shape
carat
color
clarity

Long marquise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again experts,

I think I'm becoming an addict.
emsmile.gif

I dont even have my current setting project back yet (and wont have it for at least another 2 weeks) but already I'm starting to think about my next one.

So.... I have this idea for a ring, marquise stone, but not your normal marquise.

I want a long skinny one

Minimum L:W ratio of 4:1 (knuckle to knuckle but skinny as)

have no idea about colour but I think I am tending towards pale, with one other stone type as accents plus maybe diamonds as a very narrow halo

Oh and also dont want to spend a huge amount of money, maybe $300-500

this will be an occasional ring, worn one 10 hour office related period every 2-3 weeks (special 'impress the client' meeting type days) plus the occasional evening event

On the basis of that hugely informative information
4.gif
2.gif
4.gif
does anyone have any suggestions?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I thought this was an interesting request so I scanned a few gems websites but I didn''t find anything even close to that skinny. AJS has some yellow tourmaline, scapolite and tsavorite that come close to 3:1 but nothing skinnier. Does it have to be marquise shaped? You often see tourmaline in elongated emerald cuts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is incredibly difficult to buy coloured stones by shape, especially uncommon shapes like a marquise, even more so when you have a specific ratio you are looking for. Your options will be very limited, even if you are open to all colours.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
That is something that would probably need to be custom cut. I''m sure one of the cutters here would be willing to do it for you.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Would you consider a matched pair of pears, with tips pointing to opposite ends? It would get you a similar look, but it would probably be much easier to find.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Kismet & Chrono, Thanks for your thoughts. That pretty much echos what I found. I did do a quick scan of my fav gem sites, but didnt find anything close to what I''m looking for. I was hoping that experts like yourselves might have other options.

Jeff, how much would it cost to cut a stone especially to this size/type of dimensions? (I know I know - how long is a piece of string?
emembarrassed.gif
) but lets say for something like aquamarine or morganite or....? I''m thinking 20-25 mm long by 5-6mm wide.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 10:21:04 AM
Author: ma re
Would you consider a matched pair of pears, with tips pointing to opposite ends? It would get you a similar look, but it would probably be much easier to find.

ooooohh, now thats something I hadnt even thought of but .... yes that could work if I changed the location of the accent stones.

Thanks MaRe

(this is why I luuurve PS)

So, as my backup plan, does anybody know where I can get a matched set of pale coloured skinny pears?

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
hi there
35.gif

I have a sweet spot for marquise shapes...I'm not sure why, but I just adore the shape!

I'm pretty sure you might be able to get something cut, from any one of the vendors that have been mentioned across the boards here, although a 4:1 ration might be tricky? I'm not even sure what it might look like...I'm trying to visualise something measuring around 20x5mm...or that kind of ball park. I would imagine the minimum width would have to be around 5/6mm to keep the stone stable?

I'm in the UK...but have a few ideas bookmarked for long stones...

LouiseONeill

I have others, but deeply buried! I'll have a search later...

1.gif

LouiseONeillElongatedMarquise.jpg

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
I love this set...and the use of the marquise shapes

LouiseONeill

1.gif

LouiseONeillMarquiseShapes.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 10:41:53 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi there
35.gif

I have a sweet spot for marquise shapes...I''m not sure why, but I just adore the shape!

I''m pretty sure you might be able to get something cut, from any one of the vendors that have been mentioned across the boards here, although a 4:1 ration might be tricky? I''m not even sure what it might look like...I''m trying to visualise something measuring around 20x5mm...or that kind of ball park. I would imagine the minimum width would have to be around 5/6mm to keep the stone stable?

I''m in the UK...but have a few ideas bookmarked for long stones...

LouiseONeill

I have others, but deeply buried! I''ll have a search later...

1.gif
I think I saw her designs (two aqua rings) in Judith Crowe''s book. Very interesting.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is one of those ideas which sounds neat, but might not wqork out so well in practice. You''d really need to make a special design for it that would prevent the tips from being too long and thin. Remember that thin in width means even thinner in depth. Instead of a needle like end it would probably be better to have the sides straight for a while and then tapering down at the points. Imagine a large baguette with tapered ends. This would also be very hard to hold when cutting since a 12mm long stone would only be 3mm wide. That''s a lot of leverage to try to keep stuck top the machine during cutting. It''d probably drive the poor cutter nuts.
19.gif

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like multicolors sapphire and the morganite Navette!!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:59:28 PM
Author: Michael_E
This is one of those ideas which sounds neat, but might not wqork out so well in practice. You''d really need to make a special design for it that would prevent the tips from being too long and thin. Remember that thin in width means even thinner in depth. Instead of a needle like end it would probably be better to have the sides straight for a while and then tapering down at the points. Imagine a large baguette with tapered ends. This would also be very hard to hold when cutting since a 12mm long stone would only be 3mm wide. That''s a lot of leverage to try to keep stuck top the machine during cutting. It''d probably drive the poor cutter nuts.
19.gif

and I''m sure Michael will agree with me when I say that wouldn''t be a very long drive.

