shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a solitaire necklace similar to Hearts on Fire for my wife >>

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beady

Rough_Rock
Hello all, first post here.

I made the "mistake" of purchasing a Hearts on Fire engagement ring and 5-stone band for my wife. Now, other diamonds seem dull and plain in comparison, lol.

We had our first child 5 months ago, and she''s a wonderful mom and I''d like to buy her a diamond solitaire necklace for Christmas to show my appreciation for all she does.

I was hoping to find something in the .5 carat size for about $1500, but I guess I forgot how much the wedding rings were (when I priced a Hearts on Fire solitaire today)!

What I''m hoping for is guidance on finding some other diamonds that are "close" to the HoF, but without the price. I really love the colors that the HoF diamonds throw off when they sparkle. In a store with a lot of point source lights overhead her rings are just unbelieveable, and I''d like for the stone in her necklace to come close to that effect. The setting needs to be white gold (she does not wear regular gold), and the stone does not have to be super flawless, just eye-clean and colorless enough that it won''t look colored against a white gold setting. I''m not an expert, but I think I should be looking for an "ideal" or better cut stone?

I want a minimalist setting; maybe a nice 3-prong setting on a thin chain so that you notice the stone, not the setting.

I''m willing to go down on the size of the stone, as long as I can keep the fire and colors in the sparkle.

Thank you for any assisance,

Mike

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have the perfect solution for you. Whiteflash has AMAZING solitaire settings and stones. You can either pick your own ACA stone (same as HOF but much much cheaper because there is no "branding") and have it set in one of their settings, or you can just pick a Ready, Set, to Go pendant which will be gorgeous. And it will fit nicely in your budget.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/-Martini---Three-Prong-Pendant--READY-SET-TO-GO_1086.htm

PS: They also offer a Pricescope discount on their loose ACA stones...I don't know about their RSG necklaces, but it's worth a mention if you order just in case!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Mike!

I completely agree with NeatFreak, what she suggests would be a great way to get a superbly cut and performing pendant! The ACA means A Cut Above which is Whiteflash's own brand hearts and arrows cut, or with the RSG, these are Ready Set to Go, which use an Expert Selection diamond. The ES are again fantastic cut diamonds which have often just missed fulfilling the strict criteria for an ACA by a whisker. You could go either way and get a stunning pendant for your wife.

And what a nice Husband you are too!
emrose.gif

beady

Rough_Rock
Thanks NeatFreak and Lorelei, that gives me a lot to look at and read.

Do the AcA diamonds have the colored "firey" flashes like the HoF stones? As that is what I am really after.

Also, what is the Pricescope discount, and how do I apply it to an order from their website?

Thanks again,

Mike

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The excellently cut WF diamonds will display a good mix of fire and brilliance, some here actively seek out what we call Firey Ideal Cuts to get extra fire. Generally a smaller table is preferred and a steep crown angle is needed, along with a pavillion angle of no more than 40.6 if I remember rightly for a FIC....The good folks at WF may be able to source you a nice firey diamond, I am not that familiar with the HoF brand, but I can say if you bought either an ACA or ES from WF you will end up with one of the best cut diamonds in the world. Your WF rep can give you a good idea of a diamond's personality and help you choose one with a good amount of fire.

To get the Pricescope discount, I am fairly sure you need to pay by bank wire transfer in order to get it, I don't know if the discount applies to preset items and or loose diamonds - the good folk at WF will be able to advise you, or perhaps JQ is on the boards and will see this and advise..

beady

Rough_Rock

Thanks Lorelei, I''ll do some searching on firey ideal cuts to learn more before I call WF.

Mike

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 1:22:51 PM
Author: beady
Thanks NeatFreak and Lorelei, that gives me a lot to look at and read.

Do the AcA diamonds have the colored ''firey'' flashes like the HoF stones? As that is what I am really after.

Also, what is the Pricescope discount, and how do I apply it to an order from their website?

Thanks again,

Mike
Yes, they do. Any really excellent cut stone will.
28.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 1:31:54 PM
Author: Lorelei
The excellently cut WF diamonds will display a good mix of fire and brilliance, some here actively seek out what we call Firey Ideal Cuts to get extra fire. Generally a smaller table is preferred and a steep crown angle is needed, along with a pavillion angle of no more than 40.6 if I remember rightly for a FIC....The good folks at WF may be able to source you a nice firey diamond, I am not that familiar with the HoF brand, but I can say if you bought either an ACA or ES from WF you will end up with one of the best cut diamonds in the world. Your WF rep can give you a good idea of a diamond''s personality and help you choose one with a good amount of fire.

To get the Pricescope discount, I am fairly sure you need to pay by bank wire transfer in order to get it, I don''t know if the discount applies to preset items and or loose diamonds - the good folk at WF will be able to advise you, or perhaps JQ is on the boards and will see this and advise..
Lorelei - would a diamond with a table of 54.5% and a pavilion of 40.7 be of the more fiery type or would the table need to be smaller? Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2007 2:02:08 PM
Author: MC

The excellently cut WF diamonds will display a good mix of fire and brilliance, some here actively seek out what we call Firey Ideal Cuts to get extra fire. Generally a smaller table is preferred and a steep crown angle is needed, along with a pavillion angle of no more than 40.6 if I remember rightly for a FIC....The good folks at WF may be able to source you a nice firey diamond, I am not that familiar with the HoF brand, but I can say if you bought either an ACA or ES from WF you will end up with one of the best cut diamonds in the world. Your WF rep can give you a good idea of a diamond''s personality and help you choose one with a good amount of fire.

