shape
carat
color
clarity

London Jewellers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Grr....

I''ve had an estimate for a very plain four claw pendant. They want to charge me $600 to mount a $100 tourmaline in white gold.

That''s the UK for you.

Am i wrong, or is that beyond ridiculous??

UK Pricescopers, please help me.

I need your collective wisdom on how much simple settings should cost in our fair isle and all your recommendations for competitively priced jewellers based in London.

Thanks!

I''m still fuming about it....
29.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like this particular doesn’t want the job so he is quoting you a ridiculous price hoping you’ll get the hint. LovingDiamonds is in UK and should be able to advice you when she logs in to PS.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ridiculous!

Phone a company called Outwork who are based in the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham. They'll be able to give you a quote over the phone. You can then send them (via Special Delivery) your item and they will send it back the same way (of course you have to pay the postage) but it will cost anything from £20-50 depending on the metal and what actually needs to be done!

If they can't help there are a number of others near to them who offer a similar service. I can't think of their names just at the moment so post up if you don't get any joy with Outwork.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much LD! have sent outwork an email.

i wasn''t looking for anything ornate, just the most basic mount to show as much of the stone as possible.

erm, one quote for a plain gold ring was almost 600 pounds!!

29.gif

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
LD,

if you have any pics of Outwork''s work, they would be much appreciated.

boy, i can''t wait to get those stones back from that jeweller...

14.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hang on Rosetta - from your first post I thought you had the setting and simply wanted to put a gemstone in it?

I think, from your latest post you actually want something custom made to fit a stone you have? If that's the case then I'm not sure that Outwork are the people to contact. I've only ever used them for repairs and sizing etc.

If you're looking for settings, most of us on here use an Ebay seller called Lordofgemrings (abbreviated to LOGR on here). He has the best value for money settings that most of us (no matter where we're located) have found. I've bought a number of items from him.

Do a search for LOGR on this forum and you'll see tons of photos of his settings (more rings than pendants but there are some pendant photos too).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I now see that you are in need of the setting itself too. LOGRs seem to be a pretty good value. If you want a plain metal solitaire style (very basic), Tripps is very inexpensive.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
i think i should have been more clear!

i didn''t really think i could get a setting as well for 50 quid LD, but i thought you meant they could make a setting a a reasonable price too. wrong end of the stick, sorry!

custom is really very expensive in the UK
7.gif
way, way more than the stones i''m setting.

i''ll check out LOGR and tripps, they seem to be the way to go..thanks

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta it IS possible to have custom made settings in the UK for less than you would pay elsewhere BUT you need to make friends with a benchman or jeweller and understand that for the first few times you won''t get great prices. As I''ve been collecting for years I use the same people over and over again (because their quality is superb) and the benefit of that is that I don''t pay the huge mark up prices that you''ll typically find. For example, I had CADs done and a ring mount in platinum and y/gold for less than £500. That''s a bespoke intricate setting.

LOGR have great settings for around £150-500 (depending on how much you want to spend and whether you upgrade the diamonds). It''s definitely worth upgrading if you''re super sensitive to diamond colour and clarity. It normally takes about 2 weeks from the time you order until you get it. LOGR can also custom make settings to fit your stone BUT not all settings can be adjusted so please make sure you email them before you buy a setting. Don''t forget though, you''ll still have to have the stone set into the setting (and that''s when I WOULD suggest Outwork to help you out). Or this could be a good opportunity for you to start making friends with a local jeweller!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Anything custom is going to cost more ££ than most people imagine because of the set-up costs involved.

I''ve had stones set into Stuller mounts for pendants and earrings - they have online catalogues and you can get your jeweller to order from them. They are very reasonable IMHO.

I only go custom on a setting when it''s a important piece or can''t be found ready done. For the vast majority of designs there are semi-mounts out there on the market.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Oooh. Thanks for the contact LD!

Has anybody used them to set something in a LOGR setting.

(I so want to buy a LOGR and something from Dan and this jeweller could be my missing link!)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
okaaaay....

custom is far too expensive for the cheaper stones, period.

my stones are on this link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/newbie-with-pics.133322/

if anyone can find me plain 14k yellow/white gold ring or pendant settings that will fit ANY of these stones (and can ship to the UK) i will be eternally grateful and will fall and kiss your (virtual) feet.....

aaaargh!!
32.gif

thank you in advance, kind PSers

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked out your other thread and I LOVE your stone choices. I''m so sorry you''re having a hard time setting them. I''m not in the UK but have used Stuller settings before, just had my jeweler order it and set it. I''m hoping that''s an option for you.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, Rosetta, you''ve got quite a handful coming to you! Have you received any of them yet?

I''m going to do a quick search to see what settings I can find for these, but I would really contact LOGR on ebay. You can also have them customize the setting to fit your stone, which I had to do when I ordered a pendant from them. (The pendant turned out beautifully...unfortunately I didn''t like the intended stone in it so I now await another stone.
38.gif
) I think it was about $80 or so to customize it, which wasn''t too bad since the different size meant I also needed more diamonds in the setting.

Will be back soon!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta definitely check out LOGR (as said above). Upgrade the diamonds if you''re colour sensitive. They will custom make to your gemstone for a small fee BUT ask Stephen before you buy if the setting you''ve chosen will accommodate your stone - some can''t be changed. They ship to the UK with no problems and returns to them aren''t an issue either.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
You might want to ask LOGR what the cost would be to have this setting for your barion emerald shaped tourmaline.

As far as the round garnet from Gary (what are its dimensions again? It''s gorgeous!!) you may want to ask LOGR about the cost to customize these:

Setting 1

Setting 2

Setting 3

Setting 4

These Tripp''s settings may be a bit too big (or large) for your square ones. I know that a 0.2mm difference is okay, but I don''t know if a 0.4mm difference is workable. I would definitely contact a jeweler before doing these.

Kite-set
Other Tripp''s pendants

If you''re not afraid of shipping your stones to get set you may want to consider Sally from =tags&includes[1]=title:2o8h065d]Heart of Water Jewels on Etsy. If you do a quick search here you''ll see she''s quite popular. I''ve seen lotus and pillbox pendants here at PS, and her site shows some of the bezel pendants.

If you''re a fan of bezeling you may also want to contact Julia Kay Taylor on etsy, who also has her own separate website. The home photo at her page is PS''s own Arjunajane''s beautiful 3-stone ring. MakingTheGrade also had a pendant made by her recently (MTG also had one done by Sally).

With these last two options there''s no need to find a separate jeweler or to see if someone will customize their stock settings for you, as they custom make the piece. If you wanted something a bit different from a stock setting I''d say these might be your best choices if you''re trying to keep your budget down. (Sally might be better than Julia, but that''s just my own guess as I haven''t had work done by either yet.)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
thanks austenut!!

i didn''t look at logr coz they all have diamonds (don''t they?) and i don''t want diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results