shape
carat
color
clarity

looking at rounds (not radiants)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akameme

Rough_Rock
hi again,
hoping some folks are still willing to answer some more questions.

I''ve now decided to see what I can find in the round family. I saw some radiants that were nice, but ultimately, I think it''s best if I go with rounds, which seem to have the most fire.

Now, my question is clarity and color.

After viewing three radiants (e, g, h) where I could clearly see the color difference, I''d like to try and stay in the colorless range (f is fine).

On clarity, I would prefer to stay in vs2 or vs1, but I really know that is primarily in my head.

While looking, I found a 1.19 F color, si1, ideal cut (agsl rated 0)
depth is 62.1
table is 54%

I don''t have the other specs at the moment...any thoughts?

I''m trying to get as close to 1.25 carats as budget will allow - in looking at rounds, do you think a G might work with better clarity?

Thanks.
Miriam

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akameme:

While the numbers you list indicate a possibility.... We can't tell based only on those numbers.

The tradeoff of Color and clarity is one that we all have to make. I have no problems if you want to stay with D-F and VS1/VS2: Others on this forum will often argue that you can do much better price wise with the lessor colors and clarity. But this is your diamond and you should be able to choose what you want.

I think your choice of Round Brilliant diamonds is and excellent one and you will have the largest selection to choose from.

You have 3 ways of doing this:

1) you can take your time and learn how to sort diamonds on the various sites (weeks to months on this forum).

2) you can buy from a vendor who only stocks the best of the best (Good Old Gold, NiceIce) or stick with namebrand lines with some other vendors (Whiteflash "A Cut Above," Superbcert, etc).

3) you can post your budget and specifications and ask for help.

Please note that there are no real deals out there (except sometimes in the consignment section of seveal vendors). If your budget will not properely finance a 1.25 Carat F VS2 RB with a good cut (you did mention that you wanted brillance and fire - didn't you); then you may have to make some more compromises on what you will accept (i.e., 1.125 Carat, G color, etc).

Best of luck with this.

Perry

akameme

Rough_Rock
Thanks Perry.

I''ve been on this forum for the last few weeks, mostly focusing on radiants, so I have learned a bit. I know that it really all boils down to personal preference and seeing the diamond.

The budget is about 7000, with a max of 7500. I''m looking exclusively at bluenile (i know there are other excellent e-vendors - but there are some specific reasons why we are shopping at this etailer for the moment).

I can appreciate there are no deals, I think it''s more a matter finding the best balance of all factors that maximizes sparkles. And, buying online makes that a little tougher w/out the "in person."

I guess my other question is, would you sacrifice a bit of size for better color, clarity? I''ve seen some pictures of rounds that are just over a carat and they look huge!

Thanks to all...
Miriam

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think a good balance is g-h/si-1...

If you prefer white white white...Your $7500 should get you a Top Notch H&A stone between 1.10-1.20 D - si-1...

You would be surprised how good a nicely cut H eye-clean si-1 will stand out..Especially on her finger..
37.gif

akameme

Rough_Rock
or on mine.....I"m doing all the legwork for the b-f.
1.gif

Thanks for the info. I''m really thinking the Si1 I found may really work.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
It sounds like you''ve already established that you''re color sensitive. If so, I recommend you stay in the the D-F range. The 1.19 you''re considering is very close to a 1.25 & there should be little visible difference in size once mounted & on a finger. Also, a taller setting can help make the diamond look larger than it really is. I have an H color diamond & didn''t realize how color sensitive I was, I just listened to what the majority advised about going down in color & up in size. In retrospect I would have preferred a slightly smaller diamond in the D-F color range.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are going to stick with BlueNile (for personal reasons), that is OK with me. Expect to pay a bit more than some of the other vendors for the same diamond though....

However, the real thing here is stick to stones with AGS certs as they give you enough information to use the HCA (see tools on the upper right). You are looking for a score of 2 or less (and a lower score below 2 does not necessarily mean a better looking stone - as there are some "fudging" between HCA factors when you get below 2. The 4 part rating is usually pretty good though....

I would also considering using a VG instead of Ideal or Excellent for polish.

I do believe that you will be challanged to find what you are looking for size wise on BlueNile. My memory was that a good cut 1 carat G VS1 was about $7500 on BlueNile when I started looking at diamonds in general sevearl months ago. I tended to find that I could get a better cut stone (or at least a better certified light performance stone) through some of the vendors here for about $1000 less.

Best of luck with this.

Perry

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Akameme, I am sorry to hear that your radiant search has been so difficult that you are no longer considering radiants. It''s a shame. Just to let you know i am very color sensitive, and my E color radiant is still a bit colored, next to a G or sometimes and H colored round stone. Rounds notoriously display a lot less color than any shaped stone, so even a G or H will probably be your best bet.

As for going with an AGS only stone, I just don''t agree. I think you would be missing out on A LOT of fantastic stones, since MOST on BN are GIA certified...

While I understand and appreciate everyone''s willingness to get the PERFECT stone, I think to some extent even after all their research, most people have not seen that many diamonds, but still a 34 crown angle versus a 34.5 crown will kill a sale, when the average person can not tell a 40 from a 30...

I say to find a stone based on it''s numbers is impossible to extremely difficult in radiants, but sadly, is the easiest way to probably find a round stone on the internet. So, as long as you have a depth under 62%. and a table between 55% and and 58% you will likely have a great stone. They are round, so generally, if there is a really horrendous cut within those parameters, and I HIGHLY doubt it, Blue Nile will take it back. As useful as the "numbers" are, general cut guidelines also give you the leeway to find a stone you like within your taste without narrowing it down to 3 stones in the world...

If it''s at all possible consider using a vendor who can further assist you, and perhaps your search will be far easier than your radiant search... I also always suggest getting to a store to see the different cuts in a round to determine which you like most. They are slight differences, but see if you like a 60/60 stone, a 57/61 stone, and generally find (with your eyes) which color and clarity you feel best suits your needs, AND THEN match that up on Blue Nile...

Good luck and I hope your search goes well!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I''m just peeking in to tell you that I have an H-si1, (1.14) and I have never once seen ANY COLOR in it. As for the inclusion, there are 2 tiny pinpricks that I can only find if I tilt the ring a certain way, and i still have to hunt for them. When I have my ring professionally cleaned I almost PANICK becasuse the inclusions are hard to find, and then I''m not sure if it''s my stone or not!

Also, I will try to post a before and after picture of my 2 settings - 1 was a solitaire, the other is in my aavatar - the pave around the stone makes it look much bigger - this is a great way to maximize the size.

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
b4nfta2.jpg

Here it is!

akameme

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone, you''ve been very helpful. I think i''m going to check out the 1.19, F, Si1 - BN looked at and said it was eye clean.

If it doesn''t work - then I can always try another stone...as Nicrez said, they are easier to buy online than radiants.

I really didn''t expect to go round, but I think radiants require a bit more time and energy than I am prepared to give...or maybe, they can be the side stones???

I''ll keep everyone posted.
Miriam/akameme

akameme

Rough_Rock
finally found one...(couldn''t attach report - here are the specs:

1.23 F, Si1
6.83-6.91 x4.28
depth: 62.3
table; 56%
girdle: med to slightly thick, faceted
cutlet - none
polish/sym: ex/vg
floursence: none

There are three inclusions all on the underside. If I can see the inclusions, I''ll return it, go down in size and up in clarity...but I hear it''s a good one (at least based on the report).

here''s hoping its eye clean :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results