shape
carat
color
clarity

low-set, thin, x-prong setting (not custom made)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Hi folks! This is a really helpful website...lots of beautiful rings! I was wondering if anyone has, or knows about, a setting with several criteria...I have been looking online and not found any premade setting that fits this criteria:

low-set
thin (around 2 or 2.5 mm)
for a princess or radiant (so four/eight prongs)
x-prong shape with basket (or if not x-prong, just with a basket)

I found a great example of a ring like this on this thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/low-set-rings.20724/

on the second post, the picture collage by rockupied is gorgeous - but she notes that it is a custom made ring.

If anyone has any advice, that would be great! while having something custom made is an option, it would definitely be easier to buy something already made (and probably cheaper, right?)

Thanks so much for any help!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I recently bought a Vatche ROYAL X prong for a round brilliant. The sides taper thinner towards the diamond and its very graceful and elegent, and sits low. winkjones.com carries one for a princess cut - look in his store under Vatche
1.gif

The setting looks heavier in the photo than it does in reality!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-royal-x-prong.39780/ This is a link to the thread with the picture of my setting with a .75 round

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Check out WhiteFlash:

LINK: This one is a bit thicker than you would probably want, but maybe WF could shave it down a bit.

LINK: This is similar but with a twist and is thinner.

Thank you guys so much for the replies!!!

tulip, the royal x-prong looks like it has a lot of my criteria...and it''s so pretty! I was wondering if you knew how thick it was towards the diamond? Did you specific for yours to be low-set or was it just made that way automatically? I looked at the winkjones website and it said that rings take 4 weeks to make - that makes it sound as though they are customized somehow? I might be dense about this but I thought that something like the vatche setting could just be ordered and would already be made for different sized settings.

Rascal and ChargerGrrl, thanks for the links...the w-prong by whiteflash looks great, unfortunately it seems like you have to buy a diamond from them to get it.
8.gif

Too bad,because it''s a neat setting and looks slimmer than the standard and vatche x-prongs.

I wonder if anywhere else makes a w-prong - I looked and didn''t see it elsewhere..hmmm...

Thanks again y''all!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2006 9:45:00 PM
Author: questionaboutsettings

I wonder if anywhere else makes a w-prong - I looked and didn''t see it elsewhere..hmmm...
That is WF''s design - an I don''t think anyone else does it.

The X-prong (Lucida style, trellis or whatever else it is called) comes in relatively less expensive off the rack versions and what you want - narrow shank and lower set diamond may be a matter of tweaking such a stock setting a bit while the setting job is done - the shank could be ''shaved down'' a bit and the stone can be set lower if that is what you want - there is some room for adjustment. You would have to ask the jeweler setting the stone about that. Buying from a large shop that allows no options about how the rings are set would rule this out, but otherwise it doesn''t sound like tall order at all.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the Vatche website and found the authorized dealer near me. I then went there to see the setting. They had to order the Royal X prong for me because they didn't carry it yet. It took about a week to get here from Vatche. It took about 2 weeks total, they didn't have to size the ring because Vatche sent a sz 6 and that's my size. Some people have Vatche set the stone, but my jeweler set it for me. Vatche makes the setting in specific sizes such as for .50, .75, 1 ct., etc. The width of the band varies with each size stone, it is proportionate to the stone. My band is about 3mm at the side, tapering to 2mm at the top. My diamond is about 6mm in diameter. I love the setting!
1.gif
ooops almost forgot - the setting is a low setting, you don't have to request that.

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Vatche''s website is at: dvatche.com There''s a link to find store locations.
1.gif

tulip, thanks for even more info on the royal x-prong - it sounds/looks great! Unfortunately, the nearest Vatche dealers is several hours from where I live, so I guess that won''t work...
7.gif
too bad, because it''s so pretty....

valeria, thank you for the information - I guess that makes sense that a standard ring could be modified, but I would need to work with an individual jeweler to do it. There are a number of jewelry chains in my area (Kay, Finks, etc) that I have looked at, but none seem to have the style setting I am looking for (most of the settings are very high-set and the few low-set ones seem like the stone is not well protected)...if anyone has any store suggestions that would be great! The only problem I see with buying online is that if the stone is from somewhere else, asking someone online to modify a ring setting without having the stone sounds risky, but it also sounds risky to send the stone off to have it set!

thanks again! I''ll keep working on this :)

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Do you already have a diamond or are you shopping for one? Everybody around here is so helpful - I bet there would be a way for you to buy the Vatche from someone and have them set it with your stone. I was forutnate that there was a dealer near me.

I read about someone who had the setting shipped to them so they could see it before deciding. Are you working under a time constraint?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results