shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose or set for independent appraiser?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Hello all, if I were to purchase a diamond in a setting can I still send it to an independent appraiser or should I purchase the diamond loose, get it appraised then send it back to get set? I''m assuming I can do both but am not sure of the stipulations for each.

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it totally depends on what you want from the appraisal.
a basic confirmation that it is what it was sold as can be done in the setting. if you want a full workup with all the analysis and then some, sending the stone loose would be the best option.

robtali

Rough_Rock
Hey snowboarder. Sorry it took so long for a reply, I haven''t been online. I sent you a pm with the info on who to talk to at Whiteflash.... great guy, highly recommended....

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Belle - thanks for the info! For now I''d just want a little peace of mind knowing I received the right stone but at the same time I am anxious to get the ring and stone together.
1.gif

Robtali - Got your email, thank you for the information also. Glad everything worked out for you.

robtali

Rough_Rock
Obviously I am partial to the way that I handled the situation, because I decided it was best for me, but let me chime in. I liked the fact I could get the stone online at a SIGNIFICANT discount. I have looked locally for a long time, and nothing even came close for the quality and size that I got. I estimate about $1500 in savings.
That said, I also like the fact that I am getting it set locally. I can see the setting in person, put the diamond in one of those "holders", for lack of a better word, and hold it over the setting to see what it would look like. I can have it set "while I wait" at a couple places. And I get to inspect the stone completely before it is set, so I know it inside and out, and know nothing can be hidden from me under a prong....
Also, knowing I had the stone in my posession, I could take my time a little more with the setting. I knew that once I picked something, it would be set very quickly and I would be ready to go. It''s also nice if you are on a budget (obviously since the rock is cheaper), but you can pay for the setting seperately, so you can wait until you are ready.

Just my opinion....which is always right....just kidding....

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Robtali - great points indeed. I''ll be over at whiteflash if ya need me...
2.gif

belle - I have a question for ya. I was told anything from a .96 to 1.02 is considered a carat. Is this true? Do you know why?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2006 4:59:26 PM
Author: snowboarder

belle - I have a question for ya. I was told anything from a .96 to 1.02 is considered a carat. Is this true? Do you know why?
yes, it is true.

per the ftc:

(c) If diamond weight is stated as decimal parts of a carat (e.g., .47 carat), the stated figure should be accurate to the last decimal place. If diamond weight is stated to only one decimal place (e.g., .5 carat), the stated figure should be accurate to the second decimal place (e.g., ".5 carat" could represent a diamond weight between .495-.504).
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/jewel-gd.htm#§%2023.17%20Misrepresentation%20of%20weight%20and%20"total%20weight."

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Excellent. Thanks belle.
2.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I usually advise if the client has a good opinion of the vendor, and the vendor supplies a plethora of information, to go ahead and have it mounted and appraised as such.

That way you save double shipping, and appraisal revision charges (with mounting).

If the client is not sure of the vendor, and the vendor supplies minimal information, then I recommend having the diamond appraised loose, and then with a mounted stone appraisal revision.

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Rich, in your opinion, what is a plethora of information? Should I assume an IS, Brillancescope and Sarin report?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2006 8:38:38 PM
Author: snowboarder
Rich, in your opinion, what is a plethora of information? Should I assume an IS, Brillancescope and Sarin report?
A major gem lab report along with an OGI or Sarin report and an idealscope photo should do nicely.

snowboarder

Rough_Rock
Cool Rich, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results