shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking To Sell a diamond tennis bracelet, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MM107

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, im new to this forum so i figured i would say whats up first. I have a 2.0 Ct Diamond Tennis Bracelett. I bought it for my Girlfriend Last year. I got it appraised at $4,000. Me and her are no longer together and im looking to sell the bracelett.

appraisal
http://img131.exs.cx/img131/7329/appraisal4zf.jpg

bracelet
http://img131.exs.cx/img131/5112/bracelet6yj.png

Now what should i expect the asking price to be around when i try to sell it off? I dont want to get ripped and i know not to expect the actual retail, so anyone have any suggestions i should start asking at? Thanks guys

I appreciate any info!

Color = I-K
Clarity I1-I2
Apprasial= $4,000

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MM107;

My friend, you are in a very problematic situation. 2 carats of the kind of diamonds described as in this bracelet are worth less than $200 in a second hand piece. The 10 karat gold is worth about $50. Now, one must ask, "How much would a dealer offer to buy this for for resale?" Unfortunately, I doubt you''ll find a dealer/buyer willing to pay more than the break up value.......$175 to $300 being the "range" and not to mislead you.
I think the appraisal is, shall we say, "INFLATED" sort of like a very large balloon ready to pop!!!! I doubt you can do anything about it, but probably you did pay a whole lot less than $4000. If you can get back 1/4 to 1/3 of what you actually paid, you are probably doing about what I would expect to happen. Toss the appraisal as used paper is worth exactly what that appraisal is worth, NOTHING!

Sorry to bring you bad news, but let it be a lesson to others about incredible appraisal values. If it is too good to be true, it probably isn''t true.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear MM

As David wrote - if the valuation is inflated... what about the grading?

Since the evaluation (gemological conclusions of the quality,etc) was performed while the stones were still set, the accuracy when examined loose might differ from the report.

While it certainly isn''t practicle to unset and reset the stones, to grade them a buyer would most like want to know the most accurate analysis possible. Perhaps unsetting several of the stones as a sampling and then resetting them. I think anyone considering this item ( or another one like this one) to buy would or should consider this.

Now how much did you actually pay for the item...Is the quality of the stones stated from the original seller on the receipt? Does it match? Was the gemologist appraiser using the standards for grading based on the GIA nomenclature? Did the seller provide the report when you bought it - or did you have it done separately from the seller?

Have you gotten any offers to buy yet?

Are the offers comparable to Dave''s posting of the item''s value?

Rockdoc

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
RockDoc, Your reply makes a great deal of sense on a more valuable purchase, but if the sale was based on J/K-I1-I2, how much worse could it be?

It would be quite hard to misrepresent such stones as lower colors or lower clarities would have little or to impact on value anyway. I am somewhat familiar with the AIG appraisal process and doubt the stones are misgraded, but even if they were, it would hardly make a difference in this sorry situation.

Pawn shop buyers, in bad neighborhoods here, pay $50 to $75 for these things, so I was trying to be very optimistic while still giving the guy some insight to value in liquidation. As we both often say to people, check it out during the time you are buying it so you will have the correct facts, just in case you do decide later you must sell it.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Dave....

I agree but I''ve seen tennis bracelets that are sold as J/K that are really S/T color. Most better but a few even a little worse. But more brownies or greyish ones, than stones with yellow color saturation

I am not familiar with AIG, so I''m not familiar with their accuracy in their reports.

It will be interesting if MM tells us a little more detail about the original transaction.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results