carat
color
clarity

Looking for a durable apatite alternative

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I've realized that I love the color of apatite...especially when it is a pool blue like this one 9629283_1m.jpg

I can't afford a pariba tourmaline, so I'm wondering if there are any other colored stones that have this color. I've read that apatite shouldn't be put in jewelry because it is so soft. Does natural zircon ever have this color, or is there another CS option out there that is more affordable than tourmaline that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think zircon is probably your best bet.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Yea I think that blue zircon is your best bet to get close to that color with a little more durability. Zircon tends to be prone to chipping though, so its not the best choice if going for a ring stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could look at irradiated diamonds. Moreblue than real, but might work

ring_on_fing_0.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irradiated diamonds are a great idea as well.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your help, everyone! It would be for a ring, so maybe zircon isn't a good choice. Irridated diamonds are a great idea!

Thanks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
zircon probably isn't good if you're hard on your rings. If you're not , then you're fine with zircon. I don't loupe my rings after each wearing, but I also don't wear them for anything more than basic going out type stuff. (no ditch digging here...lol)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue topaz; cheap, plentiful and durable enough for a ring stone.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1435578417|3896195 said:
Blue topaz; cheap, plentiful and durable enough for a ring stone.

:doh: Can't believe I didn't think of blue topaz, lol. Not sure if I've seen it as neon as apatite before though.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - if you'd be okay with irradiated diamonds, then perhaps you're okay with irradiated topaz - there are a couple of flavors, but maybe the "Swiss Blue Topaz" variety comes closest to the color in your inspiration photo - and the nicer stones do have quite a pop though not neon (but I don't think most Apatite is really neon either)... just my two cents.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Chrono! I didn't think of topaz, but can't imagine why I didn't before now haha.

I was just looking around, and I like the swiss blue, but I think my favorite is the "electric blue" color. I think someone on PS just had a stone cut in that color, and it looks great. Not quite as neon as apatite, but has the bright "pop" that I'm looking for.

I appreciate all the advice!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1435587971|3896247 said:
OP - if you'd be okay with irradiated diamonds, then perhaps you're okay with irradiated topaz - there are a couple of flavors, but maybe the "Swiss Blue Topaz" variety comes closest to the color in your inspiration photo - and the nicer stones do have quite a pop though not neon (but I don't think most Apatite is really neon either)... just my two cents.

Thanks for the info! I will look into both the Swiss Blue and the Electric blue I saw on PS. I am okay with irridated stones in general--I care more about the color than about the treatment of them in the end :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry haven't read the above so don't know if I'm repeating but ...........

Blue zircon is very very very soft and so not everybody will set it. It's a great colour though.

Topaz is of course another option (Swiss blue not London blue) and you'll get a much bigger stone for your money.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results