shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for reputable jeweler in Washington DC area to set stone for reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bp

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1 carat stone online and purchased the setting from a local B & M jeweler in the DC area. Because I didn''t buy the stone from them they are quoting me $350 to have the stone set. I called a couple other jewelers and the lowest quote I''ve gotten is so far is $270. Others have told me they need to view the stone and setting before giving me a quote. I feel like the quotes I got are overpriced, or is it just the norm since I didn''t buy the stone from them? I''m wondering what my options are and how much I should be paying. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
$350 to set your diamond into a mounting that this same store sold to you? Is this $350 in addition to what you paid for the mounting or was the mounting a part of the total $350 price?

If the response is $350 simply to set the diamond and polish the prongs, then it can be done for quite a bit less. If the mounting was included in the total $350 price for a complete ring, ready to wear, then you already made your deal and what are you asking about?

Once we see what the question actually is, maybe we can help.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Refusing to give a price without seeing the details of the job is an entirely reasonable procedure and, frankly, I would count this as a mark of credibility for the jeweler to make this requirement and I would shy away from anyone who would give an over-the-phone quote on this sort of job. I''m guessing that the jewelers will be happy to offer you a free estimate if you show it to them -so show it to them. I agree that $350 is a bit expensive for the typical job but there''s no way of knowing if what you have is a typical job without looking at it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

bp

Rough_Rock
Yes the same store that sold me the setting wants an additional $350 on top of what I already paid for the setting.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please tell me the style of setting.

The setting, 4 prongs, V prongs, multi-prongs, bezel ,tension, 6 prongs, etc????

What shape is the 1ct diamond, round or princess or some other fancy shape?

$350 does sound rather $$$ for setting a 1ct diamond.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d call Pete ar Quest. They are just outside of DC, in Dunn Loring VA. Worth a shot at least!!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a setting to reset my marquise in and they are charging me $20 as the setting fee. They have to take my marquise out of the setting and place it in the new setting I purchased from them. I didn''t originally buy my diamond there either.
I also got a similar quote from a B&M that was going to set my RB that I just bought from Wink. The cost of the setting plus a $20 setting fee. The setting wasn''t overly expensive either and they both will take responsibility for the stone if it breaks.
I think $350 is hefty but maybe I''m just lucky
2.gif

bp

Rough_Rock
Hi Small,

What jeweler(s) are you referring to? in the DC area?

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
bp, I would recommend Limon''s in Bethesda. it''s about 2 miles north of DC, and a few blocks from Charleston Alexander. I do not know how much they would charge but expect it to be "reasonable" rather than "exorbitant".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results