shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for an appraiser in nyc... and no hassle chubb rep

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spacecadet

Rough_Rock
hi guys! finally got a ring from GOG
1.gif

and was wondering if i can get some recommendations
to a good appraiser in nyc who will take the time, explain
and use all the fancy tools that PSers talk about
1.gif

(i know there is a list of appraisers in the PS faq area,
but just wanted to hear from experiences... both good and bad)

...and if anyone knows of a chubb
rep in the area who will not hassle me with
getting a home and auto insurance and simply just
a stand alone ring policy- that would be great too!

thanks in advance!
-sc

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Surpisingly, there do not seem to be any highly recommended appraisers in the NYC Diamond District. I had two experiences and was not pleased.

You might consider having your ring sent to one of the highly regarded out of town appraisers if you really want to get a proper appraisal by someone with the equipment to do the job. Although if you bought your ring from GOG, I am sure you got a great deal on a beautiful stone and a lot of information.

You may just want an official appraisal for insurance purposes stating that this is the stone specified and the replacement value--not retail value because I am sure you got a good price. You should have the appraiser give you a value for an internet price plus a reasonable amount to take price increase in the future into account.I guess most appraisers can do this.

As to a Chubb insurer who will take a free standing policy without home insurance, I had difficulty finding one although perhaps others have been more successful. When I did finally find a Chubb agent who was willing to insure the ring alone, it cost twice the cost than if I added it to my homowner's policy. Perhaps others have had better experiences with Chubb.

I added my ring to my policy with Liberty Mutual. They do not have the same precise cash out deal as Chubb. But they were much cheaper and I was told that with all the information I provided on my ring, it was unlikely that they would replace it because it would be hard to duplicate. If they cannot satisfy you with a replacement, they will cash out without any great difficult as long as you have gven them enough information.

I am sure you have all this very specific information from GOG which you can file with an insurance company so that they are required to make you whole.

I even asked the Liberty Mutual representative what would happen if my stone broke and had to be recut. By the way, the cost through Liberty Mutual was less than half the cost of Chubb.

I was told that if it were just a minor chip that could be polished off, they would pay to have it done. But if there were significant size loss I had to be made whole either by a satisfactory replacement or cash out.
If you can find a Chubb agent who will take insuance on the ring, you might want to also check around with other insurnace agents who might be offering the same service at a much lower cost.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results