shape
carat
color
clarity

LOGR help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allsparkly

Rough_Rock
I am new to buying loose gems and settings, but I think I am hooked after reading about all of your lovely lovelies! I am very interested in getting some LOGR items and would greatly appreciate some help from the LOGRers out there. Paging LaurenThePartier
1.gif

1) When bidding on LOGR auctions, should I get a quote on any requested changes *before* placing a bid?
2) Is he willing to make changes to his items up for auction, or only his buy-it-now items?
3) When making an offer on his buy-it-now items, how low can you reasonably go?
4) From those who have bought rose gold from him, do you have any photos you could post? Is it a deep copper color or a lighter pink?
5) Is LOGR''s rose gold plated - or is it solid? (ie: will it rub off?)
6) I will be sourcing the stone separately and having a local jeweler mount it for me. I do not have a jeweler yet, though. When calling a local jeweler, how do I ask if they will do this and how much it will cost? (I don''t know the lingo yet
2.gif

Phew.... lots of questions from a newbie. Thanks so much to everyone for helping me.

For this pendant, budget is about $500 (incl setting, upgrades, stone, labor, etc). Carat weight is 0.86ct, clarity is SI2-SI3, color H. I am thinking about a pink or yellow stone in a RG or WG setting. My questions:
1) Should I upgrade the accent diamonds to VS and the setting to 18K?
2) Is there such a thing as 18K rose gold? Does it look different than 14K?
3) I don''t have a stone yet... any stone ideas? For a pink stone, I was thinking about a sapphire, spinel or tourmaline, but I''d want a true pink color (no purple or red). Do you all think a light or bright pink would look best?
4) What do you all think about this pendant in RG with a pink or yellow stone? Should the whole thing be RG or only part of it (or none of it in RG)? I''m also okay staying with WG if you all think that would look best. I just want it to be beautiful
1.gif

5) Will the stone sit "inside" of the pendant or kind of on top of it?
6) Is it best to have a stone cut to the specific dimensions (oval 5x7mm) or just try to find one already cut to that dimension?

Any input is SO appreciated.

LOGRpendant123.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for putting all these Qs in one place. I''m looking forward to the responses -- I''m a novice LOGR buyer as well and have many of the same queries. I''d add two additional questions:
If the listing doesn''t have the "upgrade your setting" section, does that mean the diamonds can''t be upgraded??
If the diamonds are listed merely as "round" does that mean they are full cuts?
TIA!!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t typically upgrade unless it is a pricier piece. I usually remind him not to give me nasty stones.

Yes - it looks slightly different but not huge.

3) I don''t have a stone yet... any stone ideas? For a pink stone, I was thinking about a sapphire, spinel or tourmaline, but I''d want a true pink color (no purple or red). Do you all think a light or bright pink would look best?
I love vibrant pink spinels and garnets. Sapphires are more pricey.

4) What do you all think about this pendant in RG with a pink or yellow stone? Should the whole thing be RG or only part of it (or none of it in RG)? I''m also okay staying with WG if you all think that would look best. I just want it to be beautiful
1.gif

I have to see the stone firsst.

5) Will the stone sit ''inside'' of the pendant or kind of on top of it?
I don''t know how to explain it but it sits inside but sticks out? It''s a prong set.

6) Is it best to have a stone cut to the specific dimensions (oval 5x7mm) or just try to find one already cut to that dimension?
Best to buy a stone before buying the setting.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) When bidding on LOGR auctions, should I get a quote on any requested changes *before* placing a bid?
I can only tell you what I do. I always ask for a price of the changes I would want. That means if I want 18K, 2 toned gold, upgraded diamonds, different sized head, whatever. If you have questions about what you''re buying always ask first.

2) Is he willing to make changes to his items up for auction, or only his buy-it-now items?
He will do both, but see my answer for number 1

3) When making an offer on his buy-it-now items, how low can you reasonably go?
Go as low as you''re comfortable paying. The offers accepted do vary.

4) From those who have bought rose gold from him, do you have any photos you could post? Is it a deep copper color or a lighter pink?

