Finally an email was of some use! I have to say, I was in Quebec City once may years ago and I loved it. I keep meaning to go back. When we do we will stay at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. It is a gorgeous chateau like place.
http://www.fairmont.com/Frontenac

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2008 3:21:06 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu

Date: 1/16/2008 6:42:26 PM
Hi Blu,

LOL! Neither do we! I must have signed up to be able to read something so they send me email occasionally. Finally an email was of some use! I have to say, I was in Quebec City once may years ago and I loved it. I keep meaning to go back. When we do we will stay at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. It is a gorgeous chateau like place.
http://www.fairmont.com/Frontenac
Blu - I personally am not a fan of the Chateau Frontenac. It is gorgeous from the outside, but the rooms are not my style. Far preferred the Dominion.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was surprised to read mixed reviews of the Frontenac on Trip Advisor. We looked into the Dominion but in the end we went with the Clarendon.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 7:06:45 AM
I was surprised to read mixed reviews of the Frontenac on Trip Advisor. We looked into the Dominion but in the end we went with the Clarendon.
I agree - it was always that "icon" hotel in the City. But in reality, not so great.

Hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results