shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for an ideal e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

novice_buyer

Rough_Rock
hi all -

i''m trying to find a diamond for my girlfriend that is truly brilliant. id sacrifice on carat for this.

i was envisioning either an eye-clean GSI1, or a HVS2.
i''ve heard awesome things about the community here and am hoping to find suggestions on where to get value for my money.
my budget right now is $8000 - $13000. ideally would like either ~1.4c or 1.6c (but trying to avoid the 1.5c rapp jump)

i had posted earlier with 2 stones i had been looking at earlier, but where i didnt like the cut (below).
thanks for the help!

#1 ($8,800)
Basic: 1.38c, FSI1
Measurements: 7.23 - 7.28 x 4.38
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 57.3%
Girdle: Very thin to thin (1.2%)
Culet: 0.4%
Poish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescence: None
Crown Ang: 34.8
Pav Ang: 41.2

#2 ($12,500)
Basic: 1.68c, HVS2
Measurements: 7.67 - 7.77 x 4.73
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 56.5%
Girdle: Thin - Med (1.3%)
Culet: 0.6%
Poish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Flourescence: None
Crown Ang: 35.1
Pav Ang: 41.2

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Hi Novice,

Saw your add on to to your other post here as well. Also, though I understand the concept of the "rapp jump" for diamonds just under 1.5, I''m not sure I get it for those just over. So, from that point of view, I''ll suggest two from two vendors on this board, in order of preference:

This one (with a Price scope discount you ask for of $12,150)
and this one, more closely fitting your specs.

Note also, both were found on the search by cut database here (above, under Prices, and here), and if you''re open to ordering on the net, you might want to check it out, and get familiar with it.

Regards,

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Where are you shopping? Have you seen these diamonds in person? I ran them through the HCA and they scored 3.3 and 3.6 respectively. No doubt their pav angles penalized them. The stones would be considered by some to be steep/deep. IMHO (and that''s what you''re asking for, right?!
2.gif
), you can do better.

Look for shallower angles, and a score on the HCA < 2.

And oh, one last thing. You have a very nice budget and should be able to find a KILLER stone. You''re on the right track with making CUT your priority. It is the CUT that determines sparkle. And if you think SIZE is important to your girl (and it is to most of us!), you could consider dropping down a little in color and clarity and put that money into size. I have a gorgeous AGS-0 2.36 J/SI2 that faces us as white as my old "G" did, and is totally, 100% eye-clean. I adore it, I got a bigger diamond, loads of sparkle, and I couldn''t be happier! Just a thought.

BTW, this is a photo of my (previous) 1.53 G next to my new J stone.

1.53g vs 2.367j.jpg

novice_buyer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting Lynn.

I have not seen these in person - they were referenced to me by a friend of a friend who is in the diamond business. based on what i''m hearing on this site, i wouldn''t pull the trigger on either until i saw it in person. Any thoughts on the prices being offered for those stones?

appreciate your thought on the trade off. i will definitely consider that, but have been hesitant to go with a SI1/SI2 in fear of the iflaw being on the table or the stones not being eyeclean since i have been looking at websites and not going to brick and mortar jewlers.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if you''re one of those diamond lovers who has a great eye for flaws or color but I really think that any stone you are serious about you should check it out in person. "Eye-clean" is such an openended term. I have an AGS Ideal H/VS2 and I love it! There are some flaws around the crown mainly feathers but you can''t see them unless you look from the side with a loupe. It is definetly eye-clean but I''ve seen diamonds advertised as such that have more apparent flaws.

To my eyes I could not see any difference between G-H but I could pick out the I''s in the lineup. But some eyes face up very white and they are great stones.

You have a great budget to work with and it might help to narrow down what matters to you the most; color, cut, clarity etc. What kind of certification do you want your diamond to have?

The two stones you have listed both were Very Good in Symmetry. For your money I''d look for some that are Excellant with a more shallow cut.

Cut is what makes or breaks a diamond. A well-cut diamond will sparkle and light up the room. It will also appear larger.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 11:12:48 AM
Author: novice_buyer
Thanks for posting Lynn.

I have not seen these in person - they were referenced to me by a friend of a friend who is in the diamond business. based on what i''m hearing on this site, i wouldn''t pull the trigger on either until i saw it in person. Any thoughts on the prices being offered for those stones?

appreciate your thought on the trade off. i will definitely consider that, but have been hesitant to go with a SI1/SI2 in fear of the iflaw being on the table or the stones not being eyeclean since i have been looking at websites and not going to brick and mortar jewlers.

Believe me, I understand! I was nervous when I was a newbie, too. That''s why I got a G/VS2 the first time. It was a nice, comfortable "safe zone" for me. But I have learned A LOT here the past year and a half and that knowledge enabled me to "rethink" some things and when I was looking to upgrade, consider stones that I hadn''t considered before.

PS is all about consumer knowledge and education. What you do with that knowledge, and the choices you make from it, are individual and entirely up to you. One thing I do want to tell you... the stones you look at here are not your average "mall stone" diamonds. The SI stones in the mall, with those big, dark, VERY noticeble inclusions... yikes! Enough to scare anyone off SI stones, for sure!

You''re looking online? That''s great! And you WILL get to"see" your stone before you buy. In several ways. First of all, pick a trusted, well-respected vendor. Ask him/her to pull the stone and look at it for you. Then if it still sounds good... you can have it shipped to either you or an appraiser so you can see it in person. Disappointed in any way for any reason? Return it. It''s really quite easy.

Honestly, I was a little nervous when I ordered my J/SI2. Although I had "seen" LOTS of killer J/SI stones here on PS, I had never seen an ideal cut one in person. It WAS a leap of faith. (But I knew I could return it if I didn''t like it). Well, I have never seen a more beautiful diamond! It is so "white" and so gorgeous. And totally eye-clean. Even to my 20 year old daughter under CLOSE scrutiny for a looong time! Not all SIs are created equal... that''s true. But some are amazing. And coupled with a "lower" color grade, (IMHO) they represent the very best diamond value out there. I was able to get a KILLER diamond that is almost 2.5 carats for less than $15K. I call that a DEAL any day of the week!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results