shape
carat
color
clarity

loose or set diamond first?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ak dia

Rough_Rock
i just received my asccher cut diamond on a single solitaire setting from a supposedly reliable online diamond source. i dont know if its because of the setting or or because of the diamond but it seems a bit crooked.
I am starting to feel a bit weirded out about this.
I am going to send it in to the GIA for verification, but should i get the diamond off the setting first to get a more accurate report? If i do that then i would a)have to return the whole ring to the sender and have them return just the diamond and find a mount and have it set elsewhere b) have that done here in NYC jeweler and risk the possibility that if anything gets altered badly on the setting back i cant return the ring OR the diamond. I'm quite new at this. Please HElp!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
It is possible that the diamond was simply not set straight. Why do you think that this has anything to do with the diamond''s certification? Just wondering because I don''t see a connection. I would get into contact with the jeweler and tell them the problem. I would take pictures and email them to the jeweler so you can show them just what the problem is. They should not have a problem with resetting it straight for you. This is not a highly unusual problem BTW, so I wouldn''t worry about it too much, though it does kind of stink that you have to send it back. Oh, and they should pay for the shipping IMO.

Mind posting a pic here so we can see the problem?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA will only do a verification if the stone is unmounted but, like Jasmine, I don''t understand why you want to do this? Are you suspecting that the stone isn''t the one described in the GIA report? If this is the concern, don''t have it removed from the mounting. Take it directly to a qualified appraiser and ask them if the stone and the report match. You don''t want anyone else to have worked on the setting since you received it from the jeweler and you should get an answer to this question as quickly as possible.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional appraisals in Denver

ak dia

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the advice!
I was going to get the diamond verified anyway as common practice to buying a diamond online. Plus GIA is currently doing a free verification with the mount. However i wasnt sure how accurate it will be with the setting, especially with areas under the prongs.
I guess i was just a little bummed when i saw how crooked the prongs seemed to be. I was a little nervous about buying the diamond online in the first place, but i figured with a 30 day return policy it was safe. All in all i just want to make sure that since this is the first diamond engagement ring, that i'm getting that everything is perfect.

ak dia

Rough_Rock
Here is a photo of my ring with the setting i was telling you about. what do you think? I am in the design field and these type of little details tend to really be very noticeable to me. i noticed it as soon as it was placed on my finger. I figured that to a good jeweler who deals with diamonds where the littlest details are money then these types of would be just as noticeable. It just makes the total effect of the diamond look rather askew.

ring_nyc06.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
can you take some side shots and post them?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2006 10:04:45 PM
Author: ak dia
Here is a photo of my ring with the setting i was telling you about. what do you think? I am in the design field and these type of little details tend to really be very noticeable to me. i noticed it as soon as it was placed on my finger. I figured that to a good jeweler who deals with diamonds where the littlest details are money then these types of would be just as noticeable. It just makes the total effect of the diamond look rather askew.
I agree.

zach_xt

Rough_Rock
Definitely looks odd. I''d say almost anyone would notice right away, especially the setter. To me this is unacceptable.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try not to panic, contact your vendor and tell them the problem and they should be able to adjust the prongs quiet easily. Give your vendor first shot at making it right for you. I can't see that the cert has anything to do with it, older dated certs aren't uncommon. Is there a reason you think there might be a different diamond in there? This can happen sometimes that the finish isn't as good as it should be and isn't noticed at the time, no excuse I know, but it can happen if this helps. I am sure once you send it back and it is fixed it will be lovely!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2006 10:04:45 PM

I figured that to a good jeweler who deals with diamonds where the littlest details are money then these types of would be just as noticeable.

It could be just an optical illusion of mine, but ''dealing with diamonds'' and precise design do not seem to be connected in any way. Your story seems to fit that theory, unfortunately. It remains up to you to put together the best of both worlds - diamond and jewelry quality while it may be that each seller must choose one over the other.
7.gif

My 2c.

Lovely diamond though!
9.gif
You could always have it set anew - and if the return policy of the seller allows, it may work to just let them straighten up things. ''Bet they would not have expected either #1. a seemingly easy job to get wrong and #2. you to notice. Not that you have noticed... perhaps the seller would too. It happens...

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
It definitely looks skewey to me. In the first instance get it back to the vendor, the problem with it is very obvious and I''m sure they''ll be glad to put it right.

ak dia

Rough_Rock
do you think that it risked being chipped every time i get it reset? My sister asked me this question and i was wondering that myself. And it if it DOES get chipped, how do i know if they would not try not to hide it underneath the prong. Do you think that the GIA verification would spot that out even with the mounting on? Sorry if i sound a bit paranoid, but i would rather cover my ass now than AFTER the month return policy runs out.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2006 11:03:50 AM

do you think that it risked being chipped every time i get it reset?

I doubt any such accident can be identified after the stone is set. And a really bad crack would not be something possible to hide from anyone (you, as much as any). The good side of the mess is that such accidents are not totally impossible, but only a hair split above the null probability
2.gif

As far as I know, choosing the right jeweler for the job is the one and only safety measure for this...

And one more thing: from the picture is not very clear what the setting look like, but in general... a high setting would expose the diamond to damage at least as much as shoddy bench work. At least the jeweler had the look of the finished setting compromised, rather than risking damage the diamon; waving a high set diamond through a daily obstacle course is much less under control, IMO. I don't know if this setting is high, low, safe or not... just an idea along the lines of 'covering all bases while there is still time'.

ak dia

Rough_Rock
Is high setting. Do you guys recommend that i should just return the setting, get the diamond verified, and then get it set in a lower setting by a reliable jeweler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results