shape
carat
color
clarity

looking at colored stones and totally overwhelmed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsinhereyes

Rough_Rock
I''ve always had a bit of a problem with diamond engagement rings, but I thought that Canadian/Ethical diamonds would assuage my worries. However, as I''ve been reading up on them, it seems that they are still not very "green," because of how mining for them destroys the land. So I was looking at colored stones for an e-ring, and I can''t really find any good fair trade sites for them. Does anyone have any advice on where to begin a search? Thanks!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like Wildfish might be the place for you.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I have 90+ gem sites listed and I think the only one that expressly promotes "Fair Trade" is Columbia House

That being said, it doesn''t mean that everyone else is not Fair Trade.

Here''s a link to Wildfish that you might find interesting.

But if you worry about diamonds and fair trade, then coloured gems and fair trade is going to leave you in a quagmire from which you may not escape. Trade in gems is not regulated to the extent that trade in diamonds are.

If you let us know what sort of gem you are interested in, we might be able to help you find something. Alternatively, you might feel more comfortable trying to source man made stones. When precision cut, they can look every bit as good (sometimes too good) as the originals, but at least you would be reassured as to their origin.

Several of the precision cutters who you will find mentioned here go on field trips to Africa to purchase their own rough material. Finding a lapidarist that you trust is maybe a good first step for you. I am sure there are others, but the lapidarists that I know of that source their material directly includes:
Peter Torraca
Lisa Elser
Roger Dery
Gene Flannigan

mousey

Shiny_Rock
another vote for wildfish. i got my ering stone there. Ed is really really nice and helpful.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2009 1:17:15 PM
Author:starsinhereyes
I''ve always had a bit of a problem with diamond engagement rings, but I thought that Canadian/Ethical diamonds would assuage my worries. However, as I''ve been reading up on them, it seems that they are still not very ''green,'' because of how mining for them destroys the land. So I was looking at colored stones for an e-ring, and I can''t really find any good fair trade sites for them. Does anyone have any advice on where to begin a search? Thanks!!
I really don''t want to be the one to burst your bubble, but all natural gemstones come of out the ground. Mining gemstones often involves digging deep into the earth and displacing a lot of rock which is disgarded. Some corundum is found in placer deposits in riverbeds and recovering that material can sometimes be done without major environmental disruption. But these sorts of deposits tend to be the low-hanging fruit of the gemstone world, and are usually quickly exhausted.

Some people are comfortable with diamond mines in remote areas, such as the Canadian mines north of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. The economic benefits have to be weighed against the environmental damage.

Some environmentalists are more comfortable with synthetic gemstones produced in laboratories. But even these products have an environmental cost, since a lot of energy is required to produce them.

Are you planning to use a precious metal such as gold or platinum for your e-ring? Mining these metals is at least as eco-unfriendly as any gemstone minng. In fact metals mining produces more toxic pollution than any other industry in the United States.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 8:17:24 AM
Author: morecarats
Date: 10/13/2009 1:17:15 PM

Author:starsinhereyes

I've always had a bit of a problem with diamond engagement rings, but I thought that Canadian/Ethical diamonds would assuage my worries. However, as I've been reading up on them, it seems that they are still not very 'green,' because of how mining for them destroys the land. So I was looking at colored stones for an e-ring, and I can't really find any good fair trade sites for them. Does anyone have any advice on where to begin a search? Thanks!!

I really don't want to be the one to burst your bubble, but all natural gemstones come of out the ground. Mining gemstones often involves digging deep into the earth and displacing a lot of rock which is disgarded. Some corundum is found in placer deposits in riverbeds and recovering that material can sometimes be done without major environmental disruption. But these sorts of deposits tend to be the low-hanging fruit of the gemstone world, and are usually quickly exhausted.

Some people are comfortable with diamond mines in remote areas, such as the Canadian mines north of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. The economic benefits have to be weighed against the environmental damage.

Some environmentalists are more comfortable with synthetic gemstones produced in laboratories. But even these products have an environmental cost, since a lot of energy is required to produce them.

Are you planning to use a precious metal such as gold or platinum for your e-ring? Mining these metals is at least as eco-unfriendly as any gemstone minng. In fact metals mining produces more toxic pollution than any other industry in the United States.

You could always use recycled gold ( I have ). Buy a second hand or antique ring. Everything doesn't have to be new. Maybe you could mine your own stone, like in Montana or something?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I actually don''t know a lot about American sapphire mining. But maybe you could get an American sapphire custom set in a recycled gold setting. That wouldn''t be too hard to do.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think the greenest way to go would be to buy an antique ring. Yes, it probably polluted and oppressed when it was first made, but that was a long time ago.

Well, the REALLY greenest way to go would be to skip the ring altogether.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of purchasing an antique ring. The damage is already done and buying it second hand does not contribute to further environmental damage.

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I think getting a second hand ring is a very good idea in terms of environmental concerns. But- if you want an unheated/untreated stone wouldn''t it be hard to ensure that that is what you have if you bought an antique? Maybe you could try buying an old stone (perhaps a sapphire, or perhaps an OEC), and melting some gold for the setting? At least that way you could get the stone tested?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
An OEC would be nice. Lang antiques has a good selection http://www.langantiques.com/

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2009 12:21:53 PM
Author: mousey
I think getting a second hand ring is a very good idea in terms of environmental concerns. But- if you want an unheated/untreated stone wouldn''t it be hard to ensure that that is what you have if you bought an antique? Maybe you could try buying an old stone (perhaps a sapphire, or perhaps an OEC), and melting some gold for the setting? At least that way you could get the stone tested?
You can ask for a ring to be made from ''your'' gold, but honestly it will be made form whatever gold they have ready to go. Gold jewellery has to be refined before it can be used again to get rid of the other elements it''s mixed with. So, while having your own gold can mean you don''t pay so much for a new setting, the new setting probably isn''t made of the metal you walked in with.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Depends who you go with. I had two rings made by this guy with my gold. http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammered-Ring-Using-Your-Old-Scrap-Gold_W0QQitemZ290276281043QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item4395d08ad3#ht_2214wt_1165

starsinhereyes

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all your input- I definitely think antique will be the way to go for me. I love Lang Antiques, beautiful rings.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
It''s a destructive world we live in Starsinhereyes, no matter which way we look. I am sure you will find a fine ring at Lang''s or maybe even M S Rau. We would love to share your journey with you.

Good luck in finding the right ring for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results