shape
carat
color
clarity

Lobster or crab Bisque recipes anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I am dying to make a wonderful lobster or crab bisque. Does anyone have a good recipe? I did look online and in my cookbooks, but there are so many- I don''t know where to start!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi pf!

i haven't tried these two but one of my fave things ever at restaurants is crab and corn bisque so i saved these two recipes a while back...haven't gotten around to them yet. but i looked around a lot online when i was checking them out (feb 2006!) and these two must have seemed highly recommended or just looked interesting, i can't recall!! i typically only save stuff if it seems like it's worth trying.. (eta hey i just noticed these two recipes are VERY similar...haha how funny!)

let me know if you try them!! YUM! this makes me hungry!

Louisiana Corn and Crab Bisque Recipe #153703
This recipe comes from one of our local chefs, Patrick Mould. He calls it the quintessential Louisiana Bisque. I would have to agree with him.

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 cup blond roux (1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup flour)
3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup cooked corn
1 lb lump crabmeat
1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon chopped green onions

4 servings Change size or US/metric
1 hour 15 minutes 30 mins prep

1. In large heavy saucepan heat butter over medium heat.
2. Add onion, celery, all of the chopped peppers and garlic.
3. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Combine 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 flour in small saucepan and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes (do not brown) and remove from heat.
5. Add chicken broth, white wine and thyme to vegetable mixture and bring to a boil.
6. Quckly whisk in blond roux (reserved oil and flour mixture) to vegetable mixture.
7. Whisk in heavy cream, reduce heat and simmer until cream is blended and beginning to thicken.
8. Add salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, hot sauce and corn.
9. Simmer 5 minutes.
10. Add lump crabment, parsley and green onions, being very careful not to break up crabmeat.
11. Simmer over low heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.

LOUISIANA CORN AND CRAB BISQUE
from Cooking Section, August 2001

Ingredients needed:
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 cup chopped onions
• One-half cup chopped green bell peppers
• One-half cup chopped celery
• One-fourth cup chopped red bell peppers
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic
• 2 cups chicken broth
• One-half cup dry white wine
• Three-fourths teaspoon dried thyme
• One-half cup blond roux (1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup flour)
• Three and one-half cups heavy whipping cream
• 1 cup cooked corn
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon hot sauce
• 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
• 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
• 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
• 16 crab claws (optional)

Heat the butter over low to medium heat in a 4-quart saucepan. Add the onions, green bell peppers, celery, red bell peppers, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, white wine and thyme. Bring to boil.

In a small bowl, make a blond roux by combining the oil and flour, and stirring to form a smooth paste. Add the roux to the saucepan and whisk until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the cream, whisk to blend, then reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to cook until the mixture thickens. Add the salt, hot sauce, and corn. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Very gently, stir in the crabmeat, parsley and green onions. Simmer until heated through. Divide the bisque in equal portions into four soups bowls. Garnish with the crab claws if you wish.

Makes 4 servings

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, Mara!
Those both sound really good! I will try those next time, they sound AMAZING!!

I found this recipe this morning on epicurious, made it tonight and it was fab, really easy, and DH and DS loved it! I used shrimp because the giant Florida pink shrimp looked so good. Best of all, it was super easy! You do need a Cuisinart to puree everything. :) I served it along with a Caesar salad with tons of lemon juice, and crusty baguettes!

EASY SHRIMP BISQUE
Bon Appétit
February 1997

Crisp baguette slices are a natural with this, or serve the Rosemary Toasts, substituting tarragon for the rosemary. Either way, a salad of Boston lettuce and Belgian endive with lemon vinaigrette makes a lovely accompaniment, and a fruit tart is a good grand finale.

