shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost buyer seeking advice on white sapphire engagement rings

pearwhitesapphire

Rough_Rock
So for the past few days I've been lurking on this forum as well as several other sites but I still feel pretty lost on all this. I really want to make sure my girlfriend enjoys her ring even if our budget is a little low($2,000). So far, I know she is interested in white sapphire and likes a pear cut shape within a rose gold halo setting. I'm wondering if you can point me towards the right direction as far as places that could have such a ring. I managed to find one ring on etsy here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/207561834/tabitha-7x5mm-ult-petite-bead-eye-14kt but I must admit I am a little hesitant about buying this from etsy and of course want to check other places first. I appreciate any help you guys can give!

Re: Lost buyer seeking advice on white sapphire engagement r

they need to proof that there is no treatment on the sapphire.
saying it is unheated won't convince me. ask them for a test report, if it comes out fine you can pay the $100 or so for the report but if not you must have option to cancel the order.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why does she want a white sapphire?
Does she like them on their own or are you buying one because she actually wants a diamond but right now you can't afford one the size she wants?

I ask because if it's the latter, make sure she sees a white sapphire in person becuase they don't look like diamonds.

2k is for the whole thing ring?

pearwhitesapphire

Rough_Rock

I guess I'm not sure what the issue with having it treated is? I can ask for the report but I'd like to know what the difference is.

Yes she has seen white sapphire in person and has told me she does like it and we have agreed to save up to spend more on the wedding and honeymoon.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like white sapphires! They definitely don't look like diamonds, as Niel said above, because they don't throw fire like a diamond. Having said that, I have a really awesome pair of earrings that my husband gave me a few years ago that I love and get compliments on all the time. They really do sparkle, particularly when cleaned - it's just a different sparkle than diamonds. And I will say, I have to clean them way more regularly than I would diamond earrings to make them shine and sparkle.

Here are a few sites I found that do white sapphire engagement rings:

https://www.gemvara.com

https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com (this site gets mixed reviews on here, but they have a lot of stones/rings to look at!)

http://www.astrologicalgem.com/jyotish-white-sapphire.php?gclid=CI37u5XGydECFctMDQod84QCAw (loose stones)

I'm interested to see what you come up with!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The setting looks nice but the sapphire looks windowed, despite the claims of the seller that it is "premium cut". Maybe it's just me but all their stones look identical (all rounds look the same, all ovals look the same, etc), making me wonder whether they are photoshopped. If I am buying a specific setting and stone, I want to see the actual item I will receive, not a generic or stock picture.

pearwhitesapphire

Rough_Rock

Thanks everybody for all the help, I have many places to check with now.

I will have to see about getting a picture of the actual stone but looks like from the description that they are made to order.

I did get a quote today from Kay Jewelers on a 8x6mm white sapphire centersone in rose gold with diamonds on band and halo for $920. I'm trying to do a search now to see people's experiences with Kay but if anyone has any input I'd love to hear about!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

youll find there are not many favorable reviews of kays on this site.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearwhitesapphire|1484683655|4116038 said:
Thanks everybody for all the help, I have many places to check with now.

I will have to see about getting a picture of the actual stone but looks like from the description that they are made to order.

I did get a quote today from Kay Jewelers on a 8x6mm white sapphire centersone in rose gold with diamonds on band and halo for $920. I'm trying to do a search now to see people's experiences with Kay but if anyone has any input I'd love to hear about!
Be careful it's not a synthetic.

pearwhitesapphire|1484666774|4115961 said:
I guess I'm not sure what the issue with having it treated is?.

It's a big topic and I am not qualified to sumarize it but you can find a radical anti-treatment essay here:
http://www.wildfishgems.com/treatment

I feel that low-heat-only is OK for most people on a budget but other treatments are frowned upon (unless they are properly disclosed and cost only a fraction of the real stuff). I remember to have read that pure white sapphires are heat treated to burn heavy inclusions away but not to loose color. Is that correct?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I accept heat treatment but am not all right with synthetics unless that is what I want and priced accordingly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The pictures are so horrible that I cannot tell a thing about the cut quality, which is of utmost importance when you have a white stone. I don't need a back view of the stone, and the one picture of the front is at an angle so all I see is the table glare.

pearwhitesapphire

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1484837453|4116521 said:
The pictures are so horrible that I cannot tell a thing about the cut quality, which is of utmost importance when you have a white stone. I don't need a back view of the stone, and the one picture of the front is at an angle so all I see is the table glare.

Here are some more pictures that he provided for me: m.imgur.com/a/f9xXt

_6414.jpeg

_6415.jpeg

_6416.jpeg

Forgive me if that is harsh, but does it not look like a piece of milky glass?

bigsky_wanderer

Rough_Rock

Have you considered a good old American sapphire from Montana? This pear cut is a great price for the size, and would still allow you to stay in budget. (FYI, the 25% off sale only lasts till the end of the month.)
http://blazengems.com/retail/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86&products_id=1606

It may have a bit of a bluish tone to it, but it looks pretty close to white. You could ask Blaze (the owner of the mine) for more pictures. I have worked with him recently and he's very responsive and helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results