To get the Pricescope discount, I am fairly sure you need to pay by bank wire transfer in order to get it, I don''t know if the discount applies to preset items and or loose diamonds - the good folk at WF will be able to advise you, or perhaps JQ is on the boards and will see this and advise..
Lorelei - would a diamond with a table of 54.5% and a pavilion of 40.7 be of the more fiery type or would the table need to be smaller? Thanks.

MC, I have copied this from an old post of Garry''s for you which should be helpful, depending on the crown angle, it looks like it could be close to FIC range.

FIC Firey Ideal Cut Crown angle should be more than 35.5°
A small table also helps.

But the stone must still have <2.0 HCA score which means the stone MUST have a shallow pavilio - near 40 degrees - no more than 40.6.

it will apear to have twice as many facets as an old cut (even though there are the same #)
HCA and Ideal-scope developer

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have a beautiful AGS-0 2.36 H&A RB diamond. We were on a cruise once and on the last day of the cruise one of our tablemates said, "Well, I have been looking at it all week... so where'd you get that gorgeous HoF diamond?!" He was a HoF jeweler and he was AMAZED when I told him it wasn't a HoF stone. I honestly think he thought I was lying to him -- although, um, hello, why would I lie about that?! Well, anyway, he proceeded to scrutinize it and said it was one of the most beautiful diamonds he had ever seen.

Moral of the story -- find a killer cut (H&A) diamond (branded/unbranded/whatever!) -- and you will find the sparkle you are looking for!
30.gif

beady

Rough_Rock
Lynn, would you mind sharing the cut angles of your stone(s)? I''m trying to "get a feel" for the numbers I should be looking for.

If you don''t want to post, but still wouldn''t mind sharing, could you please email me at "my 91 z at hot mail dot com" removing the spaces?

Thank you,

Mike

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 10:28:39 AM
Author: beady
Lynn, would you mind sharing the cut angles of your stone(s)? I'm trying to 'get a feel' for the numbers I should be looking for.

If you don't want to post, but still wouldn't mind sharing, could you please email me at 'my 91 z at hot mail dot com' removing the spaces?

Thank you,

Mike
Hi Mike! I am literally out the door for a vacation and will be gone about 9 days (WITHOUT my laptop! YIKES! It will feel so... 20th century!
1.gif
), so anyway -- I almost missed your question!
23.gif

But here's a thread with the stats of my diamond, as well as a link for another thread with a LOT of photos. Hope this helps!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/first-post-and-final-questions-on-rb-vatche-x-prong.73037/

Lynn

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 3:12:12 PM

Date: 11/27/2007 2:02:08 PM
Author: MC

The excellently cut WF diamonds will display a good mix of fire and brilliance, some here actively seek out what we call Firey Ideal Cuts to get extra fire. Generally a smaller table is preferred and a steep crown angle is needed, along with a pavillion angle of no more than 40.6 if I remember rightly for a FIC....The good folks at WF may be able to source you a nice firey diamond, I am not that familiar with the HoF brand, but I can say if you bought either an ACA or ES from WF you will end up with one of the best cut diamonds in the world. Your WF rep can give you a good idea of a diamond's personality and help you choose one with a good amount of fire.

To get the Pricescope discount, I am fairly sure you need to pay by bank wire transfer in order to get it, I don't know if the discount applies to preset items and or loose diamonds - the good folk at WF will be able to advise you, or perhaps JQ is on the boards and will see this and advise..

MC, I have copied his from an old post of Garry's for you which should be helpful, depending on the crown angle, it looks like it could be close to FIC range.

FIC Firey Ideal Cut Crown angle should be more than 35.5°
A small table also helps.

But the stone must still have 2.0 HCA score which means the stone MUST have a shallow pavilio - near 40 degrees - no more than 40.6.

it will apear to have twice as many facets as an old cut (even though there are the same #)
HCA and Ideal-scope developer

With respect to M'lady Lorelei, if you're looking for a HOF/ACA appearance those proportions may not be what you're after. Pavilions closer to 40.0 create a look that I would encourage a client to see - and know what he/she is seeing - before springing.

You've mentioned that you like diamonds like HOF produces. The classification that ACA, HOF, Infinity and similar H&A diamonds sold by cut-focused PS sellers often fall into (what we call near-Tolkowsky) already has a smaller table/higher crown than many commercially cut diamonds. This results in a greater balance of fire already; one of the most positive things people have to say about such diamonds. It's not the only configuration that can be beautiful but it sounds like it matches what you're seeking.

A shortcut that often works when seeking premium fire in ideal/superideal round makes is looking for crown height in the 15-16% range. For example, most ACA will be 15.X%. Similar near-Tolk makes will be similar. That's in-line with what you have described.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.234 ct ACA that is set in a HOF four stone setting--with a five stone matching wedding ring. It is a beautiful diamond and performs like a HOF. I was helped by the good folks at WF in picking out my ACA. I have other HOF jewelry. If you do choose an ACA, I believe you will get just the type of performance and beauty you are describing--without the HOF prices
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results