shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for an emerald cut tsavorite

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm finally looking to get my dream project underway. Initially I was going to go with an emerald, but after lurking around here I'm moving towards a tsavorite. Trouble is, I've no idea what I'm looking for in this gem-or most really! What I want is a 9x7 or thereabouts emerald cut tsav to be flanked by blue sapphire trillions set in 18k yellow. This has been my dream ring since I saw something like it as a teenager.

So, I know the idea is to set a budget and all, but this is in the very beginning stages and I'm just starting to poke my nose around. I guess what I'd ask initially is does anyone have a trusted and reputable source that they can recommend so I can have a reality check? Thank you so much for any help you can give.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swala have some http://www.swalagemtraders.com/search-gems/results.php

I don't know your budget but a 9x7 emerald cut Tsav is going to be around 3-4ct. So a high quality one will be fairly expensive.

A 7x5 will be around 1.5-2ct and you may be able to pick one up for under $1k.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also check with Roger Dery
http://www.spectralgems.net/A-garnet.html

Swala does have the more extensive collection of tsavorites to choose from, but make sure you ask lots of questions as it is difficult is somewhat pricey to return items to them.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
thank you. That gives me a starting point! I wouldn't mind doing 5x7 if it's the size I need to stay to get a really lovely stone. I'd prefer larger (of course!), but I'm not really interested in an inclusion-riddled rock so perhaps 5x7 is more the ballpark.

This is exciting. It means I may be able to do this sooner than I imagined. There's someone on PS with an unbelievable 3 stone tsav ring (tsav flanked by diamonds) that rocks my world. Switching from emerald to tsavorite is going to be a very good move, I think.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few cushions, not quite as large but give you an idea of price for good color, cut & quality.

1.6 ct 7.02 Cushion Brilliant $1200 Peter Torraca.jpg

Gemfix Cushion Barion 1.55 ct 7.1 x 6.5 $898.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay, I love projects! One of the things you want to keep in mind is finger coverage. Unless you are going for a really big look, and don't mind a ring that sits fairly high off your finger, you want to consider the width of your tsav middle stone, your two side stones, and any gold in between. If you do want a fairly sizeable tsav, then you won't have as much room for the sides, which means they'd be smaller. So think about the size ratio between the center and side stones in your mind and try to figure out what you like, as this will probably end up informing the size of the center stone.

While I have never bought a tsavorite from ebay, I see them all the time and have often thought that if I was in the market for one, that would be a good place to look. if you bought this way, I think you'd save $$. I'd be curious to know what others think about that. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Good luck!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
From what I have seen, you absolutely get what you pay for with tsavorites. I would be very wary about buying a tsav from eBay.

First you need to decide what shade of green you want. The most expensive colour is a medium - medium dark bright green that leans towards the blue with as little yellow as possible. The paler and more yellow the stone the cheaper they tend to be until you get to the 'Merelani Mints' which command a bit of a premium themselves.

To give you a rough ball park on prices...I have 4 tsavs all in top colour, all just under 1.5ct and the cheapest was $1.4k. The stones pictured above are around the same. A top colour 4-5ct stone is likely to be in 5 figures. (By top colour I mean the colour which the market will pay a premium for - otherwise top colour is the shade that you personally like!)

Emerald cut will reduce the number of stones available as it's not a cut often used for garnets, ovals and cushions are more common.

Harriet has some amazing tsavs - with any luck she'll see this thread.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, now having done a quick search on ebay (just searched my shortlist of trustworthy vendors), I'd second what Pandora said - there may be hundreds of tsavs there, but I found only a handful of emerald cuts. Here are links to the two "best" ones they currently have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230395516205&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2488wt_909

and much lighter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310213772587&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1018wt_1141

Swala will probably be your best bet.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Couple of comments on the above two stones:

1) This stone is cheap for it's size - my suspicion is that it is overly dark. I would want to see lots more photos taken in daylight.

2) IMHO this stone is a green grossular garnet not a tsavorite. Also a tad too dark to be a mint.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed. I provide them as a starting point and for sizing purposes...I would defer to your expertise, Pandora!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
thank you ladies. Definitely some good points to consider. I am looking for medium to dark for sure. I always feel badly about asking for extra shots (like I don't want to be a bother) but I've learned that it's better to deal with that discomfort upfront and not settle.