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 3/4 cups bottled clam juice
3 tablespoons long-grain white rice
12 ounces cooked peeled deveined medium shrimp

3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon (or more) cayenne pepper
1 1/4 cups half and half

I added: 1/2 cup chardonnay. 1/4 cup of sherry and 1/2 tsp of tarragon as recommended by another reviewer on epicurious to kick up the flavor a little. I added it along with the clam juice. :)

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add clam juice and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Mix in shrimp. Cover and simmer until shrimp are heated through, about 1 minute. Set aside 6 shrimp for garnish.

Working in batches, puree soup with remaining shrimp in blender until smooth. Return soup to same saucepan. Whisk in tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Gradually whisk in half and half. Bring soup to a simmer. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved shrimp. Sprinkle with additional cayenne pepper, if desired, and serve.

2 Servings; Can Be Doubled.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have one I made for Christmas Eve last year.

NEVER AGAIN. It was a complete and utter PITA. But if you''d like it... I''ll dredge it up and post it. I saved shrimp shells for a year for it.
20.gif
I need my head examined.

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy-
that''s ok.
the one I posted was really yum and was really easy. 15 minutes of prep. :)

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/8/2006 7:51:33 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
Oooh, Mara!

I found this recipe this morning on epicurious, made it tonight and it was fab, really easy, and DH and DS loved it! I used shrimp because the giant Florida pink shrimp looked so good. Best of all, it was super easy! You do need a Cuisinart to puree everything. :) I served it along with a Caesar salad with tons of lemon juice, and crusty baguettes!

EASY SHRIMP BISQUE
Bon Appétit
February 1997

Crisp baguette slices are a natural with this, or serve the Rosemary Toasts, substituting tarragon for the rosemary. Either way, a salad of Boston lettuce and Belgian endive with lemon vinaigrette makes a lovely accompaniment, and a fruit tart is a good grand finale.

3/4 cup chopped onion

1 1/4 cups half and half

I added: 1/2 cup chardonnay. 1/4 cup of sherry and 1/2 tsp of tarragon as recommended by another reviewer on epicurious to kick up the flavor a little. I added it along with the clam juice. :)

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add clam juice and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Mix in shrimp. Cover and simmer until shrimp are heated through, about 1 minute. Set aside 6 shrimp for garnish.

Working in batches, puree soup with remaining shrimp in blender until smooth. Return soup to same saucepan. Whisk in tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Gradually whisk in half and half. Bring soup to a simmer. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with reserved shrimp. Sprinkle with additional cayenne pepper, if desired, and serve.

This sounds great! I *hate* pureeing hot liquids so I bought a hand blender and it usually works perfectly! You can just stick it in the pot. A blender might yield a perfectly smooth bisque but if you can live with 95% "perfection" then it saves a lot of time & mess, IMO. Plus, I like little bits of the meat in my bisque, be it lobster, crab or shrimp.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 9:46:05 AM
Author: Apsara

Date: 7/8/2006 7:51:33 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
Oooh, Mara!

EASY SHRIMP BISQUE
Bon Appétit
February 1997

3/4 cup chopped onion

1 1/4 cups half and half

This sounds great! I *hate* pureeing hot liquids so I bought a hand blender and it usually works perfectly! You can just stick it in the pot. A blender might yield a perfectly smooth bisque but if you can live with 95% ''perfection'' then it saves a lot of time & mess, IMO. Plus, I like little bits of the meat in my bisque, be it lobster, crab or shrimp.
1.gif
Me too! I love finding the little bits of seafood in the soup, it''s like hidden treasure..hehee.

That shrimp bisque sounds divine PF...maybe we''ll have to try it soon. I am a total sucker for bisque, if it''s on the menu at any restaurant, I HAVE to have it...hehee.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I might have to try one of these... I love bisques... but the one time I made it.... Still... 15 minutes of prep sounds fabulous... and just right!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow Mara! Pat Mould use to be on the daily news with his cooking! and you found his recipe?

i would have to agree that both of these two recipes you posted are closet to the ones i have. i am from louisiana, i''m sure you''ve figured that.

thanks for posting these, i''ll definitely be trying them, although i am sure they are super unhealthy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results