shape
carat
color
clarity

List Gems by Value

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve always been curious:
(For equal size and quality)

Is emerald more valuable than ruby?
Is diamond on top?
Where is tansanite?
Saphire?

Anyone have a list?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price-wise,I believe it depends on where the emerald,sapphire or ruby came from. A good Colombian emerald will cost more than an African one and sometimes more than a diamond. A Kashmir sapphire will cost more than Sapphires from other places and a Burma (pigeon blood?) Ruby will cost more than a ruby from Thailand. Because Tanzanite is so fragile, it isn't as expensive and isn't considered as valuable--it's still categorized as semi-precious in a lot of places. I believe "value" also may have a bit more to do with culture - some cultures value rubies and emeralds more than diamonds.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think that if you stick to the "finest" you also probabaly have to also pick a carat weight. Some gems are more rare in smaller sizes, while others are more rare in larger sizes.

The finest 3 carat unheated ruby is more costly than sapphires or emeralds
In a 1 carat size, one might find the finest emerald most costly.

You''d find a 1 carat superfine Aquamarine very expensive, but at 25 carats, not nearly as costly Per carat. Large aquamarines are less rare. Also, as they get larger, they become more difficult to use in commercial jewelry.

Like many questions asked about gemstones, there are few simple answers. So much of the value depends on so many variables. The market for colored gems is erratic compared to the one for diamonds. The sources are diverse and rather disorganized. There is little standardization of grading. Distribution channels are highly individualized. Treatments; acceptable, unknown, questionable, unacceptable and outright fruadulent, cloud the situation even further.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Interesting topic!
34.gif

At the top of the list might be The Moussaieff Red Diamond. I heard it sold for 1.9 million/ct.

Does anyone have something to top it????

Joker....

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
It all depends on the gemstone, carat weight & country of origin.

If you're talking top quality gemstone from important country of origin over four carats in size, I would rank them as following:

Ruby & Alexandrite
Diamond & Sapphire
Emerald

Tanzanite would bring up a distant fourth (fifth, sixth?). There's so many other stones worth more, such as fine quality demantoid garnet over four carats, or tsavorite.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 1:49:28 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood

If you''re talking top quality gemstone from important country of origin over four carats in size, I would rank them as following:

Ruby & Alexandrite

Diamond & Sapphire

Emerald

Tanzanite would bring up a distant fourth (fifth, sixth?). There''s so many other stones worth more, such as fine quality demantoid garnet over four carats, or tsavorite.

Wow, Rich, no kidding?! I am really surprised! I always thought that (all other things being equal) that diamonds reigned supreme as #1!!! Hmmmmm, wonder why we all aren''t ruby or alexandrite addicts???!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Thats what a great ad campaign will do for you. My birthstone is a ruby and I have gotten them since I was a baby(and i do love them!) but I want a diamond right now so much I spend hours on pricescope researching!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2005 6:16:07 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 12/21/2005 1:49:28 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood

If you''re talking top quality gemstone from important country of origin over four carats in size, I would rank them as following:

Ruby & Alexandrite

Diamond & Sapphire

Emerald

Tanzanite would bring up a distant fourth (fifth, sixth?). There''s so many other stones worth more, such as fine quality demantoid garnet over four carats, or tsavorite.
Wow, Rich, no kidding?! I am really surprised! I always thought that (all other things being equal) that diamonds reigned supreme as #1!!!
The qualifiers are important in that statement Lynn:

Top quality (& non-treated)
Important country of origin
Over 4 carats in size

In that category, ruby & alexandrite reign supreme. Otherwise, you are correct in that diamond would generally be more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results