shape
carat
color
clarity

Love or Data? Heart or Mind?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We see it here all the time.
Someone will post specs of a diamond they are considering.

Most people will discuss the specs at length.
Then someone will write, "But do you love it?"
or, "Pick the one that speaks to you"

I can think on one vendor who doesn't like the tools.
He says, "Just trust your eye."

So, which is it?
Should we follow our brain's left or right side?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Using all the tools to screen diamonds for training your eye or making rough decisions is VERY useful. Ultimately, one must decide based on the budget and how one likes the various choices they have found. It requirews both sides of the brain to make a smart decision. Reliance on just tools or just impulsive romance, will generally lead to mistakes......It can be fun, but still a mistake. If you do a complete job, you''ll have nothing to regret about the purchase.

Tool Guy

Rough_Rock
I agree David, the tools help make a better decision.
28.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2006 1:39:35 PM
Author: oldminer

Using all the tools to screen diamonds for training your eye or making rough decisions is VERY useful.
Ditto.

Once the cold data gets sorted out, heart can take over, and love the good the bad and the ugly, whichever it might want.
Information should take away the unpleasant feelings: uncertainty, doubt... mistakes, regret. The heart is the master of that process and should get the last word, in my opinion.

Wishful thinking?
12.gif

On a different note though,
34.gif

It may be that 'technology', and the standardization it brings makes a great tool for setting expectations, narrowing benchmarks, shaping monetary and ultimately emotional value. Interesting enough - but not quite so heart warming anymore. IMO, that is the truly 'cold' mental part of the process

If 'experts are only as good as the sum total of what they have seen', information and choice - even emotional or aesthetic choice are not separate. For me, it is comforting to see things that way.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results