shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for 1.3-1.5 ct Octillion diamond

cbohm

Rough_Rock
We are looking to upgrade my current ER to a 1.3 to 1.5 octillion cut, and are having a horrible time finding one! Really want to stay with this cut as my anniversary and wedding bands are both that cut and really want them to match. Any suggestions? Zales carried this cut a few years back, but no longer carries them. Any help is really appreciated!

mogster

Shiny_Rock
My suggestion would be to contact Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. He was able to help someone here procure an Ashoka so he might know where to find an octillion. Hope that helps! :wavey:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, we have never heard of that, so I would love to see a picture!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Christina,
An octillion is/was (geez, I'm not sure if it still is or not) Zales' signature cut.

I believe these posters would like to "upgrade" their original engagement rings that were also octillions. I would recommend (as an octillion and ACA owner) they upgrade to an ideal cut round rather than an octillion. Octillions are nice and bright but lack scintillation. These ladies would be blown away by the performance of an ideal cut after wearing their octillions.

ETA: I posted some pictures of my octillion a few years back.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
hmr_mama|1339202189|3212194 said:
Christina,
An octillion is/was (geez, I'm not sure if it still is or not) Zales' signature cut.

I believe these posters would like to "upgrade" their original engagement rings that were also octillions. I would recommend (as an octillion and ACA owner) they upgrade to an ideal cut round rather than an octillion. Octillions are nice and bright but lack scintillation. These ladies would be blown away by the performance of an ideal cut after wearing their octillions.

thanks hmr mama! I did a google search after I posted and I believe you are correct it was a Zales cut that isn't being cut any longer.

cbohn I agree with hmr mamas' suggestion above. It may be very difficult to you find this cut now, but there are many other octillion shaped cuts available now that may appeal to you, all of them are very beautifully cut. If you'd like we can post some links for you.

cbohm

Rough_Rock
I would love some links to other octillion diamonds. I have attached a pic of my current ring with wedding and anniversary bands. I would look into another cut, but would be worried about it matching the other rings. What do you guys think? ring_65.jpg

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, after looking at the photo you posted, I actually had to strain to see that it was an octillion and not a round brilliant in your engagement ring. I think a RB would look fine if you can't find an octillion, which as others have said, don't seem to be cut anymore, at least not much!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
hhmm, yes I see what you mean now, and why hmr mama suggested a round instead of one of the other more traditional clipped corner cuts. At first glance your stone looks to more round until you get a better look at it. This could be a bit trickier, but I'll post you a few that I was initially thinking of. I did a google search and it looks like you may be able to find some on ebay or craigslist but they were older listings and maybe no longer available. ERD that was suggested earlier may be able to locate one for you, but since it's not being cut and hasn't been cut in awhile, who knows??? :confused: Let me get those links for you anyway. just a sec

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Christina,

wow hmr mama, that was a HUGE upgrade! :love: do you still have your octillian?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1339206401|3212252 said:
Christina...|1339206127|3212246 said:

Wow good work!

:lol: thanks...sudden burst of energy! PSers love a challenge!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

cbohm

Rough_Rock
I have no idea! I was just looking at the paperwork that came with the ring when my husband purchased it from Zales. I did see another one on Ebay that was a 1.10 with an SI1...? Really frustrated because I really want it to match the diamonds in the band!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, EGL makes it difficult because of the inconsistency in their grading, even within it's own labs. So even if your ering has been graded an H SI1 by EGL it still may not match with another EGL H SI1. :(sad We typically advice people to stay away from EGL for this and other reason, but because this particular cut was a Zales exclusive, it's likely that EGL graded them all? :?: The good news is the seller has a 30 day money back guarantee, the bad news is, that based on his feedback, he has really lousy communication skills. You would be protected by ebays buyer protection though and if you really want an exact match this may be the best option for you. I would contact him and get some more information and see how is response is and keep looking in the meantime.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
cbohm|1339210401|3212296 said:
I have no idea! I was just looking at the paperwork that came with the ring when my husband purchased it from Zales. I did see another one on Ebay that was a 1.10 with an SI1...? Really frustrated because I really want it to match the diamonds in the band!

did your ring not come with a lab report? I wonder if you have enough information to contact zales to see if they have record of the transaction and could maybe tell you if it was lab graded..

