shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a purple stone, suggestions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I am torn between a rhodolite garnet or an amythest. I think I''m really looking for a deep purple stone, but I love malayas as well. Anyone have suggestions?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Do you have pictures to look at with what you are going between? that might help. Also is this for a ring, pendant etc?

I''m still new at this but I think rhodolite garnets have pink tones so you are getting anyone from teh amythest with more blue or grey tones---once agian i could be completely wrong with that! For me personally if you want to stay true to a deep purple I would go with the Amythest. I''m a fan of the Siberian Amythest with the red flashes. I just got a 6ct one and it is stunning!

Goodluck with your choice. Either way I''m sure it will be beautiful!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the design, desired size, shape, your budget, your style etc. For instance if you''d like a 5 ct stone with a super deep color and have a 100$ budget, that pretty much rules out rhodolites. You could also consider purple sapphires, which are similar to amethysts in color, but more brilliant and lively. It also depends on your prefered shade of purple - amethysts are more of a violet color (more blue, just like many purple sapphires), while rhodolites are more red, on the burgundy side of things. Any shape you have in mind? That is a factor also, cause some stones are more often cut in certain shapes.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Also purple spinel - I just purchased this one:

You could ask Gene if he has any more rough?
Ditto ma re - could we have an indication of budget, shape, size, intended wear etc?

PG spinel AJ.JPG

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Here are three from Gemrite.com that I was considering a while ago. The one on the left is a sapphire, the others are spinels

1.gif

gemritecollage.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you got the spinel btw AJ, have you received it yet? I''m really curious about purple spinel so I hope you take lots of pictures
16.gif

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 11:49:15 PM
Author:szh07
I am torn between a rhodolite garnet or an amythest. I think I''m really looking for a deep purple stone, but I love malayas as well. Anyone have suggestions?
here is a pic of tourmaline, african...

m1z.JPG

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
There are quite a few gems in deep purple -- the obvious ones like amethyst, sapphire, spinel and (sometimes) rhodolite garnet. But also less obvious ones like fluorite, sugilite and charoite. A lot depends on what kind of jewelry you want to make and whether you want a faceted stone or a cabochon, are looking to maximize brilliance or color, etc. I''ve seen some purple color change sapphires that are stunning and a bit of out of the ordinary, and practical for almost any kind of jewelry. You can probably find them in the deep purple as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your options vary according to the purpose of the stone (ring, pendant, earrings), how often you plan to wear it (softness and durability comes into play here), size & cost.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I bought a gorgeous purple spinel from Barry recently. You could see if he has anymore rough. I also had him cut me a deep purple amethyst awhile back that is beautiful.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''ve gotten some great suggestions. If you want the deep purple color go for the Amythest. For durability and everyday wear go for the spinels and sapphires.

Rhodalite garnets are a purpleish red. The red is def. there. As long as you like that color it''s a good choice for an easy wearing piece of jewelry like a pendant or a ring you won''t wear every day.

Ah Arjunajane! I had my eye on that. It looks like a very dark purple. Congrats!

Date: 9/22/2009 4:57:14 AM
Author: arjunajane
Also purple spinel - I just purchased this one:

You could ask Gene if he has any more rough?
Ditto ma re - could we have an indication of budget, shape, size, intended wear etc?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 6:21:11 AM
Author: mariedtiger
I'm so glad you got the spinel btw AJ, have you received it yet? I'm really curious about purple spinel so I hope you take lots of pictures
16.gif

Hi Marie - ha ha, typical for us to like the same stone
2.gif

tbh, I have really crushed on this spinel since Gene posted it, and couldn't
understand why it didn't sell.
I asked Gene about it, and he said the same thing (and rate's it very highly).
I know it's a lil exxy for the size, but I decided to go for it.
lol, I only bought it today woman! A couple weeks at least until pics, promise.

Thanks Stone Hunter - I really dig the colour and cut. I hope it will be a winner in person. I'm thinking it will look similar to LIB's "grape jelly" ring.

szh07, my sincere apologies for the threadjack
40.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m late to this! I see you have plumped for Gene''s stone, very nice AJ.

I saw your first thread and remembered that I had seen a bunch of purple spinel on Lisa Elser''s site. I did a little montage for you. It''s all eye candy right, I''ll post the pic anyway. Perhaps you can get some earrings to match!

Lisa Elsa purple spinels.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I really should have known to be more specific...I''d like a plumy deep purple stone for a simple 18k yellow gold solitaire ring, potentially a lotus. I just love the regal-ness of the color purple, and actually got the idea after reading Gailey''s post on the "What colors look best in yellow gold?" thread. I think purple is a feminine, yet powerful color. Later on, or if I can afford it now, I might like to match the ring with a set of simple studs (if they''re rounds, think plum martini''s). As far as shape goes, I''ve always loved cushions and ovals, but love asshers and rounds as well. Size and budget, both small
8.gif
. I''m think under about $150 and size can really be anything. My last gemstone purchase was .29 carats! Anything above that would be very exciting. Chrono, Ma Re, and AJ, I hope that sheds a little light on my initial, very vague question.

Barcelona- Do you have threads on your purple gems?
31.gif

Gailey- Thank you so much for the picture montage! I''ve actually never visited Lisa Elser''s site; I''m always happy to see check out new sites.

