shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy Freshwater studs

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again! Hmm. My knowledge of these matters is quite limited, but I think I know what that little clip is for. Thanks for showing it! I will have to contemplate that if/when I buy the lavendar necklace from Wendy. I am also going to ask her to send me some additional pics if poss. Just having the one pic is far less than ideal.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
ckrickett|1446137727|3943458 said:
Have you thought about contacting PP and having them make a custom tin cup for you? They are super helpful and they created a tin cup for me

here is my tin cup Hisano made
tincup01.jpg

Wow! I ADORE that necklace! I must have missed your post above. I think that I will def. contact PP about custom. I will need something to be done in sterling, though, as I just don't have the bank to blow for WG. Thanks!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shortener would work like this (photo on PP):

https://www.pearlparadise.com/p-90-pearl-shortener-14k-gold.aspx

Really anything would do-- a barrette, a brooch (pin) even a safety pin. She would clasp it over the chain in front of one pearl on either side of the clasp. The shortener would be worn in back; the excess pearls would hang down the back.

Edit: That necklace on PP is really beautiful, isn't it?

Another person who does custom tin cups is Patricia Saab on Etsy, who is also a member of this forum. Here is a link to her Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSaabDesigns

She made one recently for another member of Pricescope. This was the thread about it: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/where-to-find-a-tin-cup.214945/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/where-to-find-a-tin-cup.214945/..[/URL]. I would think she could do one in sterling silver.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so very much for the explanation and for giving me Patricia's name. I believe that I will contact her now, after having read through the thread you posted!

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
I just heard back from Wendy. She said she will email me when she is back in the office. I think that I am leaning towards working with her. I think that her prices should be better than either Patricia or PP, as both will have to be custom (but I do have an email in to PP on it). I will be sure to post some more pics on this thread if Wendy happens to have any other pics for me. :dance: =)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a plan! :appl:

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure how to send a private message, but I have a pair of akoya studs I'd like to sell. They are 7 or 8 mm set in 14K yellow gold.

The downside would be they wouldn't match the necklace you plan on buying.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

I wasn't actively trying to sell them, but since Cherokee1979 was looking for an inexpensive preowned pair, and I don't wear them anymore, I thought I'd offer them.

They are cultured akoyas and a hair bigger than 7 mm and round. They are set in 14K gold. They cost me $90 thirty years ago. I haven't worn them in years, but they are still in perfect condition.

If you are interested, Cherokee1979, make me an offer.

img_2275.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I get it, but without putting your email or address here for all to see (obviously not a good idea) there is no way for him to private message you to arrange payment and shipping. That's what I meant. Hence the suggestion for Diamond Bistro.

Really it's too bad we can't message here as we can on the other pearl forum.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cherokee1979|1446134701|3943427 said:
"I don't know how I feel about pearls."

Ummmm, not to be a buzzkill here, but I would translate that to mean "I don't like pearls and please don't buy me any."

I would suggest that you try to buy her something that you can honestly imagine her wearing - maybe something similar to something she already has and loves, but a little bit different. Or something that she has always wanted but never splurged on (even if it doesn't seem traditionally romantic - DH's best gift to me was a fancy chef's knife because I had always wanted one but could never afford it - I was in grad school at the time). Maybe do a bit of snooping in terms of her favourite jewelry items, or get one of her girl friends to help you pick something out. The last thing you want your gift to say is "I don't really know you." Or worse "I want to change you."

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with CMD. I would suggest you get her two gifts -- a simple pair of lavender studs (since that's her favourite colour, and it's less conventional) and something non jewelry. If she wears the studs often, then you can get her a necklace (strand or tin cup) on another occasion. That way you get to get her something that's exciting for you and that she might love, and something you know for sure she will like.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your responses everyone. I just sent her a text to get her views Re pearls in general. This might ruin some of the surprise, but she def said that she would love a piece of jewelry in her fav color - purple. Since I want to get her something that is non-costume, it had seemed to me that a pearl station necklace in lavender might be the best way to do it within budget. ETA: Ok, this was her text reply: "If it is more modern [that is, a necklace] I'd probably like it. I just like stuff that is versatile. So if you think it would work with stuff you've seen me wear then go for it." She wears a good amount of black, and rather "dressy" casual wear (Loft blouses, trendy skirts, etc). She also works somewhere which requires her to get dressed up - so I don't think pearls given her professional and casual wear would be too "formal" looking - esp if a tin cup necklace.

If I do go the route of the tin cup (which I probably will), I heard back from Wendy at Pearlesence. She is very nice. She says they make all of their items in house- and they can do anything for me. She proposed the idea of a lavender pearl and amethyst tin cup, with rose gold vermeil chain. I really like that idea. I think that the amethyst would even "tone it down" some more, to make it look less dressy and be more versatile. I also love RG, and think she would as well. She is rather feminine, and I think that pink would be among her top favorite colors. I think pink and purple would look quite good together. I am going to ask Wendy if she has amethyst faceted disk beads. I think they look classier than amethyst sphere beads.

