shape
carat
color
clarity

local jewelry store or internet store such as Whiteflash?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

prc

Rough_Rock
BF has now decided that he wants to buy ring from local jewelry store. They told him today they could find him a good 1 carat stone for $5,000. I told him that if we can find a nice .8 stone in the $3000 price range then maybe it''s not worth spending the extra $2k for a carat. In general, are you able to buy a better stone for less money online from Whiteflash or another vendor? If he insists on buying from this local jewelry store, what do we need to be looking for - ideal cut? hearts & arrows? an eye clean stone? Should we get any tools like the Ideal Scope?

Thanks a million,

Pam

timetobuy

Rough_Rock
They told him today they could find him a good 1 carat stone for $5,000.

I guess it's all in one's definition of "good".

I suggest reading the guides on pricescope, goodoldgold, whiteflash etc., figure out what is important to you, and do some price shopping. Then, go back to the B&M armed with knowledge and see what they have to offer. If they know you have done your homework, some will cut the BS and get straight with you. I think it is possible to get a good diamond at a good price at B&M, but it may be difficult, and chances are you'll pay more for an equivalent stone.

Personally, I wanted to take a lot of the guesswork out of whether a diamond is ideal or not and went with AGS000 ACA H&A from Whiteflash. I highly recommend them.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pam, where do you live?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pam,

If you chose not to go the internet way, you can still get a very well cut (& gorgeous) diamond through your local vendor. The downside is
1. it will most likely take a longer time
2. you must know what you are looking for (the specs, good diamond knowledge and have your own idealscope) and remain VERY firm on it
3. the stone probably cost more at a B&M.

Plus if you go the WF route, I really like their upgrade policy. Most places require that you at least double the purchase price, but there is no limitation on WF's diamonds.

prc

Rough_Rock
We live in Louisville, Kentucky. The store he likes is Aesthetics in Jewelry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pam, I really recommend buying a certified diamond from WhiteFlash or one of the other highly reputable vendors on here. Then you know exactly what you are getting! Then, choose a nice local jeweler, if he wants, to set the stone. I have compared prices at three different fine jewelry stores, and the prices were higher there for premuium cut stones than are the ideal cut stones here online. The local jeweler may be honest, but you still can''t get feedback about them from all their customers. At least here, you have dozens of buyers who have had stones appraised by independent appraisers and we know the stones are reliable from certain vendors. I guess if money is no object, then buying the stone from a regular jeweler is okay. You will pay a very high premium to get a great stone or you will get a lesser quality. It''s really that simple.

Oh, and I think WhiteFlash''s Expert Selection is a good option, too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Pam,

A lot of us here have purchased over the internet because we have learned about the companies, most of which have a store somewhere, and find that they provide a lot of info many local jewelers do not. I always think having a relationship with a local jeweler is a good thing because you may need to have minor repairs done, or your rings cleaned, and it''s so much easier than shipping it across the country. Educating yourself is key, and there is a great Tutorial here you should read, if you haven''t already. In genereal internet diamonds are less because many times the vendors do not have the same overheads that a brick and mortor store has. You need to do what makes you guys comfortable. Many vendors like Whiteflash, Goodoldgold, Jamesallen and Winfield''s do a lot of internet business and are very reputable.

prc

Rough_Rock
Is there any way to convince BF that we won''t get burned again by buying from Whiteflash (or any other online store) since it''s technically still "over the internet" and he can''t touch it and see it himself? I think he''s open to the idea, just wants a real good reason (or 2 or 3)! He said yesterday that he''ll be glad when we have the ring and he can quit running around on this one.... so I''m hoping he''s not going to want to get something quick. I''m ready to be a much more "experienced" buyer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pam, you most certainly CAN touch it and see it yourself and then send it back if you don''t like it! All these vendors have a 10 to 30 day no-questions-asked return policy! You may have to pay the shipping, that''s it! I have done it and it was 100% painless!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And let me add, there is no way I''d order from just a random internet site! There are several on here that I see named over and over again who have stellar reputations. To name a few: WhiteFlash, Good Old Gold, Winfield''s, James Allen, Quest, the one that sells Superbcert, and I know there are others. At this point, I trust these jewelers more than the local ones! Some of these are posting both pictures and certifications (and prices) right here online...nothing to hide! No sales pressure! I like it so much better except for not having the chance to look at stones side by side. But the local jewelers had so few ideal cut stones anyway, that there was nothing to compare really!

