shape
carat
color
clarity

LOOKING FOR A CUSHION CUT, I NEED YOU HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone! I am in the process of looking for a cushion cut diamond. The ultimate goal is to have it set in a Tiffany Style Legacy setting. I am looking to spend approximately between $7,000 and $10,000 on the stone itself. I am definitely a novice when it comes to looking at diamonds. From what I have gathered so far, is that I should not go below G color and SI1 clarity. I should also try to obtain a diamond with and ideal, very good or good cut. But my questions have to do with depth/table ratio. What should I look for here? Also, when it comes to symmetry, what am I looking for? Should a diamond have fluorescence? If so, how much? Also, what does it mean when they say the diamond has an extra facet? What is the difference between the modern cut and other types of cuts out there? I would love to get a hold of a diamond that ranges between 1.3-2.0 ct. if possible. If anyone can help me with the specifics of this type of diamond, please let me know. Also, if anyone knows of a good website or retailers please let me know! Thanks for all of your help!
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I just love me some cushions!!! :)

First of all, who says you can't go below a G? (I agree, but that's just me)... Perhaps you and your girl are not color sensitive. I would at least go look at some lower colors!

Second, cushions need to be seen. There are just so many out there! Do you like an antique look? A more modern look?

I just responded to another post about the modern cushion...here is the link...(oops, never mind, that was you LOL)
Nice ice writes this about the mods: "Our cushion cut diamonds are produced to the highest standards and have been graded by the GIA Gem Trade Laboratory (GIA-GTL) as having Excellent Polish & Symmetry which is the highest rating available from GIA Laboratory for these characteristics and is quite difficult to achieve!" And here is what the cert will look like.

This is what DBOF writes: Some of the cushion cuts of the past were more like old mine cuts. This is the modern version. These are cut with a high degree of precision and balance of proportions that gives them a mesmerizing attractivness.
The faceting pattern is much like a round but more elongated

BUT, not only the modern cushions are beautiful! Do you like bigger flashes or do you like the scintillation and fire of round stones more? (I liken the modern to the sparkle of a round)

As for the depth, go with the flow. If it's really high, your stone may look small. If it's too low, your cut may be off. I like mid 60s so I don't get a small stone for the carat weight. As for table, no way to tell. But it's not a bad start to look for table less than depth. But that's no guarantee. You need to see the stones and work with a good vendor. Mods are expensive too. Just a thought. I insist on at least VG symmetry, but I would absolutely look at a stone with good (if I wasn't only looking for a modern). Flourescence, unless it's strong blue, is nothing to think about. Not an issue. If you have a colorless stone in the D E F range, maybe even lower, and you have strong blue, you'll need to see the stone to make sure it's not cloudy or milky. In fact, if I was going G or lower, I'd LOVE some!!! May help to make the stone look whiter face up.

FIND A GOOD VENDOR!!!! THAT MAKES EVERYTHING EASY!!! :)

edited: Didin't realize that you had that other post here. You should just bump that one up instead.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
cert

postcert.jpg

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
What is a sewer pipe and open hole cutlet?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Sewer pipe! LOL. That just means the stone has a very large culet. Some people actually like the look that you see with a lot of antique cuts

Check out this page and you can see the open culet on that one stone.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/cushion.htm

Note that the top (main) pic is a modern cushion. But the facet pattern is not shown for that one and the tutorial doesn't go through that. But there is a link to them at the TOP of the page. Also note that they are NOT the H&A square cushions e/t they look the same on the cert.

Ohh, there's a delicious 1.5 E Vs2 on there! You'll see that that's more expensive than other cushions that are not "modern"...But you may think more traditional cushion cuts are just as if not more pretty! Check em out!

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
Is a cutlet an actual hole through the diamond?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
No hole.

The culet area is where pavilion facets meet at the bottom (point) of the diamond. Ideally, the facets merge smoothly so that the culet will be described as 'none, pointed, very small or small. With a 'medium' or larger culet, a tangible flat area ('open hole') at the bottom of the point exists.

It is possible for light to escape or 'leak' there.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2005 4:27:02 PM
Author: TimothyLYork
Is a cutlet an actual hole through the diamond?
no, it is the bottom of the diamond where the facets meet. usually, you want to find a diamond that has a ''small'' or ''pointed'' culet, to minimize light leakage.

diamondanatomy.jpg

TimothyLYork

Rough_Rock
Is a modern cut more rectangular or square?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results