clarity

Looking For Engagment Diamond Ring in NYC

joebrooklyn

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1410062625|3746282 said:
joebrooklyn|1410057779|3746249 said:
Pyramid|1410040206|3746138 said:

I like it.

Joe, this is a sample image so we have no idea what that stone looks like. You just have to eliminate stones that don't have actual photos.

I suggest that you make an appointment with either Good Old Gold or ID Jewelry, tell them your budget, and ask them to find the biggest and best cut stones they can for $12,500. Then they will have a few for you to look at when you come.

You do need to be certain about what shape stone she wants. Don't veer off into fancy shapes if she wants a round. One reason rounds cost more is that they face up larger than a lot of other stones. They also are about the most brilliant when well cut.

Ok, will do.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1410039256|3746129 said:
Plus, you'll save sales tax! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Seriously!!!! Yes!!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Based on your budget I really think Yekutiel at ID Jewelery will be able to help you get your gia round diamond and also tell him you are a pricescope member and he will give you discount. Tell him you need biggest for your budget. Remember ID Jewelry is only open Mon to Fri closed on weekends.
Good luck!
P.S. you will also save tax with ID Jewelry. Talk to the owner Yekutiel.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, it sounds that seeing the stones in person is important to you so I second making appointments to see GOG or IDJewelry. You can make several cost saving measures while still getting a fantastic stone with a top cut. Stay with GIA and AGS certs. and do HCA calcs on any stone, consider only those with HCA under 2.5 (2 and under best).

1. Color I/J most likely for 2 ct. stone with $12.5k budget
2. Fluoro is your friend with near colorless stones (G-J)
3. VG on polish is ok
4. Depending on inclusion(s) type, an eye clean Si1/Si2 is budget friendly. Consider a near eye clean stone that's high color and size.
5. An H color is maybe possible if you go 60/60 type with a 1.7-1.8 ct, but it will still face up to nearly the same as 2ct.
6. a 60/60 stone that's 2ct. will face up even bigger
7. to get most bang for buck, probably won't get branded stones (WF, BGD, JA). Try more IDJ, B2C, Union Diamond, Ritani, Eternity by Yoni.

I really do think you will get what you want with your budget, so just stay the course. It might take a little extra work, but it will be worth the effort in the long run (and you will have such a nice ring to cherish after).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luvdajules|1410118388|3746568 said:
Hi OP, it sounds that seeing the stones in person is important to you so I second making appointments to see GOG or IDJewelry. You can make several cost saving measures while still getting a fantastic stone with a top cut. Stay with GIA and AGS certs. and do HCA calcs on any stone, consider only those with HCA under 2.5 (2 and under best).

1. Color I/J most likely for 2 ct. stone with $12.5k budget
2. Fluoro is your friend with near colorless stones (G-J)
3. VG on polish is ok
4. Depending on inclusion(s) type, an eye clean Si1/Si2 is budget friendly. Consider a near eye clean stone that's high color and size.
5. An H color is maybe possible if you go 60/60 type with a 1.7-1.8 ct, but it will still face up to nearly the same as 2ct.
6. a 60/60 stone that's 2ct. will face up even bigger
7. to get most bang for buck, probably won't get branded stones (WF, BGD, JA). Try more IDJ, B2C, Union Diamond, Ritani, Eternity by Yoni.

I really do think you will get what you want with your budget, so just stay the course. It might take a little extra work, but it will be worth the effort in the long run (and you will have such a nice ring to cherish after).

Good advice, luvdajules :appl: I think you can get close to an 8mm stone with your budget, but I/J is a must. Ritani will send a diamond to any vendor's store that carries the brand so that you can look at it in person -- pretty cool. Here's what I found...

Would need to make sure this is eye clean, but it's an I with faint fluoro, so that's good... and it's a 60/60 stone priced @ $11,226 (7.88 mm)
http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-79-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-39S5Q7

Let me know what you think!

nukezero

Rough_Rock
joebrooklyn|1410060497|3746269 said:
nukezero|1410059515|3746260 said:
$12,500 for a 2carat G SI1 with GIA is going to be like $20 grand. Due to the G color and carat. The only possible way is to go EGL and then you'll get close.

But seems like EGL is a poor certification company. So, best to go GIA or AGSL.

So what about a 1.6 ct to 1.8 ct? Still impossible?

A 1.6ct G SI1 starts at around $13,000 (lowest on pricescope) with excellent cut based on HCA calculations. But it may not necessarily be an "ideal" premium cut. It may just be GIA excellent. But you still have a few more ranges in GIA excellent such as ideal, hearts and arrow AGS 000. Not to mention, you still have to check polish, symmetry, and ASET for light leakage. So you see, it's more than just the four C's. If it's the cheapest one on the list, then there most likely something lower in quality about it. The industry doesn't seem to accidentally price it low.

Now if you do 1.5ct SI1 G color, then you should be good to go!

I second what other people say, is to drop the color. Because an near-excellent ideal cut is going to make up the color differences. Even Good Old Gold jonathan mentions that, he has seen that an IDEAL/premium well-cut I or J will look brighter than a excellent cut G or H. It was mentioned in one of those videos. So the point is, an ideal/premium well-cut I or J will be cheaper than a excellent cut G/H. Then if you want Ideal cut G or H, then you're going out of budget again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results