shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a stone, pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sethcdavis

Rough_Rock
ok, i Don't know how this works but I'm looking for

1.00-1.50 ct
emerald cut
IF-SI2 clarity
D-I color
good or ideal cut
buget is $4,000.00

am I dreaming? If not, show me!

Thanks,
Clayton

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
1.22 I VS2 66% 63% GIA - no vg vg no 7.29x5.17x3.43 $3273 $3993*S whiteflash

hello:

staying in your budget this was the very best i could find on pricescope and personally i think this looks very promising...........

3 things to ask you:

1-have you decided which shape emerald cut you wnat? (what ratio--this a 1.4) This is a very classic longer rectangle.
2-if you arei interested, ask whiteflash to get you the sarin information for the other measrements and find out the crown height etc.
3-is your budget just for the stone ot for the whole thing--i searched for several colors with a minimum of vs2 to keep the clarity high as it should be in an EC...........

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
1.01 G VS2 65.7% 68% EGL thn-m gd gd ft 7.46x4.70x3.09 $3727 $3764 WHITEFLASH.com

Try using pricescope to search for diamonds between 3500-4000. For a good size and quality, I would recommend you to go for a stone that is F-H color, and VS2/SI1 clarity. If size is important, you will have to go for lower color and clarity, which I DO NOT recommend as emerald cut stones are not good at hiding lower color and clarity.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 9:36:40 AM
Author: kevinraja
1.01 G VS2 65.7% 68% EGL thn-m gd gd ft 7.46x4.70x3.09 $3727 $3764 WHITEFLASH.com

Try using pricescope to search for diamonds between 3500-4000. For a good size and quality, I would recommend you to go for a stone that is F-H color, and VS2/SI1 clarity. If size is important, you will have to go for lower color and clarity, which I DO NOT recommend as emerald cut stones are not good at hiding lower color and clarity.
kevinraja- you are right BUT i was trying to find a nive size stone with nice clarity------------I is actually still pretty white. Tiffany even sells I''s...........if you find one that might be a beautifully cut stone it might worth it to see how white it faces...

sethcdavis

Rough_Rock
so if size mattered that much to you, what woudl you give up first? color or clarity?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/23/2005 10
6.gif
6.gif
3 PM
Author: sethcdavis
so if size mattered that much to you, what woudl you give up first? color or clarity?
well both to a threshold--meaning a couple things: step cut stones show everything...so you want a really clean stone. Ive seen plenty of lower color stones that were magnificent b/c they were beautifully cut. i would want some of both. also there is an old maxim(? right word) that you dont want to pay a premium for one characteristic and then have something that really devalues it like, for example, an internally flawless K color stone. I think your main concern shoudl be solid qualities across the board that are complimentary---H or I color vs2, very well cut....................

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question for Window Shopper & Others.

It has been my impression that on an emerald cut that there are to many variables in getting a great looking diamond that you cannot really tell just by the numbers - and that you were better off going with one one of the better vendors who uses "expert selection" such as Good Old Gold, NiceIce, Whiteflash "Expert Selection" section, etc.

Am I wrong on this - or shoud Seth focus on suppliers like that?

Perry

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
VS2 is hard to see in an emerald cut.
Some SI1''s will be eye visible.
Emerald cuts show color worse than other cuts.
So try looking for G or H vS2 - or an SI1 that has several smaller marks dispersed thru the stone

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2005 5:47:17 AM
Author: perry
Question for Window Shopper & Others.

It has been my impression that on an emerald cut that there are to many variables in getting a great looking diamond that you cannot really tell just by the numbers - and that you were better off going with one one of the better vendors who uses ''expert selection'' such as Good Old Gold, NiceIce, Whiteflash ''Expert Selection'' section, etc.

Am I wrong on this - or shoud Seth focus on suppliers like that?

Perry
I bought from Dirt Cheap Diamonds who also divides by cut parameters.............the only vendor who actually utilizes anything beyond the cert is GOG, but they often have lower colors as well and overall very few stones on hand especially EC. you are right-the numbers alone dont guarantee BUT they do point you in the right direction.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Use the numbers (especially table%, depth%, crown height%) to bring your choices down to anywhere between 2-5. That should at least remove the real bad choices. Then focus on clarity details---location of inclusions. Finally, if you are lucky enough to look at the stone, then you cut it down to 1 based on what your eyes like.

IMO, numbers don''t lie. Many on this site will disagree with me here. But when I mean "numbers don''t lie," I assume that one has all the numbers on hand (table, depth, crown, pavilion, etc) and that they are in a good range. After all, light return is based on optics and geometry.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
A tad under size and over budget, but you can see check out all the specs and you know it will shine:

0.96 F VS2 for $4185

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results