Mariedtiger, Flygirl, and Gailey, and Arjunajane, I think you all have captured the color I am looking for. I love the plumy-slightly pinkish deep purple color.

Sarahbear- I think Siberian color amethysts are the amethysts that come closest to the look I love.

AJ- Hehe, not a threadjack at all. Your spinel is beautiful!

Stonehunter- Purplish red is exactly what I was imagining, you hit it on the nail.

Are rhodolites or amethysts more durable? Presumably, I would get more ''sparkle factor'' with a garnet?

Thank you so much everybody!
4.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for narrowing it down a bit more, szh07. Now I'm thinking that this Royal Rhodolite from Art Cut Gems might float your boat. Link The color is awesome, and this particular stone is precision cut. But Rick has many more stones this color in various sizes. Great price, too.

ACGemsRRhod2010.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl- That rhodolite is beautiful! I really like Rick''s garnets; I''m looking through them at the moment, and he seems to have many in the exact shade I am looking for, and he even has pairs for potential studs. I''ve also attached a similarly colored sapphire from Jeff White. What do you think?

SAP003.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 2:20:49 PM
Author: szh07
Flygirl- That rhodolite is beautiful! I really like Rick's garnets; I'm looking through them at the moment, and he seems to have many in the exact shade I am looking for, and he even has pairs for potential studs. I've also attached a similarly colored sapphire from Jeff White. What do you think?
I think the sapphire will be a lot redder than those garnets. It probably just misses being called a ruby. BTW, in case you haven't see it, here is the link to my Royal Rhodolite suite. Link

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Rhodalite you posted (and all Rhodalites for that matter) has alot more PURPLE in it than that Sapphire will.

So if you love the Purpleish Red then I think that Sapphire will be too red.

I''m not a lover of RED so take my comments with a grain of salt!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This is a separate question, but it seems silly to start two threads within a day of each...Does anyone know of a vendor or cutter that sells extremely small gems? I have a setting the needs a 3.5mm round center stone, and I''ve noticed most of the precision cutters don''t sell gems that small. I''m assuming its because it would take them the same amount of time and effort to facet a smaller stone as a larger one. Gemselect, Africagems and Vallejo seem to be the only sources I can find for small calibrated gems.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/22/2009 5:35:46 PM
This is a separate question, but it seems silly to start two threads within a day of each...Does anyone know of a vendor or cutter that sells extremely small gems? I have a setting the needs a 3.5mm round center stone, and I''ve noticed most of the precision cutters don''t sell gems that small. I''m assuming its because it would take them the same amount of time and effort to facet a smaller stone as a larger one. Gemselect, Africagems and Vallejo seem to be the only sources I can find for small calibrated gems.

Hmm....I put up that same question awhile ago, and didn''t get much. But than Berry started putting up a bunch of small stones. But they were all in the 4.5 mm range. I would e-mail him to see if he has anything. Does it have to be a particular shape?

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I vote for an amethyst, but I might be biased- I just ordered an amethyst from Gary at diamond expert (who is so so so nice). I asked for a pic of a couple in order to choose. I am trying to upload the pic he sent me (hope he doesn''t mind), lets see how it goes. I have ordered the smaller cushion.

AM4PksWindowNaturalLight2.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''re after a reddish-purple, plum color, your best bet are probably rhodolites and spinels. Amethysts are rarely distinctively reddish and sapphires in that color could be quite pricey. And yes, rhodolites would be a bit more durable than amethysts.

The 3.5 mm settings that you''re talking about - not all gem varieties are cut in such small sizes, and most of those that are, are materials with higher R. I. like sapphires, rubies, garnets, spinels, zircons etc. Such stones are more likely to look interesting even in small sizes, due to higher brilliance. If you''d like something that would have a nice color even in such small sizes, I''d think about tsavorites, sapphires or something like that (cause very few stones maintain a rich color as size decreases).

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This is not as deep as I was originally imagining, but what do you guys think? Its a untreated sapphire.

sapphire-gem-87h211497a.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
szh, I think I may have the perfect stone for you - its just under budget, a spinel
and a gorgeous purple pink colour (plus a great cut). I''ve seen a second photo and I can vouch for this stone.

Actually, I''m surprised nobody has found it yet..I was "saving it" for myself,
but seeing as I bought that one from Gene, I can''t be greedy.
2.gif

I''m worried about lurkers..pls be quick if you want it!!!

link

Once you say if you like it, I can post the other pic..

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
This is wayyy more pink than purple, and is a sapphire/ruby. Its also over my budget, but I''ve had my eye on it for a while and was really happy with the emerald I purchased from Gene.

pl_663_thumbnail_1.png

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
AJ- That spinel is beautiful!
30.gif
Wow! The color reminds me a little of Yingh''s Umba sapphire, which I have always loved. Oh man, I''m going to have to do some serious thinking tonight!
26.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 2:14:41 PM
AJ- That spinel is beautiful!
30.gif
Wow! The color reminds me a little of Yingh''s Umba sapphire, which I have always loved. Oh man, I''m going to have to do some serious thinking tonight!
26.gif

The colour is great, and I have a smaller oval of his so know the cutting is good.
I would be quick though, as the price is very good - my purple spinel is a titch smaller and twice the $ !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results