shape
carat
color
clarity

Louis vs Marc vs Burberry... bag help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
So I just had a bday and my parents surprised me with a little handmade gift certificate saying "One Bag" in my card.
2.gif
But my decision-making skills are VERY lacking, and I''ve been having the hardest time choosing!!

I started thinking about a Burberry Nova Check tote (similar to Monarch''s!)... then moved on to the new LV Neverfull PM (smallest size)... then thought maybe the Neverfull MM (medium size).... then thought maybe a Marc Jacobs bag (the Quinn) in either stone or red, since I already have functiona Coach bags in black and camel. I was at the mall today and bought the LV Neverfull MM (gasp!!)... but I''m still thinking about the MJ bag......

I like the idea of something large enough to fit a notebook in, since this will overlap as a work bag sometimes... yet comfy enough to be an everyday bag too. I also like the idea of something that goes with any color outfit/shoes, and my friend insists the LV does... but maybe red or stone would be better for that?

Thoughts? Input? Help pretty please from all of you wise PS purse-people??
12.gif

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
OK some pix for inspiration... here is the Marc Jacobs Quinn Turnlock Tote in Red (16½"W X 13½"H X 7"D) :

EphMJRed.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Same MJ bag in Stone:

EphMJStone.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
The LV Neverfull MM (12.5"x 11.5"x 6.5") ... it looks much cuter when the sides are cinched though!

EphLVNeverfullMM.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
OK found a pic from thebaghag.blogspot.com of all 3 sizes of the LV Neverfull, all nicely cinched up:

EphNeverfull3.jpg

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
And finally the Burberry Nova Check Tote (9 1/2"w x 9 1/2"h x 5"d)... I''ve seen the one with metallic straps, but none of the Burberry''s around here have the one with black straps in stock... I''d have to order it online, which I kinda hate to do without actually seeing it first...

EphBBsmall.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Burberry bag hands down!

One thing though; I had a Burberry bucket bag years ago and after a while I noticed it started to look really dirty but no matter what I did I couldn't clean it. I ended up taking it back to the store for advice and they told me that the material was heat fused paper that was then coated with plastic and the bag wasn't really dirty, it's that it was wearing through. Turns out that carrying it over my shoulder was making it rub against my body and wear out. So, if you carry your bag that way, ask them what the material is these days and make sure it won't wear out like that. Fortunately they replaced my bag (and for what I paid they damn well better have) but I've never carried it under my arm again. As a matter of fact, the bag is now over 5 years old and it looks as new as the day I got it.

Sorry for the long winded answer, I just didn't want big $ to go out the door only for you to have the same problem I did later on.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
burberry. for me personally.

the marc seems i dunno maw mawish?
and the lv seems maybe not structured enough or special enough or something. can''t quite put my finger on it. maybe it''s the skinny handles?
this is just my personal opinion though.
for ME it''d be the burberry.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm, handbags! Yummmmm! LOL

I don''t really care for that MJ, I agree with JCrow, it kind of looks matronly or something. I like his Faridah styles with the flap pockets on the front, they''re a little more stylish, imo. I think mine is called Faridah Luxy, I''ll try to dig up a pic.

I like the Neverfull, but are you going to carry a notebook as in "laptop" in it? I know the handles are said to support something like 200 lbs, but I think I remember reading on tpf that people were having issues with the straps fraying already. It''s a really cute bag, though, I like the looks of it a lot.

I really like my Burberry, I can fit a good amount of stuff in it and it''s still not a ginormous bag. Honestly, the best choices I''ve made with bags so far have been impulse buys. I think you must really like the Neverfull since you snatched it up over the others.

faridahluxy.JPG

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the feedback!! Very interesting... from most of my IRL friends/family/colleagues I''ve heard "definitely get the Louis"... my BFF is actually out visiting another friend in LA, and they drove immediately to an LV store with a bunch of other people to try on the Neverfull, and came back with a unanimous vote!! Haha... one of the girls even bought it right then and there as a gift for her mom''s bday. So it''s nice to hear other perspectives too!

More opinions pretty please?
12.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh, and i wanted to mention - i really love the proportions of the burberry bag!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I own bags by all three and my vote would be for the Marc Jacobs in red. To me it looks kind of frumpy in the stone, but the red is gorgeous. I love the rich smooth leather on his bags and they aren''t "out there" with all those logos. They are all nice choices though.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woooooooooooooooooooo I vote for the LV!!! I have both Burberry and LV and my LV work no matter what the season or the outfit! I love my burberry but it feels more spring/summer.... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Just my opinion.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
p.s. I am loving the large Neverfull!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to weigh in on the Louis Vuitton. I got the Neverfull MM and absolutely love it! I was going to order it from Eluxury and couldn''t decide between the GM or MM, so I stopped by our local Louis Vuitton and tried them both for size and left with the MM! For me it''s a perfect daily tote.