ETA: Wendy informs me that all of her pearl strand necklaces are knotted silk FWIW. I had posted above that one of hers might not have been knotted. The only reason I said that was because her listing of the white FW necklace I posted above did not specify knotted silk - whereas some of her other white FW necklaces, which were more expensive, did specify knotted.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavender pearl and faceted amethyst tin cup with rose gold sounds amazing! She is sure to get a lot of compliments. I hope you will post a photo of it when it's done (or after she receives it).

For versatility consider incorporating an extender as part of the necklace, so it will suit different necklines.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I plan to get her a non-jewelry gift as well, esp if Wendy can get something for me in my budget. I just really like the idea of getting her a matching set of necklace and studs, as it seems a more "complete" gift, and I do not think she has any sets. Also, FWIW, she and I have not been together for long - therefore, I am largely going to have to just go by the seat of my pants, with her assistance, of course.

ETA: I just got another text reply from her. I asked her about her thoughts re: lavender pearls and also studs in general. She says "Lol. Don't give it away, Jeff. That sounds nice. I was going to say something in a color would be nice. Studs are good."

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446212811|3943773 said:
Lavender pearl and faceted amethyst tin cup with rose gold sounds amazing! She is sure to get a lot of compliments. I hope you will post a photo of it when it's done (or after she receives it).

For versatility consider incorporating an extender as part of the necklace, so it will suit different necklines.

I am so happy to hear that you like that idea pearlsngems! Especially with how helpful you have been to me. I am sure that you also have very good taste, and female feedback is important to me. Oh, and I will DEFINITELY post pics here after I receive it!!

I will also ask Wendy to incorporate an extender. My GF has stated that versatility is quite important to her. I am not entirely sure what an extender is, though, so any guidance/pics in that regard would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks again! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
BWeaves|1446157389|3943629 said:
Thank you!

I wasn't actively trying to sell them, but since Cherokee1979 was looking for an inexpensive preowned pair, and I don't wear them anymore, I thought I'd offer them.

They are cultured akoyas and a hair bigger than 7 mm and round. They are set in 14K gold. They cost me $90 thirty years ago. I haven't worn them in years, but they are still in perfect condition.

If you are interested, Cherokee1979, make me an offer.

img_2275.jpg

Thank you very much for your post and offer BWeaves. They are gorgeous. But I think that with all of my GF's feedback I am going to go the route of lavender pearls. I personally love the classic look of white (and would LOVE akoya's - since they're usually out of budget for me), but I don't think that she is as into white. But just in the case of looking forward to a possible future gift, what kind of price range are you contemplating? Thanks!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
This all sounds very good! Just one think, if she really likes white metal, then I would still consider going with silver. It would also look very pretty with the purple/lavender of the pearls and amethyst, plus she may be able to combine it with her other jewelry (bracelets, other earrings, rings). However, I am sure rose gold colour will look very nice, too, and of course many people are happy to mix metal colours, but I find that white metal keeps it simpler, and may be something to consider as she's not used to wearing much jewelry.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Tucs! Ok, I just got a text back from her concerning RG vs. Sterling. She said that she loves RG, and was actually going to wear some faux RG today. She said she has no "real" RG. But I guess that vermeil could still count as "real." So it is a go with RG.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By extender I mean a bit of chain at the end where the clasp could be attached to any of the links, to lengthen or shorten the necklace as much as she wishes.

You'd need to have a lobster claw or spring ring clasp to do that (as opposed to a box clasp, a fishhook clasp or other typical pearl clasp.)

Here, I have a costume jewelry piece that has this sort of extender-- the little pearl at the end is a nice touch, and helps to hold the chain down when it's used in the shortened position.

necklace_with_extender.jpg

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446217384|3943806 said:
By extender I mean a bit of chain at the end where the clasp could be attached to any of the links, to lengthen or shorten the necklace as much as she wishes.

You'd need to have a lobster claw or spring ring clasp to do that (as opposed to a box clasp, a fishhook clasp or other typical pearl clasp.)

Thanks for the explanation. I will request that of Wendy. Hopefully she might be able to source one of those clasps in RG vermeil. I do not have the budget for solid RG. Speaking of which, I have been doing a bit of research re vermeil and price vs. sterling but cannot find anything. Do any of you know whether vermeil is any more expensive than just straight sterling?

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Cherokee1979|1446216183|3943799 said:
Thanks Tucs! Ok, I just got a text back from her concerning RG vs. Sterling. She said that she loves RG, and was actually going to wear some faux RG today. She said she has no "real" RG. But I guess that vermeil could still count as "real." So it is a go with RG.

Great then! I'm not sure if vermeil qualifies as "real" gold, as there is very little of it, but it certainly looks good.

Please remember to post a photo of the finished necklace! :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just added a photo to my previous post, Cherokee.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cherokee1979:

For my akoya studs, I was thinking of $70, plus whatever shipping costs are.

