shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a stone on a tight budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mb

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone-

I have learned a lot on this forum the past few days. However, the more I read, the more confused I am. I have a small budget and would like to buy my gf a very nice ring. My budget is between $2,500-$3,000. Please advise on the best stone that I can find for my tight budget. I am just afraid that she will not like the ring and will think the stone will be too small.

Thank you everyone!

Matt

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
(Presuming you might be looking for a round), if you ask WF to look at this one, and they describe this SI2 as being eye clean to your satisfaction, I'd consider asking them to slap a bow on it, and call it a day.

See below my signature for strategies, otherwise.

Best regards,

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I don''t confuse you more with my reply. Do you know what shape of diamond she would like? Most people like round brilliants, but there are many people out there like me that love the fancy shapes, like princess, ovals, pears, marquise, radiants, emeralds, to name a few. If you don''t know what she likes, a round brilliant is a good fallback since most people like them. Does your budget include the setting? If so, I would spend most of the money on the diamond, and get a relatively cheap solitaire setting.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Does this $2500-$3000.00 budget (which is a nice budget, by the way!) include the cost for the setting? If not, I completely agree with Ira. That diamond is gorgeous, but leaves hardly anything to buy a setting with. If you do need to buy a setting, how about something like this?

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/round-ideal-cut-cut-diamond-1948526.htm

with one of these settings?

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/X-Prong-in-18k-White-Gold_767.htm

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4504&catid=7&filter_id=0&nav1=settings_channel.asp&page=1&col=1&row=2&pos=4&set_shape=

Does she like pink? This might be fun!
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5093&catid=93&filter_id=0&nav1=settings_channel.asp&page=1&col=1&row=2&pos=4&set_shape=

Just some ideas. A .75 carat diamond isn't small at all! She'll love whatever you give her, if you've put thought and love into it.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
DON''T FORGET
There is a PriceScope discount. Make sure that if you are dealing with WF you tell them the you are a PS member.
With that discount, I think you might be ale to have them put that ACA H SI2 (Which looks fantastic) in a solitaire setting for you and still stay under $3000
I''m sure she will love it.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2005 12:28:03 PM
Author: coda72
I hope I don''t confuse you more with my reply. Do you know what shape of diamond she would like? Most people like round brilliants, but there are many people out there like me that love the fancy shapes, like princess, ovals, pears, marquise, radiants, emeralds, to name a few. If you don''t know what she likes, a round brilliant is a good fallback since most people like them. Does your budget include the setting? If so, I would spend most of the money on the diamond, and get a relatively cheap solitaire setting.
Good point, Coda. What are your priorites, MB? A budget of $2500 to $3000 is not small IMO. So, first you need to find out what shape SHE likes. If you are trying to get a bigger stone for your $$, some of the fancy shapes might be something to consider. Would trading up be a possibility in the future? If so, make sure the vendor has a good policy (WF stands out in my head as having one of the best).

I''d definitely spend your money on the the stone and get a simple setting. The setting can easily be changed as finances permit.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Matt,

Coda and Diamonlil are absolutely right, and so, I''ve modified my answer above to say..."presuming you are looking for a round." I presumed this, and although I may be a dunderhead, I''d do it again, and DiamondLil introduces a nice solution if you''re wrong...trade up to a different shape.

For me, I''d not been diamond shopping with my now-wife, and got no feedback from her, and so possessed no insight about her preferred shape. She wore no rings, and I did not want to pre-empt my shopping with the query about shapes that I believe she never considered.

BTW, to my friends here, my wife told me two weeks ago to buy her no more jewelery. Usually I get her trinkets more than diamonds. But, she just had a birthday, and despite her request for purses (I got her this, too) or electronic gadgets, I still had the earrings and necklace left over from the gem show many of us DCers went to this past summer. I gave her the set that caught the eye of both Buena Girl and I, and she rescinded her request. Sorry to wander

Best of wishes,

E B

Ideal_Rock
In this particular case, I'm going to have to go against the popular opinion regarding putting most of the money into the stone and getting a cheap setting.

In the case of choosing between, say, a 1.0 and a 1.5 and a cheap setting or an expensive setting, I'm completely with spending more on the stone. However, in the case of, say, a .76 vs. a .80 (and several hundred dollars), if the cuts are both ideal and the colors comparable, I'm going to have to go with choosing the slightly "lighter" (visibly undetectable!) diamond and putting the remaining few hundred towards a beautiful setting.

I think together, the diamond and the setting make a huge statement, and if the budget isn't huge to begin with (but still very nice), you'll want your girlfriend to love not just the stone, but the entire ring if an upgrade isn't in the near future.

Just my .02
9.gif

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2005 4:06:35 PM
Author: EBree
However, in the case of, say, a .76 vs. a .80 (and several hundred dollars), if the cuts are both ideal and the colors comparable, I''m going to have to go with choosing the slightly ''lighter'' (visibly undetectable!) diamond and putting the remaining few hundred towards a beautiful setting.

I agree with EBree here.
I am in the definite minority on PS but the e-ring I gave my fiancee breaks down to 32% of the money spent on the setting and 68% on the stone. In my case I was admittedly not out to maximize size as we''re in Canada and her 0.57 is of slightly above average size as it is.
Anyway, I think the money spent on the Vatche setting makes a big difference in the overall package since the quality is very apparent. As EBree said, the visible difference in stone size needed to buy a nice setting will hardly be visible.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results