N/A

5) Is LOGR''s rose gold plated - or is it solid? (ie: will it rub off?)
totally solid stuff. If you really want to know and be sure, then have it checked out (I have)

6) I will be sourcing the stone separately and having a local jeweler mount it for me. I do not have a jeweler yet, though. When calling a local jeweler, how do I ask if they will do this and how much it will cost? (I don''t know the lingo yet
Ask your local jewler how much they charge to set XYZ stone into XYZ setting. Let them know you HAVE your own setting. SOmetimes a jeweler not interested in a setting job will blow you off so they will charge something ridiculous. Expect to spend anywhere from 40-100 for a basic set. Once you find a jeweler you like, they should be your goto person.

I''m lucky enough to have 2 where I am that I won''t hesitate to go to.

Phew.... lots of questions from a newbie. Thanks so much to everyone for helping me.

For this pendant, budget is about $500 (incl setting, upgrades, stone, labor, etc). Carat weight is 0.86ct, clarity is SI2-SI3, color H. I am thinking about a pink or yellow stone in a RG or WG setting. My questions:

Its not entirely necessary, you can just ask him to make sure they''re well matched (its what I do) If diamond clarity is ubber important, then upgrade.

The rose gold has a more new penny look to it IMO.

I don''t have much to say here because you have to decide what looks best on you and compliments your style as well as your skin tone.

Your beautiful may not be mine and vise versa. I say wait until you get the stone before buying the setting.

5) Will the stone sit "inside" of the pendant or kind of on top of it?
Yes...lol Prong set means its going to sit somewhat on top but should sit in the basket of the setting.

You could probably find a calibrated stone, however, I would urge you to get the stone first, make sure you really like it, then get the setting. Take it from someone who''s done it the other way around a few times...lol

My answers are in red,

-A

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2010 12:30:54 PM
Author: enbcfsobe
Thanks so much for putting all these Qs in one place. I''m looking forward to the responses -- I''m a novice LOGR buyer as well and have many of the same queries. I''d add two additional questions:
If the listing doesn''t have the ''upgrade your setting'' section, does that mean the diamonds can''t be upgraded??
If the diamonds are listed merely as ''round'' does that mean they are full cuts?
TIA!!

Round dosen''t always mean full cut. You should ask if its not clear to you.

If the listing dosen''t say anything about upgrading, you can still ask. Some do and some dont.

-A

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!!
I know there are lots of LOGR threads but this was really helpful to have all in one place
9.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/16/2010 12:24:44 PM
Author:allsparkly
I am new to buying loose gems and settings, but I think I am hooked after reading about all of your lovely lovelies! I am very interested in getting some LOGR items and would greatly appreciate some help from the LOGRers out there. Paging LaurenThePartier
1.gif

1) When bidding on LOGR auctions, should I get a quote on any requested changes *before* placing a bid? Probably best to otherwise you may find you've bought something and then the changes add up to too much money.
2) Is he willing to make changes to his items up for auction, or only his buy-it-now items? Both but again, get quotes for changes before bidding on anything.
3) When making an offer on his buy-it-now items, how low can you reasonably go? He's getting more and more tight on how little he'll move. 10% is about all you'll get now unfortunately.
4) From those who have bought rose gold from him, do you have any photos you could post? Is it a deep copper color or a lighter pink? Haven't bought any.
5) Is LOGR's rose gold plated - or is it solid? (ie: will it rub off?) Highly unlikely as it's a gold mix but ask him the question.
6) I will be sourcing the stone separately and having a local jeweler mount it for me. I do not have a jeweler yet, though. When calling a local jeweler, how do I ask if they will do this and how much it will cost? (I don't know the lingo yet
2.gif
You need to ask a local jeweller if you bring in a gemstone and semi mount how much it will cost to set. Again, do this first because in some locations find a good jeweller to do this can cost a lot. In other places it'll be around $30-50. One thing to be aware of ..... if they crack your gemstone, you won't be covered under their insurance.