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
To me, the real advantage of a well rated stone is that it is less subjective. The cert is stronger, the documentation is better, the diamonds are usually inscribed, and the true value/price is easily assesible on the internet. You pay more for the AGS000 and h&A, but the sales slack comes out. I think if the setting is important to you, then you have to go local. If the local store can get broker stones of your specified quality, then that is the way to go. I think you will be able to find them with a slight markup over internet prices if it is a H&A ags000, but if it is just an AGS000 I found many jewelers willing to match online prices at that point. Hard to say, it takes much looking around.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my ring and setting from Whiteflash and am very pleased. We live in Manhattan and, before I decided to take a chance on the internet, I went to numerous stores in the diamond district. I got a lot of misinformation and when I mentioned the internet and cut quality, most were resentful and critical or told me stones were Ideal when I knew they were not.

If you select a stone from one of the reputable vendors mentioned here, they will discuss the stone at length before they send it out. They all have a liberal return policy and they are not likely to waste your time or theirs sending out stones that are not good value.
I had my stone sent to an appraiser where I could see it. Then i had him send it back to Whiteflash for setting.

There was a recent thread here about a jeweler''s responsibility when setting a stone. If I recall correctly, most said they did not have insurance if the stone was damaged in setting and your insurance does not cover it either. If you did not buy the stone from them, there is little profit unless you purchase a costly setting.

Whiteflash has gorgeous settings and does excellent custom work as well. I am sure the other vendors also can provide you with an excellent choice of settings. If you buy from an internet vendor, I would suggest that you have them set it as well because I am sure they would not send you a stone they had damaged in setting.

My husband was very reluctant to let me buy on the internet. He was sure it would not work out well. But the ring I got was a great value and turned out far better than expected. Also, the internet vendors have access to a vast number of stones. I think it would be difficult and costly for your local jeweler to bring in that many stones.

However many people have had wonderful experiences with their local jewelers who will go to great lengths to accommodate their customers. Perhaps yours is one of them.If you decide to go that way, do take the tutorial and know pretty much what you want. Also check on Pricescope to see comparable prices.

Since cut is so important, you might want to ask your jeweler for a stone with a recent GIA report that now lists cut quality or ask for a Sarin or OGI and post it here for comments. It would also be helpful to have an Idealscope image. Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2006 10:00:20 AM
Author: tarssarb
To me, the real advantage of a well rated stone is that it is less subjective. The cert is stronger, the documentation is better, the diamonds are usually inscribed, and the true value/price is easily assesible on the internet. You pay more for the AGS000 and h&A, but the sales slack comes out
This is a huge reason why I like the over-documented stones that our vendors like WF, GOG, James Allen etc offer because I don''t feel like I have to work as hard to figure out if it''s going to be a beautiful stone. So many offline vendors make you work work work to get what you want from them. Even some online vendors do it too. ''No you don''t need a scope on that stone! It looks just fine! I don''t believe in the IdealScope''. PLEASE. If you can''t show it to me, I ain''t shopping with you. Period.

Anyway, I bought offline originally and now my last ~4 purchases have been online from WF, I adore them and I like the other online vendors as well, I would definitely buy from GOG or Wink and some others over an offline jeweler hands down.

They also have excellent return policies and will really bend over backwards to make you happy, this has been evidenced here time and time again. Also they have a real presence on the forum here and they respect PS''ers so they would not do anything to jeopardize that with shifty business practices like not taking a stone back or lying about the stone. Why would it be worth it? This is their business.

In the future I only plan to ever buy my diamonds online, unless I get something like an HOF or an Eightstar...my local jeweler carries Eightstars and if I ever get one, I''d love to give them the business because they take care of my rings for me (sizing, cleaning, checking prongs) for no charge.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
prc, many of the online vendors will ship the diamond to an appraiser in your area, where you can view the diamond prior to purchase. This is a great way to see a fabulous diamond before you part with your hard earned cash. My hubby and I viewed the WF diamond we bought in that manner, so we only paid when we saw the diamond and were happy with it and had received our appraiser''s input. It''s a great way to see a diamond and get professional input at the same time. Our experience with WF was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results