shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a lapidary...how do i find one...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rparker1998

Shiny_Rock
I have some 3 carat facet grade rough rhodolite garnets i''d be interested in getting cut. I am in Jax FL, and am looking for someone local if possible, or if not someone who isn''t going to charge me a ton of money, as I didn''t pay much for the rough and it''s probably not the greatest quality. Any suggestions on what the average cost would be to have rough cut? Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I am not mistaken, Dana of Mastercutgems and Dan Stair of CustomGemstones both are open to cutting rough material sourced by the customer.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/30/2010 9:35:18 PM
Author:rparker1998
I have some 3 carat facet grade rough rhodolite garnets i''d be interested in getting cut.

This is some really small rough. The typical weight return after cutting a piece of rough is maybe 30%....if the cutter is lucky, good and the rough is clean and well shaped. Rough which has inclusions or is strangely shaped gets a smaller weight return. This means that 2/3 or more of your rough gets turned into dust during the cutting process, leaving you with a stone that will most likely weigh under 1 carat. This size of rhodolite as a finished gem costs about $50 if you use Stuller''s retail list and they''re high. Having this cut would cost at least $60 per stone and then you''ve got shipping etc. If the rough is not just absolutely top notch I would suggest saving your money and buying a stone that''s already cut. If you have a sentimental attachment to these stones and really want them cut at a low cost I would suggest trying to find a local lapidary club and see if they have any members who are faceters. Often hobbiests will do this sort of work for a very small amount.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 10:15:27 PM
Author: Michael_E

Date: 1/30/2010 9:35:18 PM
Author:rparker1998
I have some 3 carat facet grade rough rhodolite garnets i''d be interested in getting cut.

This is some really small rough. The typical weight return after cutting a piece of rough is maybe 30%....if the cutter is lucky, good and the rough is clean and well shaped. Rough which has inclusions or is strangely shaped gets a smaller weight return. This means that 2/3 or more of your rough gets turned into dust during the cutting process, leaving you with a stone that will most likely weigh under 1 carat. This size of rhodolite as a finished gem costs about $50 if you use Stuller''s retail list and they''re high. Having this cut would cost at least $60 per stone and then you''ve got shipping etc. If the rough is not just absolutely top notch I would suggest saving your money and buying a stone that''s already cut. If you have a sentimental attachment to these stones and really want them cut at a low cost I would suggest trying to find a local lapidary club and see if they have any members who are faceters. Often hobbiests will do this sort of work for a very small amount.
I agree.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is small rough; maybe if shaped well will yield a 1 carat gem??? And for most cutters it should be a very fine and expensive piece of rough or as said earlier a sentimental piece of rough as the cost will not be cheap. For an example the cutter charges 75 to 100 to cut the gem; if it is amethyst and not from a special location, or one your child dug up on their first digging expedition; the cost of the one carat amethyst would be extremely high for that job; now if it was an untreated ruby of good quality you would come out fine. I hope that makes sense...

I am backlogged for the next year in cutting for others per their rough or large windowed gems to be re-cut.
I normally do not cut other peoples rough; but I will re-cut, remove chips etc. as those are rather fast jobs.
Thank you Chrono for mentioning me; but at this time I am swamped...

Most respectfully;

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.bobkast.com

He cuts other people''s rough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results