BTW, how do you highlight quoted text? What is the tag?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 6:01:46 PM
Author: Revolution

After you press "Quote", double click on the quoted post, get the cursor to the part that you''d like to highlight, press shift and hold an arrow until you''ve marked the part that you''d like to highlight, and just click on the icon that has "ab" on it highlighted with yellow color (above the reply window). And voila!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do what ma re said in Internet Explorer, but Firefox would require some HTML. Which is why I never highlight. I wonder if Google Chrome has it...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 4:53:39 AM
Author: FrekeChild
You can do what ma re said in Internet Explorer, but Firefox would require some HTML. Which is why I never highlight. I wonder if Google Chrome has it...

Ahhh..no wonder I couldn''t figure out how to highlight or do anything other than quote.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2010 11:24:58 AM
Author: packrat

Date: 1/30/2010 4:53:39 AM
Author: FrekeChild

Ahhh..no wonder I couldn't figure out how to highlight or do anything other than quote.
Ahhh..no wonder I couldn't figure out how to highlight or do anything other than quote.
font*>

remove astericks
1.gif

(in IE there's the option to change you post from 'normal' to HTML in case you find yourself needing more codes, just remind whoever finds them for you to put something in them like i did or it would end up just doing this again: Ahhh..no wonder I couldn't figure out how to highlight or do anything other than quote.
)

ETA: so it doesn't automatically change HTML in normal mode! in that case forget about adding extra characters and just cut and paste
5.gif

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Just ran across this marquise. Not sure if it''s skinny enough, though.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2010 2:25:50 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 1/29/2010 6:01:46 PM
Author: Revolution

After you press ''Quote'', double click on the quoted post, get the cursor to the part that you''d like to highlight, press shift and hold an arrow until you''ve marked the part that you''d like to highlight, and just click on the icon that has ''ab'' on it highlighted with yellow color (above the reply window). And voila!
Just wanted to try...sorry

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 10:41:53 AM
Author: pwendyp
hi there
35.gif

I have a sweet spot for marquise shapes...I''m not sure why, but I just adore the shape!

I''m pretty sure you might be able to get something cut, from any one of the vendors that have been mentioned across the boards here, although a 4:1 ration might be tricky? I''m not even sure what it might look like...I''m trying to visualise something measuring around 20x5mm...or that kind of ball park. I would imagine the minimum width would have to be around 5/6mm to keep the stone stable?

I''m in the UK...but have a few ideas bookmarked for long stones...

LouiseONeill

I have others, but deeply buried! I''ll have a search later...

1.gif

Pwendyp,
Thanks you so much so this link. Not quite what I''m looking for with this specific design but lovely rings. I think I might be getting a few of these over the next few months. Yum.

(hubby will hate you for giving me this link
3.gif
1.gif
- also my bank manager
2.gif
)

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
gailey,
Thanks for these links, especially the ones to Gocce Di Luce. I wasnt aware of them but they have what seem to be lovely stones. Have you bought from them in the past? How reliable are their pictures? Is there a way of getting further info about the stones (clarity etc)? Or do I need to email? They seem very light on descriptions within the website.

Sorry for all the questions

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 2:59:28 PM
Author: Michael_E
This is one of those ideas which sounds neat, but might not wqork out so well in practice. You'd really need to make a special design for it that would prevent the tips from being too long and thin. Remember that thin in width means even thinner in depth. Instead of a needle like end it would probably be better to have the sides straight for a while and then tapering down at the points. Imagine a large baguette with tapered ends. This would also be very hard to hold when cutting since a 12mm long stone would only be 3mm wide. That's a lot of leverage to try to keep stuck top the machine during cutting. It'd probably drive the poor cutter nuts.
19.gif
Yet again the voice of reason Michael
1.gif
I hadnt thought about that (the needle like ends I mean) I was thinking its would still be slightly curved, but what you say makes sense for that ratio.

Do you have any pictures of the other cutting option you mention (baguette with tapered ends)?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 3:10:58 PM
Author: RockHugger
I like multicolors sapphire and the morganite Navette!!

Me too
1.gif
The morganite is almost the exact ratio I was hoping for

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results