1) Should I upgrade the accent diamonds to VS and the setting to 18K? Upgrading his diamonds is always wise. Some of his "normal" diamonds are not great. However, I wouldn't bother upgrading the gold and 14k is more durable than 18k in any case.
2) Is there such a thing as 18K rose gold? Does it look different than 14K? I'm not a lover of rose gold so will let others comment on this
3) I don't have a stone yet... any stone ideas? For a pink stone, I was thinking about a sapphire, spinel or tourmaline, but I'd want a true pink color (no purple or red). Do you all think a light or bright pink would look best? For a true pink without any hint of purple or red you'll struggle. Think about Morganite for a pink as well but steer clear of Kunzite as this can fade in sunlight. In Topaz you can get some phenomenal pinks that would look lovely in a pendant.
4) What do you all think about this pendant in RG with a pink or yellow stone? Should the whole thing be RG or only part of it (or none of it in RG)? I'm also okay staying with WG if you all think that would look best. I just want it to be beautiful
1.gif
I would only go for the claws holding the stone in rose gold - otherwise you run the risk of overpowering the piece and it just becomes one huge pink pendant in different shades.
5) Will the stone sit 'inside' of the pendant or kind of on top of it? It will sit slightly above the circle of diamonds and will be held in place by the claws you can see in the photo.
6) Is it best to have a stone cut to the specific dimensions (oval 5x7mm) or just try to find one already cut to that dimension? Unless you go to a cutter this will be difficult. Typically for the type of pendant you're looking at, you can have a tolerance with a gemstone of about .25 in either direction. Any more and you get airlines or the central stone lies over the diamonds (not good).

Any input is SO appreciated.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone did a great job answerng your questions, so I''ll just answer the one you had about 18K vs 14K rose gold since I own both from LOGR. The 18K is more subtle, and I actually wear two 18K yellow gold bands with my 18KRG ring. If you look in my gallery of photos, I have a violet oval stone (spinel) in a 18K RG halo, and a greenish diamond in a 14K RG square halo. You can compare the two that way. His RG is more coppery than pink though.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I do upgrade my diamonds. However, I only have a few pieces and the diamond weight was fairly low, and they are pieces I wear every day, so I think its worth it.

I don''t have experience with LOGR''s RG.

I love pale pinks and vibrant fuschia/hot pinks equally!

1.gif

Depends on the stone.

5) Will the stone sit ''inside'' of the pendant or kind of on top of it?

Depends on the size. If its a little too small, it will "sit inside" more; if its a little too big, it will sit higher.

6) Is it best to have a stone cut to the specific dimensions (oval 5x7mm) or just try to find one already cut to that dimension?[/b]

I haven''t commissioned a stone to be cut before. Its easiest to buy the stone first so that you have have the mount adjusted to your stone if its necessary.

allsparkly

Rough_Rock
Wow - you all are fantastic. Thank you so much for all of your answers! You have helped me so much. It sounds like I need to get the stone before the setting. One follow-up question... this pendant setting takes a 5x7mm stone. If I find a stone that I love that is not that size, can LOGR adjust the setting for me so the stone will fit? Would I then just tell LOGR the exact measurement of the stone, and they''d make the necessary changes?

I''m getting excited and foresee a few LOGR pretties in my future
36.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
LOGR usually charges about $30 for changes to the setting, and extra if extra gold or diamonds are needed. It is always best to ask first because some settings can''t be modified.

This is a pretty informative thread. Maybe we could add future LOGR questions to this thread. It would be a good place to ask quick questions and to a decent resource for common questions. I''ll be back later to post a few links to older "LOGR question''s" threads.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The rose gold basket on my 2 TONE ROSE/WHITE GOLD RING MOUNT WAS PLATED
7.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Did LOGR tell you it would be plated and not solid?
38.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2010 1:18:26 PM
Author: chictomato
The rose gold basket on my 2 TONE ROSE/WHITE GOLD RING MOUNT WAS PLATED
7.gif

Seriously? They do use rhodium plating which is pretty normal for white gold. I have a couple of pieces in white gold that are unplated because I asked for them that way. Did they plate the rose gold and do you know with what? (i''m now really curious!!!)

-A

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/17/2010 2:08:23 PM
Author: IndyLady
38.gif

Nope. I should have asked.

Hi Arcadian, according to my beanchman, the entire ring is in wg, with rose gold plated basket.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2010 11:37:59 PM

38.gif

Hi Arcadian, according to my beanchman, the entire ring is in wg, with rose gold plated basket.
6.gif
6.gif
23.gif
6.gif
6.gif
Thats just weird!
38.gif

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2010 11:37:59 PM

38.gif

Woah! I''m sure that came as a surprise to you and most of us here.
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results