My two cents about lavender pearls and amethyst gems. I like purple gems with yellow gold. Yellow is opposite purple on the color wheel, so yellow gold really makes amethyst and lavender pearls pop. White gold and silver just sort of fades away into the background.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Tucs|1446217902|3943811 said:
Cherokee1979|1446216183|3943799 said:

Great then! I'm not sure if vermeil qualifies as "real" gold, as there is very little of it, but it certainly looks good.

Please remember to post a photo of the finished necklace! :)

Totally agree tucs. I think I was meaning "real" in comparison to costume. But I surely do not care about it being vermeil. Both silver and RG are precious metals, so that's all that matters to me (and to the recipient, I am sure). It does look good as well.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
BWeaves|1446218515|3943816 said:
Hi Cherokee1979:

For my akoya studs, I was thinking of $70, plus whatever shipping costs are.

My two cents about lavender pearls and amethyst gems. I like purple gems with yellow gold. Yellow is opposite purple on the color wheel, so yellow gold really makes amethyst and lavender pearls pop. White gold and silver just sort of fades away into the background.

Thanks for your reply Bweaves. Concerning the gold, my GF has said that she does not really like the look of YG, but loves RG. So I'm going to go RG vermeil.

And thanks for the update on the cost of the studs. I will definitely give it some thought. :)

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, sounds like you have found a perfect solution! I agree, a station necklace with lavender pearls, amethyst, and rose gold sounds beautiful. I would totally wear something like that (and I also work in an environment in which dressy business attire is expected). I'm looking forward to pictures so that maybe I can buy myself one!!!

An extender is simply a bit of chain at the back of the necklace with links in it that are large enough that the clasp can be set anywhere along the length. It usually works with a ring clasp. They are super handy because it means that you can individually tailor the necklace length to the neckline of the day, so your piece always looks perfect and put together. I have to admit that I wish I had them on all of my necklaces.

Buying gifts in the early stages of relationships is hard. But if pressed, I'll bet she would admit to feeling pleased that you are putting so much forethought and effort into her gift, even though it lessens the surprise.

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
pearlsngems|1446218063|3943813 said:
I just added a photo to my previous post, Cherokee.

Thanks for your pic pearlsngems! I have been searching on etsy for some RG vermeil clasps - in case wendy does not have any. They are super inexpensive. I could even source it myself and mail to her if nec (I posted a possibility below - super inexpensive). I like the idea of the pearl at the end of the extender. It is def a nice touch. I will ask Wendy to look at your pic to see if she might be able to incorporate a small lavender at the end (she informed me that she has read over this thread).

Only $1.50 and based in the UK like Wendy - I could have it shipped directly to her: https://www.etsy.com/listing/226431491/rose-gold-vermeil-carabiner-trigger?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rose%20gold%20vermeil%20clasp&ref=sr_gallery_12

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
cmd2014|1446218845|3943819 said:
Wow, sounds like you have found a perfect solution! I agree, a station necklace with lavender pearls, amethyst, and rose gold sounds beautiful. I would totally wear something like that (and I also work in an environment in which dressy business attire is expected). I'm looking forward to pictures so that maybe I can buy myself one!!!

An extender is simply a bit of chain at the back of the necklace with links in it that are large enough that the clasp can be set anywhere along the length. It usually works with a ring clasp. They are super handy because it means that you can individually tailor the necklace length to the neckline of the day, so your piece always looks perfect and put together. I have to admit that I wish I had them on all of my necklaces.

Buying gifts in the early stages of relationships is hard. But if pressed, I'll bet she would admit to feeling pleased that you are putting so much forethought and effort into her gift, even though it lessens the surprise.

Thanks cmd!! I am really quite pleased with the idea, and am so happy that Wendy suggested the idea of amethyst. Maybe it is even possible that since some of the stations will be the lesser expensive amethyst, this could help with the budget. I also had asked Wendy if she could make the gaps between the stations smaller than usual. What I meant is that since this will be not a long necklace, and comprised half of amethyst, it might look nice to have more than just 4 or so pearls on there. I would like the pearls to be the real highlight. Oh and I surely will post pics!! Surely. I had informed Wendy this as well. I get very excited about pieces and would love to show off her work!

Thanks for your feedback on the extender. I will surely ask Wendy if she can incorporate it. It sounds very helpful, and my GF has stressed how versatility is important to her. Oh, and she did say that she much appreciated how much research I am putting into her present. She is very sweet and appreciative, and I am a researcher and value shopper at heart, so it just makes me happy to do this. :)

Cherokee1979

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I have another question for you all if you do not mind helping. :)

I need to decide what type of amethyst beads to pair with the lavender FW pearls. These are in Wendy's stock (see links below). I kind of like the look of the 7mm briolettes. The teardrop shape looks graceful. They are also way less expensive for the strand than the rondelles. But Wendy had said that some people would probably not choose to pair briolettes with a station necklace. what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!! :)

Briolettes (7mm): http://www.gemescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/48_32_22/products_id/41

Rondelles (3.6mm): http://www.gemescence.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/48_32_22/products_id/43

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results