Please post pics of what you decide to go with
35.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
The LV Neverfull is really cute. I''ve seen it in person and I like the thin straps. However, what bugs me is there''s no zipper! If that doesn''t bother you then I vote for that bag. My second choice would be the Burberry bag.

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
i luuurrrve the LV neverfull...the striped lining is just too cute. and i agree with your friend...lv monogram goes with everything. i used to be nervous wearing it with black (the whole black vs brown thing y''know) but after seeing tons of ppl carrying it with black, i realized th epattern is so classic, it still goes. works well casually with jeans or what not and still looks good in a dressier environ like work (as long as monogrammed stuff is ok at work). LV is super durable too, which is great.

if you hadn''t guessed by now...my vote goes to Louis
9.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
If one bag has to do double duty, I'd eliminate the MJ red and stone. I love red handbags and own a few of differing fabrics/designers, but there are so many times where I'm running out of the house and if I'm wearing something that would clash, I have to scramble to put it in a different bag. Perhaps this is normal, but I rarely panic with either the LV monogram or LV black epi, but red doesn't go well with light blue... or green... or coral... or pink... or, well, you get the point.

I like both the burberry and the LV, but if I had to get one or the other, my vote would be LV. The pattern is timeless, their monogram coated canvas is nearly indestructible, and they don't show signs of wear easily. The only downside is that you'll have to get used to envious girls shooting dirty looks at you for having their dream bag.
9.gif

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
i vote for the LV!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for more votes!! My friend just called specifically to see what the PS community thought about my bag decision...
9.gif

I went back to Burberry today (it's way too conveniently located a block from my apt building) but they still didn't have the small tote in stock. The LV, on the other hand, has been patiently sitting on my dining room table for the last 24 hours.... and getting harder and harder to resist! I'm still wavering a bit on size... the MM is definitely great for a tote... I can fit my laptop (small, only about 5lbs) in it, along with a calendar and other work stuff. Still, I was wearing a sundress and flat sandals today and it looked a bit big when I tried it on (I'm about 5'5, 120). But with jeans and heels, it looked right.... hmmmm.

I think I'm being so wishy-washy because I feel guilty about spending that much money... I'm supplementing my parents' generosity with other birthday money, so it's not coming out of my bank account per se.... but I've been in grad school for ages so I am NOT used to making luxury purchases for myself. Still, my BFF keeps reminding me that at some point, my money will be going towards kids and family... this may be my last opportunity for a while to spoil myself to this degree.

And speaking of degrees, I officially finished my 2nd masters program on Friday!! So maybe this bag can be celebratory for more than just bday reasons....
1.gif

I love hearing everyone's feedback... thank you so much!!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 9:53:24 PM
Author: ephemery1
And speaking of degrees, I officially finished my 2nd masters program on Friday!! So maybe this bag can be celebratory for more than just bday reasons....
1.gif

I love hearing everyone''s feedback... thank you so much!!
36.gif
CONGRATULATIONS!!! That''s a fantastic accomplishment! Definitely go with the LV in that case--I''m with you that I''d feel guilty spending that kind of money on a bag, but with all those things to celebrate and people encouraging you to spoil yourself, DO IT, honey!! Do it and enjoy!! You know you want to.
31.gif
2.gif

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the LV!

It will be a classic forever and it really goes with every outfit in any season. The MJ bag will go out of style eventually as new styles emerge, and the Burberry Nova Check is adorable and classic but the pattern is not as versatile IMHO.
1.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
ephemery, happy belated birthday and congratulations on completing your 2nd masters degree!
36.gif

I totally understand how you feel guilty on spending so much on a luxury purchase. I keep going back and forth on whether or not to buy myself a RHR. I am frugal and hardly ever spoil myself. Sometime soon my money will all be going to family and kids sooo...I think I will!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Gwen and Snlee!! I am a little blase about graduating since it''s technically my 3rd degree in 6 years, and I''ve gotten a bit sensitive to all the "so you''re just going to be a professional student forever?" comments.
20.gif
Although I''d secretly LOVE to be in school forever... I''m just planning to make the next program a PhD so I can get some funding!
2.gif

Update on Bag Decision ''07: the LV is still sitting forlornly on the dining room table while I make up my mind... maybe I''ll take some pix modeling it for inspiration, hmmmm....

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2007 2:20:56 PM
Author: ephemery1
Update on Bag Decision ''07: the LV is still sitting forlornly on the dining room table while I make up my mind... maybe I''ll take some pix modeling it for inspiration, hmmmm....
Heehee, good idea!
36.gif

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
I say go for the LV. I own a few LVs and their quality is amazing. The Monogram Line is such a classic and will go with anything.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of those, for me, I'd choose the Burberry. Really only because LV is kind of tired (but take that with a grain of salt as I live in beverly hills!!). I love a good MJ, but not loving that specific one.

You were smart not to open this thread up to suggestions, I could inundate you with all the bags I've been eyeing for myself
31.gif
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results