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1339210969|3212306 said:

did your ring not come with a lab report? I wonder if you have enough information to contact zales to see if they have record of the transaction and could maybe tell you if it was lab graded..

If not, I'm with you, Christina, as far as what you posted above that if Zales is the only place that sold them, and the ones on eBay are EGL, then I'd imagine the OP's is EGL too. I feel for you, OP, in that this cut isn't offered anymore but you still want to match, but I have a hard time advising someone to "upgrade" to a stone that is lesser in color and clarity than what they have already, especially by EGL standards.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1339211356|3212311 said:
Christina...|1339210969|3212306 said:

If not, I'm with you, Christina, as far as what you posted above that if Zales is the only place that sold them, and the ones on eBay are EGL, then I'd imagine the OP's is EGL too. I feel for you, OP, in that this cut isn't offered anymore but you still want to match, but I have a hard time advising someone to "upgrade" to a stone that is lesser in color and clarity than what they have already, especially by EGL standards.

yep, I completely agree. I think that this may not be a quick painless journey for you, and I hate to see you take the road of least resistance and end up unhappy with the result. What size is your center stone now? Have you considered a different diamond shape that would accentuate the bands. By not being so matchy matchy you could really set off the uniqueness of the octillion cut. For example a round would really play up the corners of the octillion kwim? Or an emerald cut has a more enlongated body but still has clipped corners, same for a radiant, I think that any of these would really help play up the diamonds in your band. I think I may have an example of how different shaped diamonds can be really aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Let me take a look really quick.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Heres an example of a cushion solitaire with an emerald cut wedding band. Not two cuts that I would ordinary put together, but it works and it makes each ring the star instead of the two rings blending into each other. One doesn't overpower the other kwim?

wedding band eternity.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly think a round diamond would look better than anything else with your bands. The stones in the bands really look round anyway, and I am not sure the engagement ring diamond really needs to be an octillion to look right, personally. A stone with great light performance like an ideal cut round is going to have more visual impact, more than likely.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I still have it! I'm pretty sentimental about it.

OP--I'm with the other posters--the ebay stone might be your best bet if you're set on sticking with the octillion. Maybe if I take some pictures of my ACA and octillion side by side I could convince you to upgrade to an ideal cut! :bigsmile:

Christina...|1339206277|3212249 said:
Christina,

wow hmr mama, that was a HUGE upgrade! :love: do you still have your octillian?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
The octillion cut is simply a round brilliant with 80-plus facets. Traditional round brilliants have 57 facets. So a Star 129 or a Solifsera would be similar to an Octillion, but better cut and better grading. What is your budget for the trade up? And will Zales give you anything on a trade-in of your current stone toward a GIA Excellent graded round?

cbohm

Rough_Rock
I would love to see a picture side by side! It's nice to know there is another option!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I will take a few photos if the sun ever decides to show up here. It was 42 and raining today! Brrrrr!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to have misplaced my ACA (it's around here somewhere). I hope these help you see the difference and similarities between your octillion and a round(s). From a distance it really is hard to tell the difference. I hope you keep us updated on what you decide to do!

oct1.jpg

oct2.jpg

octillion vs round 010.JPG

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
cbohm|1339259496|3212551 said:
I would love to see a picture side by side! It's nice to know there is another option!

I don't believe that your stone is the same same as a star129. The ebay stone you posted and the pics that hmr mama posted (yours were more difficult to see) show that the stone has a distinct octagonal shape to it and the star 128 and solisfera are round, so it's not going to be the same as the stone you currently have. sorry, wish it could be that easy for you. :(sad Have you had any luck locating something?

cbohm

Rough_Rock
Update: Still looking!

Found one, selling on Ebay - Octillion cut, H, SI-1 1.33 ct - just what I was looking for! HOwever,they are selling it with 2 anniversary bands, I really don't need those - and would have no idea where to start on trying to sell them myself. The whole thing starts at $6500. So, at this point, I am trying to see if the seller will split the rings and just sell me the engagement ring. Sigh...

Am also looking into ideal cut rounds. Any good places you would recommend?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results