shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Blue Sapphire Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DanaReynolds

Rough_Rock
Hello Shealtiel and group;

Not to be a smart-tail or anything but most of those gems you showed photos of have a window or fisheye... If I was wanting a engagement ring that lasts forever I would want a properly cut gem??? They all look clean and good color saturation but they do not have the life a sapphire is supposed to have; most are trap cut / step cut pavilions and return very minimal life.
Not to try and rain on anyones parade but colored gems should be graded similar to diamond, color, cut, clarity, and carat weight. I guess we have been over-loaded with poorly cut colored gems so long we do not realize that colored gems need to have bling also.
Just my two cents gang; but being a cutter I notice everything about a gem and they do sacrifice bling for weight. sorry but I must tell it like it truly is.

Most Resepctfully and do not tend to insult anyone what-so-ever...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Dana, "respectfully", the examples you've touted (and yes, you ARE touting here), to my eye are horrible. Sorry, but that spiky overly "RB'd" look on a colored gen stone is a travesty in my book. No thanks. I also dont the cuts that Richard Homer does...same spiky look. To me, the beauty of a colored stone, and in particular, a blue sapphire, is that chunky faceted look. So you're "well cut/better cut" stone? It's all in the eye of the beholder and I definitely dont enjoy that look at all. No thanks.

ETA: Shealteil, I think you're on the right track with your search. Though I'd suggest you look at stones of Ceylon origin as they have such a gorgeous, velvety cornflower blue to royal blue tone (like the old Kashmiri sapphires, which to my eye are simply divine!).

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Just one other note. Have you ever seen "irradiated" diamonds? I noticed you said your gf liked blue-green gems. They have quite a lovely blue-green color (tealish), with the scintilation and luster of a white diamond. I normally am not for anything other than heat treatment in gems, but I make an exception for this. My mom has 1/3 ct irradiated blue that I have loved ever since I was litte. They are quite affordable too. 500 -1000 for 1/2ct -3/4ct I think. (this was a few years ago) Just a suggestion
1.gif

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
My moms is more saturated and with a slight hint more of green than the "blue" one pictured.

irradiateddiamonds.jpg

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Shealtiel... I have a sapphire in a simple solitaire setting. It is not my e-ring. But sometimes, I wear it as an e-ring. And I have received many compliments from friends and strangers who have noticed it! The stone is a Montana sapphire cut by Dan Stair at customgemstones.com. Dan is wonderful.

It is a 5mm sapphire which is on the modest side. But it will give you an idea of color and the look of a solitaire.

sapphsolII.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I think this is an older thread. I think he ended up buying the sapphire, but never came back to say how he set it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooo, Joolskie, this may be an older thread but I just had to pop in and say I love the color of your sapphire. It''s gorgeous!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results