I'm hoping to have something to report back, and perhaps get some feedback on. Thank you!

hannaht

Rough_Rock
Hello Mrs. Taylor -

You might check Tsavorite USA on the internet. It is operated by Bruce Bridges who is the son of Campbell Bridges, the discoverer of Tsavorite. I purchased a round Tsavorite from Bruce about six months ago, and his knowledge of Tsavorites and vast inventory cannot be surpassed, in my opinion. I would recommend him without qualification.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
thanks-I'll *definitely* check it out.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mrs. Taylor,

Sorry I'm late. I don't know how I missed a tsavorite thread. Any news on your end?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
not quite! I'll be sure to post when there is!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You picked a toughie! :) Have you decided if like mediums or medium-darks?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I want the EXACT color of logan sapphire's. It's *perfect.* My jaw dropped when I saw it and it's what made me go from emerald to tsav. I hope she doesn't mind if I link it! Ahhhh the quest!

file-1.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would call that medium - Harriet would you agree?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1296528355|2838882 said:
I would call that medium - Harriet would you agree?

P,
I can't tell from the photograph, but the one from Gemrite looks to be a medium.

Mrs. Taylor,
Pandora's is a straight medium-dark.

Speaking of Tsavvy, where is she?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
that helps too since pandora's is *gorgeous.* So I guess medium dark it is.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out any candidate in daylight. As for tone, even though the medium-darks are considered to be more valuable, some people are happier with mediums (which is what counts). This is because the mediums are a constant bright green. In comparison, the medium-darks are a deeper green with flashes of brilliant green.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
thank you!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Mrs. Taylor, I'm happy you like my ring! But, I have to warn you that I actually have not had it confirmed as a tsavorite by an appraiser, so who knows what it really is. It was my 93 year old grandma's who had given it to my mom awhile ago. It was super, super scratched up and we all thought it was just some fake stone. I took it to my local jeweler just out of curiosity and he had it polished and told me it was a tsav. So...maybe it is, maybe it isn't...that's just what I was told though.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1296582320|2839485 said:
Mrs. Taylor, I'm happy you like my ring! But, I have to warn you that I actually have not had it confirmed as a tsavorite by an appraiser, so who knows what it really is. It was my 93 year old grandma's who had given it to my mom awhile ago. It was super, super scratched up and we all thought it was just some fake stone. I took it to my local jeweler just out of curiosity and he had it polished and told me it was a tsav. So...maybe it is, maybe it isn't...that's just what I was told though.

well, regardless of what it is, it is probably one of the most perfect rings I've ever seen! I LOVE it. To the depths of my soul love it. LOL. The proportions are exquisite, it looks amazing with that band...just perfect. I'd absolutely *love* see more photos if you ever had an opportunity! I'd also love to know what your ring size is along with the stone sizes! I read elsewhere though that you don't have that info on the stones. The ratio is just so amazing-I'm loosely guessing 9x7 center with 6x4 sides...but I'm not anywhere close to an expert! I'm trying to determine a few things on my work in progress and I admit I'm using yours as a model for the proportions. I just think it's super. You're a lucky lady!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The jeweler told me the weight, but I've forgotten it. My ring size is 3.75.

I was really surprised when the jeweler said tsavorite! I assume he's correct b/c the lapidary would've had to have known what it was to polish it, right? I had brought in another stone, which turned out to be a synthetic tourmaline. My grandma has a lot of very cocktail-ish fake stones, so like I said, we all assumed it was fake, esp b/c it was very scratched, almost to the point of being completely opaque. The facets don't look like a regular emerald cut either...it's like there are less facets than normal. I don't know anything about its quality either, or what a good tsav should look like.

Good luck building your ring! A new project is always exciting!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan - how old is the ring? That might give more clues.

I believe (but would have to look it up again) that Tsavorite was first found in 1967 but then wasn't mined until many years after that. Does that sound right for your grandma's ring or could her ring be older? If so, it may not be Tsav and could be something else for example a Chrome Diopside.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1296589037|2839616 said:
Logan - how old is the ring? That might give more clues.

I believe (but would have to look it up again) that Tsavorite was first found in 1967 but then wasn't mined until many years after that. Does that sound right for your grandma's ring or could her ring be older? If so, it may not be Tsav and could be something else for example a Chrome Diopside.

I honestly don't know how old the ring is. I know my mom had had it for awhile, but she doesn't remember when my gram gave it to her. I would ask my grandmother but she's in advanced stages of Alzheimer's. I can't for the life of me figure out how she would've ended up with a tsav...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results