shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a decent deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

turdferguson

Rough_Rock
I''ve ben lurking for a while and trying to learn as much as possible, but what are yall''s opinion on this stone? I''m really looking for 1.00 or better and this is the top of my budget for the stone.

$3,978.00
Report GIA
Shape Round
Carat Weight 1.00
Measurements Length-to-Width 6.59 x 6.57 x 3.76

Proportions
Depth 57.1
Table 61
Girdle M-STK
Culet S

Finish
Polish VG
Symmetry EX
Clarity Grade SI1
Color Grade H
Fluorescence NON
This is from diamond.com so also your recomendations for this vendor would be great. Thanks!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ferguson,

Welcome.

Suggestions: read the tutorial here, review the focus here on cut, and see you''re missing some info for us to provide substantive feedback. Although the one you post has better color and clarity then this one, I''d tend to suggest that option, for example, found here, over yours, based on at least having the additional info presented. See below my signature for more general shopping suggestions from me.

Best wishes,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Principally missing, crown & pavilion angle information. This page in the tutorial may help to carry the punchline for you.

Do read the tutorial.

Regards,

turdferguson

Rough_Rock
Got it! I guess I''ll either call and ask if they have that information(assuming they will being it''s a GIA cert.) or the search will continue. Based on your experience, have you seen decent 1 carat stones for under 4K?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can get that info if they run a sarin...

you can certainly find a nice stone just under the 1ct. mark for around 4k. 1ct. carries a hefty premium.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
TF- you might want to try this stone, and make sure to ask if it is eye-clean (or even almost eye-clean, since you really seem to want to hit that 1 ct mark)

if eye-clean, it''s a steal at ~$3500 http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_031ct_j_i1_h&a.htm

The stone you posted is just too shallow for me personally.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear TF

I looked at the link you posted. But as Ira said you need the crown and pavilion details, but also you should review the actual report which they do not post on that site.

SI is a broad range of various inclusions as to placement, size, and type. GIA reports do list the inclusions that were observed. As such there are SI''s that are better than others, but I would think a seller should post the actual certificate on their websites.

Another consideration is if the report has any "comments" on it. Some comments have little bearing on the quality of the stone, other types are more significant.

If they won''t provide a copy of the actual certificate, I''d suggest you find someone else who will.

Rockdoc

EZ

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/8/2005 7:31:49 PM
Author: belle
you can get that info if they run a sarin...

you can certainly find a nice stone just under the 1ct. mark for around 4k. 1ct. carries a hefty premium.
Tell me about it! About a $4K pramium in my case.

turdferguson

Rough_Rock
(Icekid)This does seem like a good deal but my lack of experience tells me that although "J" color is still in the near colorless category, it will still have a yellow tint to it. I haven't seen many diamonds in my time to know if I'm right or wrong. What I do know is, I have a diamond that was given to me (which has no cert with it) put on a ring that my GF loved and because the stone was a bad color if you will, it looked more yellow then if you just looked at the stone alone. I tried convincing her of a ring style other then antique but it's going to be her ring and just deserves whatever she wants.

The one carat isn't a must, but it seems like it's my magical number. My budget of $4K is what I have cash so unless I go local and finance, this is what I have to work with.

Thanks for all the help, and I hope all my technical talk doesn't scare you away.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
There's a number of options called AGS0 (ostensibly well cut) on the quick search database you might want to consider, with about 4 coming from WF. You might consider using the shopping strategy reviewed this one in at $3958 based on their wire price, and getting their opinion on its comparison to the one I linked for you above, costing $4057 based on their wire price (also mentioning Pricescope for both of these).

(edited to add...) oops, that option probably has its cert at Abazias, and comes up with a 3.2 on the HCA, if I read it right. You may want to check the others, but they will be Js, too.

Regards,

icekid

Ideal_Rock
TF- Only you and your gf will know if you are comfortable w/ J color. However, to get close to one ct you''re going to have to go with a more colorless stone. If you can go closer to .75 ct, then you should be able to find a more colorless stone in your budget.

Try this thread about J Color Stones in Platinum . It shows you just how great a well-cut (the important part!!) J can look. Stones that are cut well tend to hide their body color well, as opposed to a J at a mall store than may actually look slightly yellow. In a well cut stone it will look more warm, rather than yellow. If you decide to try an I or J stone, you can always return it if you end up being uncomfortable with the color.

The most important thing though is getting a great quality cut stone. It will also make your stone look bigger because it will be much more sparkly than the average stone.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results