shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for advice on a stone and a setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tempdisj

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My budget for a diamond is about $1000, and I was wondering if this round stone would be a good choice:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1955261.htm
Price: $945.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.455
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium-Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 4.99-5.04X3.02

Also, do you think it would be worth it to go for a platinum solitare setting in this price range? Or would white gold be a more cost effective choice?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2006 6:09:43 AM
Author:tempdisj
Hi all,

My budget for a diamond is about $1000, and I was wondering if this round stone would be a good choice:

Sure. What not to like!
2.gif
Give size, there would be no color showing whatsoever, and the clarity grade is very safe. SI1 would have been safe to - and probably save a bit, but that is up to you.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to go for a platinum solitaire setting in this price range? Or would white gold be a more cost effective choice?

Platinum... For a simple setting (and half carat looks pretty darn great in them!)... I would go down with the clarity grade (expecting no visual difference) to fit it in, if anything.
My 2c
38.gif

Btw. Couldn't find any I/Si1, but there are two other diamonds of similar weight and price at WF: D/Si1($1006) and F/VS2 ($1005) and one J/Si1 above .5cts and slightly larger (5.2mm) for about the same price. These are not on thee them out of the 'A cut above' list, but with distinct arrow pattern and top light return on the IS and HCA...

I wonder if the respective $5 above 1000 didn't hid them away from your search results.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Lovely diamond! I''d go for white gold. Platinum is a bit over priced at the moment, IMO. I''m a bit of a magpie, so I like the fact that white gold stays shinier longer. After 25 yrs of marriage, my mother needed her 18k white gold e-ring re-tipped. Personally I think I''ll worry about it then.
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Nice choice on the stone! 1.1 on the HCA!
10.gif

I prefer platinum, but if budget doesn't allow, go with white gold. If you decide to go platinum, WF does have an extremely reasonable plat setting (depending on how much you want to spend):

Platinum Tiffany Style ($393)

tempdisj

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I think I may opt to spend less on the setting (white gold) and more on the diamond.

Which leads me to another question... Does Whiteflash actually have a white gold tiffany setting? After searching, the closest I could find was this-- http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong--Tiffany--Style---14k-Gold_609.htm

The Whiteflash website lists the "head" as white gold, but it says the "shank" is yellow gold. I can''t seem to find a tiffany solitare setting on their site that is all white gold.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results