shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miggs

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

I am from Singapore and I am looking for an e-ring for my girl. My budget is fairly low around $2 - 2.5k. I am fairly green when it comes to diamonds so would appreciate some help from you folks!
emsmile.gif

I am looking for a Round Ideal Cut ring which is around .75 to .85 carat. I have found a few from WF but they are SI2 which are AGS graded like this one, this one fits my budget but I fear that with the SI2 grade the inclusion maybe noticable and oh yes it is I color may make it look lack lustre

I would of course prefer a SI1 or a VS1 with a G color or better but my budget may not allow for it. So please guys let the advice roll in.

Thanks
36.gif

Miggs

PS: we are taking a vacation to Paris, and I intend to propose to her there.

miggs

Rough_Rock
Anyone?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Miggs!

I think you've found a nice stone, if it's eye-clean. Only WF can tell you that for sure, so I'd give them a call. About the "I" color, it won't be lackluster at all. That stone you've found is an ideal cut and because it's ideal, it'll look extremely white. Trust me, I have an ideal cut "I" as well and it's super white. I was just admiring it in class today, wondering "how can it get whiter than this?"

If you really want to go colorless (or get to G), for your budget, you'd probably have to sacrifice size. It wouldn't be a huge size difference though, so you've got to decide what's more important. Here are a couple F-G color choices (in the .60+ ct range):

.63 G, VS1 ideal (1.1 on HCA)

This stone, if eye-clean, might be an excellent choice. Not only is it colorless (F), it's almost at your .75ct mark AND still in budget:

.72 F, SI2 ideal (0.7 on the HCA)

Hope this helps! Good luck on your decision.

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
I second EBree's comments and $2.5K isn't low! I started with a budget of $2,000 to $3,000 and ended up spending $2,895 but $1150 of that went on the setting. The stone was a 0.71ct Ideal round cut J VS2. If you're going for a simpler setting than I did there's no reason why you can't stay in budget and get an even larger / better stone.

rud5yb.jpg

miggs

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I can compromise on the carat size after all the the difference of 0.1 carat can''t really be seen. I guess that since that is now variable, will something that is SI1 be okay meaning eye clean. You mentioned that I will need to consult WF but, won''t they always say that it is eye clean?

And with color, D,E,F maybe is stretch for the budget and G maybe okay but will anything lower than that be noticable? And after surf in this forum I realise that cut is the paramount factor to consider when buying a rock.

Miggs.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cut IS the most important, you are correct. I think that you could go below G and still have a diamond look very white. An H...or even a very well cut J will still look very white unless compared to a whiter diamond. Standing alone well cut lower colors will face up white. There is even a K on the "show me the rings" section that looks pretty white to me.

Whiteflash is very trustworthy on this forem. I think that if you ask whiteflash and they tell you it''s eye clean, I would trust that. That being said, "eye clean" is subjective phrase and you might be able to see *something* depending on how good your eyesight is. However, if they say it''s eye clean, I''m willing to bet that it will look great.

miggs

Rough_Rock
Cool! You guys are great!!!

Ok we have sorted out my color issue, and if the cut is good, then the color will still appear white unless compared side by side with a color D. Roger.

So now the clarity. I understand that VS1 and above are good enough but with SI1 and SI2, it will really depend on whether it is eye clean. Does the cut influence this? My thinking is that if the cut is ideal wouldn''t the inclusions be more visible because the rock is clearer because light reflect upwards?

Also I have heard that some inclusions may result in the degradation of durability, this is new to me. My girl is very clumsy, but I would think that diamonds being the hardest thing on the planet it should be safe even in her hands
27.gif
. So what kinda inclusions should I avoid and how does a diamond become "un-durable"?

Miggs

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure about how the cut can influence the clarity and degregatings due to durability, someone else will have to talk about this. However, there is a thread out there right now that seems to state that clarity gradings seem to be more liberal as the stone gets larger. In other words, an SI might not have inclusions on a 1/3 carat diamond, but a 3 carat diamond might have visible inclusion from a VS1, crazy huh?

One thing I do know a little bit about is that diamonds can chip...even though they are very hard substances. Diamonds with sharp corners such as princess cut stones and diamonds with extremely thin girdles are more likely to chip than others. However, you don''t want to go with thick girdle either, because the stone will look smaller (try to stay around the thin - med thick range).

Also, the setting will influence how often a diamond might get chipped. Some settings are safer than others. For a princess stone, I would recommend having a setting where the prongs cover each corner of the stone completely...but since you are looking at rounds this isn''t as much of a problem. Also, if your girlfriend is particularly *clumsy* you might want to get a bezel setting (metal goes all the way around the diamond) or a setting where the diamond is set lower so she is less likely to bang it on things...but focus on the diamond first...setting second, unless you already have something in mind or a budget need or something. We can help you with the setting later.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Miggs welcome to PS
35.gif
Actually, it is generally agreed that a well cut diamond will hide inclusions more than a poorer cut, due to the effect of increased brilliance and a great cut is always the WTG. Regarding the clarity, many have completely clean SI diamonds, WF will be honest and advise you on each particular one. An I colour is a good choice to look white and get the max bang for the buck.

Regarding durability, diamonds may be a very hard substance regarding scratching, but they can be brittle and chip with a hard unlucky knock etc. A slightly thin to thick girdle is the ideal to aim for in a perfect world, but avoid thin, very thin or thick. With the setting a Tiffany style 6 prong is a safe choice to hold the stone securely and offer protection. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results